Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7804 [50]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [18]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [5]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [5]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In some countries, real estate agents negotiating with prospective [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Clearly (E).

A: Unrelated. We have no information about earlier strong demand.
B: Out of scope. The commission of the agents is not being discussed here.
C: Out of scope. Old and new houses are not being discussed here.
D: We are discussing a market with falling, not rising, demand. Out of scope.
E: CORRECT. If the initial asking price is the minimum that the seller will accept, a lot many more houses will remain unsold than could be explained by just a drop in demand. This will happen because less houses will be sold due to lesser demand AND even those houses that could have been sold (in spite of the reduced demand) will remain unsold because the owners perceive that the price being offered is too low
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: In some countries, real estate agents negotiating with prospective [#permalink]
Kudos
Well it took me little time to decode whats going on in the last lines but via logic we can understand and decode this easily without even getting into core meaning .
Lets DECODE

1)In some countries, real estate agents negotiating with prospective clients who want to sell their houses all recommend initial asking prices that are as high as the current market permits. = so I am owner of my house and I wish to sell my house .My agent told me (recommended) to keep initial price max permitted price as per current market . Yeah I want best price thanks agent.
2)They(AGENT) do this because potential sellers are more likely to entrust their houses to the agent who values them highest. = yeah this agent is gonna make me richer. I am already impressed with the recommendation . So we have agreed to sell my house for 4 MILLION DOLLARS.
3)In a housing market with falling demand, =when demand for purchase of house falls
4)the predictable result is a sharper drop in the number of houses sold than the
drop in demand alone would account for.= normal demand should be at rate of 40 % (lets assume) ,but actual demand DROPPED by 80% . Well I want to sell my house for 4 million dollars coz my house is worth this amount .Now if demand for houses go low and I know market is down but I won't sell until the market comes up because I am in no hurry , my house is valuable and I ain't gonna sell it for fewer than 4 million dollars . and if other SELLERS too think my way then they too won't be selling their houses which would force the already low NATURALLY LOW DEMAND to fall more because no seller is ready to lower the price and no. of houses available for sale are not enough .

Option A vs E

In some countries, real estate agents negotiating with prospective clients who want to sell their houses all recommend initial asking prices that are as high as the current market permits. They do this because potential sellers are more likely to entrust their houses to the agent who values them highest. In a housing market with falling demand, the predictable result is a sharper drop in the number of houses sold than the drop in demand alone would account for.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the result described as predictable above?

(A) A drop in demand for houses depresses prices disproportionately if earlier strong demand stimulated much new construction.
NOW no info about new construction is given . We always have to choose BEST answer and E is better than this .Moreover the drop in demand depresess prices but still thsi option fails to tell us why there is sharp decrease in demand for houses .

(E) For many sellers of houses, the initial asking price comes to represent the true value, below which they will not sell.
This is exactly what we were thinking . IF SELLERS DONT SELL THE DEMAND WILL SHARPLY GO DOWN . its called forced downward push on demand (thats not official name I just gave it this name in case you wanna use this logic in other relevant CR) :)
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi
KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep RonPurewal

I was not able to understnad the last line
Can someone please help me?

Thanks
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
I was not able to understnad the last line
Can someone please help me?

The last line means that, for some reason, the practice of recommending initial asking prices that are as high as the current market permits causes a decrease in the number of houses sold that is greater than the decrease that would occur if a drop in demand were the only factor causing the decrease.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Understanding the argument -
The conclusion is, in a way, saying that with falling demand, one would expect 50 houses out of 100 to get sold, but the drop is even sharper. Only 10 out of 100 may get sold. So it means that there is something else that is causing this decline. That is what option E does.

Option elimination -

(A) A drop in demand for houses depresses prices disproportionately if earlier strong demand stimulated much new construction. It describes a scenario that's not in the scope of the argument. Out of scope.

(B) Real estate agents do not earn the commission on houses they help sell until the sale is actually executed. When the agents get a commission, it doesn't explain the result. Out of scope.

(C) Many people sell their old house below the asking price in order to obtain the funds to buy a new one - This may increase the number of houses sold. And doesn't help explain the result. It's not giving us any alternate reason that makes the drop sharper. Opposite of what we are looking for.

(D) In a housing market with rising demand, even houses that were originally overpriced usually sell at the asking price. - We are looking for falling demand. Out of scope.

(E) For many sellers of houses, the initial asking price comes to represent the true value, below which they will not sell. - perfect. This gives us an alternate reason. That reason is the high asking price which will add fuel to the fire and make the drop sharper.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts