Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:52 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 420
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Inconsistent Quant Performance [#permalink]
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

1. I have been studying since January. I took Manhattan Prep's Live class and saw no improvement during the class. It was honestly a waste of money, just some instructor going over the hw problems that I had completed earlier that week.

2. With that being said, I have completed all the Manhattan Prep books (with the exception of the advanced quant book). I actually did most of your Empower GMAT math material during a free trial I had (it was after that where I felt my quant had taken a slight step forward, and I hit Q44 and Q45 on my first attempts). After that, I began using GMAT Club Tests for about a month. I started by doing a test a day, but after I realized that even though I could get many of the higher level questions, I was making too many silly mistakes on the 500 and 600 problems. So, I began taking 31 questions quizzes just focusing on 500 and 600 level problems. As I said, I have scored around 90% on the 500 level problems (all completed), and about 70% on the 600 level problems (half the 600 level problems remain). Also, I have just recently purchased the Quant Focus diagnostic on MBA.com, but have yet to try it out.

3. Scores: GMAT prep has been very laggy, so I have had to take the quant and verbal separately on numerous occasions due to technical issues. So, if I do not list the total score, that is the reason.

GMAT Prep 1: Q44, V34, IR 5
GMAT Prep 2: 660: Q45, V37, IR 4
GMAT Prep 3: 680: Q44, V38, IR 7
GMAT Exam 1: 650: Q42, V38, IR 5, AWA 6
GMAT Prep 4: Q42, V38, IR 8
GMAT Prep 5: 720: Q48, V41, Ir 7 (3 days before the exam, may have been slightly lucky on verbal, but quant was pretty legit)
GMAT Exam 2: 650: Q42, V38, IR 7 (Cancelled)

4. I usually take the full cat (besides AWA) every time. I try to take the CATs around the same time as I schedule the real thing. But, the day I take the exams vary because I work part-time and my schedule is all over the place.

Goals:
5. I am shooting for a 720 (but, I think I could stomach a 700).

6. Next GMAT is scheduled for 3 weeks from now

7. Just finished undergrad, so not planning to apply for 3 or 4 years.

8. Not entirely sure, but I am definitely set on applying to all the top ten schools.

Thanks in advance for your help Rich.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi norovers,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your two Official Scores over this past month clearly show how consistent you are - and it stands to reason that unless you make some fundamental changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Quant section, then you will likely continue to score in the mid-600s +/- a few points. Based on everything that you have described, it will likely take at least another month of consistent, guided study for you to score 720+. Thus, you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date.

1) Did you purchase the Enhanced Score Report for either of your Official Exams? If you did, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
3) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date (even if it's just a couple of weeks)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Unfortunately, I did not purchase the ESR. But, I plan on completing one of the GMAT Quant Focus diagnostics, and I will happily share the results once it is completed. I can study about 40 hours per week. Regarding pushing back my test date, I think I am set on 3 weeks. I want to give myself two more cracks at the GMAT before I start work in August. If I push it back, I will only get 1 attempt.

I truly believe that my quant difficulties are not as much skill problems, as they are organizational/focus problems. For example, yesterday I completed 31, 600 level GMAT Club questions. I got 10 wrong, and more than half of my wrong responses were due to silly mistakes. For example, I missed a few questions because I missed key info at the beginning of the problem that caused me to choose the wrong answer even though the work was right. I missed another two because I got to the end of the problem, and did an easy calculation in my head instead of on the paper, and made a mental error. And, I got another two wrong because when testing numbers, I was not organized and even though I had the right answer on the page, I couldn't locate it because my work was messy.

Do you have any suggestions for how to organize my work better, and tips on how to ensure I never forget about the constraints of a given problem?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi non rovers,

I am really sorry that my question is not relevant to what you have shared! I am trying to get a solution but in vain!

You wrote that you took GMAT prep; in my case, the new online gmat prep platform is unable to load questions for some unknown reasons. I have tried unblocking pop ups and stuff, but it is not working. I would like whether you faced the same. If you can share your experience, would be a great help! I have written to gmac, however there is no response. Also, if the older software version is still available; it won't be the new format bit atleast get closer to the real experience. I am really once again to move places away from your problem.

Regards

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi norovers,

Based on what you have described, there are two major issues with your approach so far:

1) While I'm sure that you have worked through lots of practice questions, you continue to 'see' (and respond to) those questions in the same way: "your way." In simple terms, you've focused on 'quantity' instead of 'quality' - and that's why your two Official Scores are essentially identical. The Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test' - it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations (on the pad, NOT "in your head") as you work through it. To score at a much higher level in this section, you need to become more of a 'strategist' and less of a 'mathematician.'

2) Your studies appear 'crammed' - and studying 40 hours a week going forward is likely too much (doing so would also likely increase your chances of 'burning out' before Test Day - and that's something we want to avoid).

You've described a number of 'bad habits' that are keeping you from scoring higher - and it will take time to 'fix' those bad habits (and replace them with new 'good habits'). There's certainly no harm in continuing to study however you choose, but your current situation does not sound particularly 'efficient' - and you will still end up needing to make fundamental changes to how you handle the Quant section (while maintaining your Verbal skills) to consistently score in the 700s.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

I agree, I definitely feel that I need to alter my approach.

bb outlined his approach in his post (going from Q44-Q50), where he said he reads the problem once, takes 5 seconds to think if there is an easier method, then reads it again to take down all relevant info. I would like to try this approach but, am not sure how to make it stick. Should I continue solving questions in sets of 31? Or, should I try to implement in smaller sets? Do you have any insights into what helps train to train the brain more efficiently?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

I have just completed a quant focus diagnostic and was wondering if you could analyze my results? I really emphasized careful reading, and I tried to pause before diving into a question to plan my approach/think of a strategic way to answer. Although the results look a bit better, my timing was definitely an issue here; I had to guess on the last 3 and another problem in the middle.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attachments

File comment: Image 3
Quant Diag Image 3.png
Quant Diag Image 3.png [ 60.86 KiB | Viewed 1158 times ]

File comment: Image 2
Quant Diag Image 2.png
Quant Diag Image 2.png [ 91.8 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]

File comment: Image 1
Quant Diag Image 1.png
Quant Diag Image 1.png [ 126.39 KiB | Viewed 1181 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi norovers,

I've sent you a PM with some additional suggestions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot