Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [53]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT Date: 12-19-2012
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619251 [16]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT Date: 12-19-2012
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Is b/3 an integer? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

(1) (b^2−9)/3 is an integer. Given that \(\frac{b^2-9}{3}=integer\) --> \(\frac{b^2}{3}-3=integer\) --> \(\frac{b^2}{3}=integer\). Now, if \(b=0\), then \(\frac{b}{3}=0=integer\) but if \(b=\sqrt{3}\), then \(\frac{b}{3}\neq{integer}\). Not sufficient.

(2) p and p + 1 are prime factors of b. Since both \(p\) and \(p+1\) are primes, then \(p=2\) and \(p+1=3\). Thus we have that \(b\) is a multiple of 3. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to the rule #3: the name of the topic (subject field) MUST be the first 40 characters (~the first two sentences) of the question.

For (1) Can Someone or Bunuel explain why \(\frac{b^2-9}{3}=integer\) cannot --> \(\frac{(b-3)(b+3)}{3}=integer\) So that we can then assume that since b, b-3 and b+3 share factors, (1) is sufficient
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 110
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel, can you please explain why cannot we factor b^2 - 9 to (b-3)(b+3)? I marked D because I thought option A is sufficient. Please help!

Ameya
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619251 [1]
Send PM
Re: Is b/3 an integer? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ameya85 wrote:
Bunuel, can you please explain why cannot we factor b^2 - 9 to (b-3)(b+3)? I marked D because I thought option A is sufficient. Please help!

Ameya

We can factor b^2 - 9 as (b - 3)(b + 3) but how does this help to get sufficiency? Check examples in my post above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V31
Send PM
valerjo79 wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

(1) (b^2−9)/3 is an integer.
(2) p and p + 1 are prime factors of b.

All,

I am having trouble with even seemingly easy questions in DS and can't see my way out. Would you please advise? I picked A, but it is quite the opposite (B).

I have a fundamental error here. The question asks Is b/3 an int? So basically it is asking if I can answer as Yes or No.
So with (1) I get the answer as No
with (2) I get as Yes

So shouldn't the answer be D then because I can say yes or no in both (1) & (2)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619251 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anki2762 wrote:
valerjo79 wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

All,

I am having trouble with even seemingly easy questions in DS and can't see my way out. Would you please advise? I picked A, but it is quite the opposite (B).

I have a fundamental error here. The question asks Is b/3 an int? So basically it is asking if I can answer as Yes or No.
with (2) I get as Yes

In a Yes/No Data Sufficiency question, each statement is sufficient if the answer is “always yes” or “always no” while a statement is insufficient if the answer is "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no".

For (1) the answer is "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no". If \(b = 0\), then the answer is YES but of \(b = \sqrt{3}\), the answer is NO.

Also, on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other. So, we cannot have a NO answer from one statement and YES answer from another.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
anki2762 wrote:
valerjo79 wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

All,

with (2) I get as Yes

In a Yes/No Data Sufficiency question, each statement is sufficient if the answer is “always yes” or “always no” while a statement is insufficient if the answer is "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no".

For (1) the answer is "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no". If \(b = 0\), then the answer is YES but of \(b = \sqrt{3}\), the answer is NO.

Also, on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other. So, we cannot have a NO answer from one statement and YES answer from another.

Hope it's clear.

I hate to keep coming back to this but for \(\frac{(b-3)(b+3)}{3}\), if b is \(sqrt(3)\) the result is -2 which is an integer

I really do not understand how we cannot conclude that if at least one of \(b-3\) and \(b+3\) is a factor of 3, then both of them must be factors of 3 and consequently, \(b\) must also be a factor of 3.

Can someone please show me where I'm wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619251 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
gooner wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
anki2762 wrote:

Hope it's clear.

I hate to keep coming back to this but for \(\frac{(b-3)(b+3)}{3}\), if b is \(sqrt(3)\) the result is -2 which is an integer

I really do not understand how we cannot conclude that if at least one of \(b-3\) and \(b+3\) is a factor of 3, then both of them must be factors of 3 and consequently, \(b\) must also be a factor of 3.

Can someone please show me where I'm wrong?

Dear gooner,

The question asks whether b/3 an integer. Now, for \(b = \sqrt{3}\) is \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\) an integer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Can we say for a number such as [12][/3], the prime factors are 2 and 3. If yes, then Statement B doesn't give us a unique solution.

Thanks in advance.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
adashis wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Can we say for a number such as [12][/3], the prime factors are 2 and 3. If yes, then Statement B doesn't give us a unique solution.

Thanks in advance.

12/3 = 4 and 4 has only one prime - 2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Sorry a typo error, I meant for number 12*3^1/2
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
adashis wrote:
Sorry a typo error, I meant for number 12*3^1/2

When we talk about prime factors, divisors, multiples, we always consider only integers. There is no sense talking about the factors of \(12\sqrt{3}\).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29942 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
valerjo79 wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

]

Target question: Is b/3 an integer?

Statement 1: (b² − 9)/3 is an integer
There are several values of b that satisfy statement 1. Here are two:
Case a: b = 6. Here, (b² − 9)/3 = (6² − 9)/3 = (36 − 9)/3 = 27/3 = 9, and 9 is an integer. In this case, b/3 = 6/3 = 2. So, b/3 IS an integer
Case b: b = √18. Here, (b² − 9)/3 = (√18² − 9)/3 = (18 − 9)/3 = 9/3 = 3, and 3 is an integer. In this case, b/3 = (√18)/3 = (3√2)/3 = √2 (. So, b/3 is NOT an integer
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: p and p + 1 are prime factors of b
Notice that p and p+1 are CONSECUTIVE integers
Since p and p+1 are CONSECUTIVE integers, we know that one of the numbers must be odd and one must be even.
Since 2 is the ONLY even integer, we can conclude that p = 2 and p+1 = 3
Since p and p+1 are factors of b, we can see that b is divisible by 2 and by 3.
If b is divisible by 3, then b/3 must be an integer
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer:

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

(1) (b^2−9)/3 is an integer. Given that \(\frac{b^2-9}{3}=integer\) --> \(\frac{b^2}{3}-3=integer\) --> \(\frac{b^2}{3}=integer\). Now, if \(b=0\), then \(\frac{b}{3}=0=integer\) but if \(b=\sqrt{3}\), then \(\frac{b}{3}\neq{integer}\). Not sufficient.

(2) p and p + 1 are prime factors of b. Since both \(p\) and \(p+1\) are primes, then \(p=2\) and \(p+1=3\). Thus we have that \(b\) is a multiple of 3. Sufficient.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-pos ... 33935.html Pay attention to the rule #3: the name of the topic (subject field) MUST be the first 40 characters (~the first two sentences) of the question.

Hi Bunuel,

Why can't we take b as 6 \(\sqrt{12}\) ?? we have 2 and 3 as prime factors here as well. Please explain.

Thanks,
Uma
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Expert Reply
umabharatigudipalli wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-pos ... 33935.html Pay attention to the rule #3: the name of the topic (subject field) MUST be the first 40 characters (~the first two sentences) of the question.

Hi Bunuel,

Why can't we take b as 6 \(\sqrt{12}\) ?? we have 2 and 3 as prime factors here as well. Please explain.

Thanks,
Uma

Uma, when we talk of factors, ONLY integers can have factors
\(6\sqrt{12}=6*\sqrt{4*3}=12\sqrt{3}=12*1.732...\)
and this is NOT an integer..

you cannot take 6 in isolation as other part \(\sqrt{12}\) is not an integer..
example \(6*0.5\), this will not have 2 and 3 as prime factors because 6*0.5=3, so only 3

hope it helps
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619251 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
umabharatigudipalli wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks,
Uma

Uma, when we talk of factors, ONLY integers can have factors
\(6\sqrt{12}=6*\sqrt{4*3}=12\sqrt{3}=12*1.732...\)
and this is NOT an integer..

you cannot take 6 in isolation as other part \(\sqrt{12}\) is not an integer..
example \(6*0.5\), this will not have 2 and 3 as prime factors because 6*0.5=3, so only 3

hope it helps

On the GMAT when we are told that \(a\) is divisible by \(b\) (or which is the same: "\(a\) is multiple of \(b\)", or "\(b\) is a factor of \(a\)"), we can say that:
1. \(a\) is an integer;
2. \(b\) is an integer;
3. \(\frac{a}{b}=integer\).

Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
valerjo79 wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

Question : Is \(\frac{b}{3} = I\) ?

Or Is \(b = 3(I)\) , where I is an integer.

Statement 1 : \(\frac{{b^2 - 9}}{3} = I\) (integer)

\(b^2 = 3(I) + 9\)

\(b =\) \(+/- \sqrt{3(I) + 9}\)

So now, everything depends on the value of integer "I"

If I = 0, then b = +/- 3, and hence divisible by 3

If I = 1, then b will be decimal number, and hence not divisible by 3

INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2:

If b has prime factors as p and p+1, this means b = 6

Prime factors starts from 2, 3, 5, 7 etc.

Only 2 and 3 are of the form p and p+1.

(B) SUFFICIENT
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
valerjo79 wrote:
Is b/3 an integer?

[spoiler=]All,

Solution:

Statement One Only:

(b^2−9)/3 is an integer.

Since (b^2−9)/3 is an integer and 9/3 is an integer, it must be true that b^2/3 is also an integer. However, since 3 is a prime, b must itself be divisible by 3 if b^2 is divisible by 3. So, b/3 must be an integer.

Statement Two Only:

p and p + 1 are prime factors of b.

We see that p and p + 1 are consecutive integers. If they are both prime factors of b, then they must be 2 and 3, respectively (because 2 and 3 are the only prime numbers that are consecutive integers). In other words, p = 2 and p + 1 = 3. Since 3 is a prime factor of b, b/3 must be an integer.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts