Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 01:58 It is currently 09 May 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Schools: Rotman '23
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: Stern '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V41
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1972 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Is Manhattan Test Series a Joke or a Gimmick ? [#permalink]
Sheetal15 wrote:
I have seen all of you talking about Manhattan, kaplan tests but nobody recommending veritas. However, I gave two mocks and felt then pretty tough and not the actual GMAT level? Is it true? Or probably it was me consoling myself with an excuse on poor scores? :(

Posted from my mobile device

I personally don't feel that Veritas mocks are good. I never recommend people Veritas mocks. The algorithm is not great and the quality of questions is better in MGMAT.
Again it's up to you to decide!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Schools: Rotman '23
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Is Manhattan Test Series a Joke or a Gimmick ? [#permalink]
billionaire wrote:
anishraina wrote:
Okay, so last to last week I gave a GMAT prep mock 1 to see how much I was doing after giving 3 weeks or so on improving my verbal skills. I got 720(Q50, V37) and it went quite well and easy.
Since I have 6 Manhattan mocks, I decided to give one of them since I didn't want to exhaust all of my official mocks.
Now in Manhattan mock, throughout the exam, I felt the exam was EXTREMELY hard compared to my last exam. Like it was unreasonably difficult. At places, I had to even pause and do question because every question seemed to take a lot of time, and my priority was on getting it right rather than solving it in time.
I scored 690(Q49,V35). I would have been shocked with Q49, because I'm pretty solid at maths but this time I was like thank god because The quant section, seemed like a joke.

I have attached the level of questions that came in exam, in Quant 30 questions of lvl 700-800 with avg being 750+.
There was just 1 question 600-700. 30 QUESTIONS OUT OF 31 WERE 700-800!

Coming to verbal,
500-600: 2
600-700: 2
700-800: 32

So basically, out of the 68 questions, 62 were 700-800 lvl question(avg difficulty 750).
IS THIS A JOKE?
Are there any decent good CAT's that are actually useful? ( I currently have 3 official mocks left, just gave 1 till now, and GMAT club CAT's but the verbal and quant are sperate over there, although I plan to give all of them anyway).
I also have 5 MGMAT mocks left but honestly don't feel like giving them. Is this how everyone got out of their MGMAT mocks ? 62 700-800 questions ?

PS any sugesstion on good test series that have adapted the new gmat format or should I invest in further more offical mocks, i.e, mocks 5&6 ?

Hello anishraina

Congrats on good mock scores.

I count there Manhattan 690 also :-)

Yes it is not a secret that Manhattan is harder than real GMAT on quant, we all know that.

Seems like that is news to you. :-)

And that is actually a good thing, since it will be good prep for real thing.

So don't stress about Manhattan scores and don't take them literally as real GMAT prediction, you should add up 30-40 points.

And yes, you should take rest of them, all remaining 5 if you have time.

Scoring algorithm was not adaptive, it was random, questions were pre-selected in advance obviously, it will not be exactly like that on the rest of the exams, still you can expect be little harder than real exam.

Now, by far best thing for you is to buy additional official exams.

Nothing matches official exams. Period.

No need to explain why.

GMAT Club tests will also be harder on quant section, so be prepared for that.

Now, if you want third party tests, that are most closely related to real GMAT exam in terms of score prediction and question difficulty than go for Kaplan tests.

To summarize, all tests above that I mentioned are actually best option on market, official ones are out of competition, Manhattan and GMAT Club are harder on math which is advantage, if you don't fret about score :-o :shocked and Kaplan can simulate real exam difficulty.

It is for you to decide where to invest time and $$$.

If I were you, I would buy additional official ones for sure and depending on your ambition and allowed time for prep I would go for Manhattan/GMAT Club if you want to raise the bar and challenge yourself, or for Kaplan if comparing scores in terms of accurate prediction is most important for you now from psychological standpoint.

Hope this helps you to decide :cool:

billionaire
Thanks for your advice. Will probably get more official mocks.
And yes I knew MGMAT mock would be hard on quant but didn't know it would be hard on every question. How is that adaptive anymore then?

Also, I can still accept that okay quant is relatively hard on MGMAT, but verbal was also almost the same. Just 4 questions that were below 700 level out of 37.
I can understand that they make much harder tests to push you more, but the test felt just hard, not adaptive at all.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Is Manhattan Test Series a Joke or a Gimmick ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
One thing to keep in mind is that much of what you are looking to do when you take a practice test is to learn to deal with the pressures of the test and to practice seeing what you have to see and coming up with ways to get answers to tricky questions. For those purposes, a practice test that you take does not have to be exactly like the real GMAT.

The GMAT Prep official practice tests can be used for fine tuning your approach and confirming that you are ready to hit your score goal.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 13 Aug 2018, 07:02.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 08 Jan 2019, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22170 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi anishraina,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. For starters, when you take practice tests from companies other than GMAC, you should expect some variation in algorithms used and thus variations in your score. That being said, since there are 5 more official GMAC mocks that you can take, you may not need to take any additional non-GMAC tests. Thus, I suggest that you focus on improving your GMAT skills and take the remaining tests at the conclusion of your prep.

All that said, when do you plan to take the GMAT? What is your GMAT score goal? For how many hours do you plan to study between now and your scheduled GMAT? You may find this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot