Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Is OG11 a good estimator of the real test? [#permalink]
so for someone who is aiming for 700+, what's a good resource?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
 Q44  V42
Send PM
I used the MGMAT self study course, It worked well for me. MY biggest piece of advise would be to do AS MANY PRACTICE EXAMS AS YOU CAN. Do the practice exams throughout your studies not just at the end. That way you will be able to shore up your weeknesss. To make sure you have exam endurance make sure you do the essay's when you take the practice exam. Hmm what else get the laminated sheets of paper and the wet erase maker. This was very important for me as I'm a lefty. If possible try to take your practice exams around the same time your exam is scheduled. Let me know if you have any other questions.
SP :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
OG11 is not a good estimator of the real GMAT exam. OG 11 is a good way to practice for the real exam.

If you need to test yourself to see whether you are close to reaching your target GMAt score, test yourself via GMATPrep CAT exam or MGMAT CAT exams.

GMATPrep CAT exams are probably the best predictor of your actual GMAT score level. The software can be uninstalled (then delete folder in Program Files Folder) and installed again if you need to use it more than twice. Because the exam is pulled from a large question bank, you will most likely see a different exam each time.

For GMAT Quant specifically, MGMAT math questions are slightly more difficult than actual GMAt questions. GMAT Club math questions are good way to practice concepts and fundamentals.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
GMATPrep CAT exams are probably the best predictor of your actual GMAT score level. The software can be uninstalled (then delete folder in Program Files Folder) and installed again if you need to use it more than twice. Because the exam is pulled from a large question bank, you will most likely see a different exam each time.

Agreed on that -- my two tests were within 10 points of my actual GMAT score...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
GMATprep is by far the best predictor of actual test performance. Unfortunately, MGMAT is not such a good measurement tool, although majority of test takers find it good for practice.

With some experience (and with other posters experience) some future test performance could be estimated based on your results on OG questions. I wrote about that a while ago, if you want Q50 you have to obtain hit rate of 99% on the first 1/3 problems in OG, 95% on second 1/3 and 90% on the last. Actualy, I had Q48 and my OG hit rates were slightly lower than what I've described above.

However, one should be carefull with this estimations in the last six months, because it seems that GMAT is becoming more and more demanding. What was true a year ago might not be now.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
GMATPrep CAT exams are probably the best predictor of your actual GMAT score level. The software can be uninstalled (then delete folder in Program Files Folder) and installed again if you need to use it more than twice. Because the exam

Do I need to install and uninstall to get a new set of questions?

Shouldn't I just improve and then get a new set?

------------

Thanks everyone
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Quote:
Do I need to install and uninstall to get a new set of questions?

Shouldn't I just improve and then get a new set?

After using GMATPrep software twice, you need to uninstall it and follow my directions if you want to use it again. How often you use GMATPrep is completely up to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
GMATprep is by far the best predictor of actual test performance

I absolutely agree. I had a good friend who took both tests and got the exact same score on the real thing. I really think that everyone should just take the official guide and try to simulate a real test by using time-restricted practice limits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I used the prep tests 4 months ago to see where my score was. After a lot of studying and using OG 11 everyday, I get the feeling that I know nothing more. I agree it can be too easy. I have completed all 5 MGMAT books and questions and the SC book. I have done both supplements. I am still getting the same score I did before all of this. I am getting the impression that I am not improving and this is freaking me out. Things I have done so far:
some KAPLAN 800, SC MGMAT, ALL 5 MGMAT Math, Verbal review, quant review, Kaplan Prep book, Kaplan prep cd with tests.
My friend only completed 1/4 of the things I have done and scored 700.
My test is scheduled in two weeks. I am upset because I have out my whole life into this.

Any tips?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
lalalilolila wrote:
I used the prep tests 4 months ago to see where my score was. After a lot of studying and using OG 11 everyday, I get the feeling that I know nothing more. I agree it can be too easy. I have completed all 5 MGMAT books and questions and the SC book. I have done both supplements. I am still getting the same score I did before all of this. I am getting the impression that I am not improving and this is freaking me out. Things I have done so far:
some KAPLAN 800, SC MGMAT, ALL 5 MGMAT Math, Verbal review, quant review, Kaplan Prep book, Kaplan prep cd with tests.
My friend only completed 1/4 of the things I have done and scored 700.
My test is scheduled in two weeks. I am upset because I have out my whole life into this.

Any tips?

The problem is that many people have this idea that if you keep on doing the problems again and again, your score will improve. That is not true.

If a baseball pitcher wants to become a better pitcher, he can't just keep on throwing balls to the catcher over and over again and expect his skills to get better.

Same logic applies to GMAT studies. Rather than keep on taking practice exams and just solving the questions, make sure you read the answer explanation and LEARN the logic behind all the madness whether you got the answer correct or not. Without truely understanding the logic behind the correct and wrong answers (and why you keep on choosing certain type of answers), you won't improve.

I say, you take a week off from GMAT studies and start over. This time, try to understand the explanation and really grasp the logic behind the answer explanation. That's the only way to improve the score.
GMAT Club Bot