Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 06:55 It is currently 07 May 2024, 06:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3032 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22152 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1996 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Is the GMAT only for the young guns? [#permalink]
Kudos
upgmat wrote:
I am currently 39. I have registered for the exam and I have only 2 months in hand.

However I am feeling my mind is working slowly than it was 15 years back. Is there a relationship between age and the speed at which you are able to reason at this age or for a 39 year old I should not worry too much on this front?

Hi
It is true the mind is not as fast in standardized tests as of a 20-30 age person, but it is not impossible. You can find lots of people in this forum who are in the late 30s but have cracked the Gmat with great scores. If you have the belief, you can achieve. More so because Gmat tests your logical skills more which in my opinion increases with age. So, all the best for your prep and use the Gmatclub to your advantage. You can find lots of resources here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello ganand ScottTargetTestPrep souvonik2k

Thank you for taking the time out and motivating me!

Thanking you once again!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
upgmat wrote:
I am currently 39. I have registered for the exam and I have only 2 months in hand.

However I am feeling my mind is working slowly than it was 15 years back. Is there a relationship between age and the speed at which you are able to reason at this age or for a 39 year old I should not worry too much on this front?

Hi Upgmat.

First of all, you can be 39 and still achieve a great GMAT score! With that said, I'd be happy to provide some advice but first would like to learn some more about you and your GMAT goals. I have some questions:

1) How many practice GMAT tests have you taken? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

2) Please describe how you have been studying and what materials you have been using. How many hours a day and for how many months?

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

6) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

7) What is your desired GMAT score?

Thanks!

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep

Thanks for your time and guidance. Much appreciated.

I managed to revise few concepts during the past two weeks. I solved the Quant & verbal OG 2018. I am planning to study 3-4 hours daily. I have succeeded doing this from past two weeks.

I gave my first mock yesterday morning. Around same time slot which have registered for the real exam on 1st sept, i.e. 10: AM (I started around 10:20 AM)

My performance was pathetic. I scored a V18. I was screwed up with my first RC. I just did not connect with it. I spent too much time on it. Subsequently I ran out of time & had to guess on last 8-10 questions. The break up is as follows:-

Attachment:
2018-07-15_13-13-10.png
2018-07-15_13-13-10.png [ 4.28 KiB | Viewed 784 times ]

My performance on CR was ok. As you can see the performance in RC and SC is not worth mentioning further. The figures speak for themselves that I need to improve on accuracy and timing. I have decided to do 20 SC questions daily from today and in a months time I should have completed 600 questions. I will solve 2-3 RC passages daily for a month and lets see how it goes?

My quant score was Q47. (PS - 6 incorrect: DS-7 incorrect ; total 13 incorrect). When I reviewed I could have got 6 of this 13 questions correct if I had been more careful. For others I think I am lagging behind in understanding of concepts and will have to improve in the coming few weeks by doing a thorough conceptual review. I must add that in the past two weeks I had more time on Quant, revising basic formulas & concepts, than in Verbal. But now I will spend more time doing Verbal, specially SC & RC.

I got 3 on IR. Just was feeling too bad after Verbal and less motivated. But I have realised that I will have to focus on IR too.

AWA was ok. Tried to do a decent job. I want to get the essay reviewed I am unable to see my submission.

I also wanted to review my timing for each question of this mock but I am unable to find these details? Are these details available?

Yes, without thinking & before I gave a mock, I had registered to give the exam on 1st Sept 2018, 10:00 AM slot but not feeling confident after seeing yesterdays performance that I will be able to crack 760+ in one and a half months.
I am planning to apply during December-2018-Feb 2019 admission deadlines (Aiming to get into research masters with full scholarship & living stipend into top programs)

Please let me know if you realize any gaps in my understanding.
GMAT Club Bot