Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 18:11 It is currently 04 May 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Job Prospects after M.Sc. Finance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
KdX41 wrote:
Hi everyone. I wanted some help with selecting a university to apply to for an M.Sc. Finance or MiF program. This is for the 2021/22 admission cycle.
Due to a low GPA(6.5/10) in my B.Sc. Mathematics program, I am discarding the top tier institutes from my list. But I have a very high GMAT to show (770). 
The only other interesting element in my CV is a published research paper.
I do not have any work experience nor do I have any volunteering experience. 
Sports only at school level, not national.I will be starting a 6 month research assistantship in the month of August.
Add to all this, I am from India.

Keeping all this in mind, how feasible is it for me to land a job within 3 months of my masters' graduation?
The main issue is selecting the country of study. 
From what I've heard, places like Australia have had a history of having unemployed Australian Finance postgraduates, let alone foreigners. France and Ireland have had some issues with giving EU students preference over non EU students.
Also the language barrier in most European countries could be an issue. I am fluent in English and can speak acceptable German.

Sorry for the long post but any help with this would be much appreciated. If you want to share your experiences, please do so.

Note: All the above issues about the respective countries are from opinions of students currently studying there whom I've contacted. If you have any contrasting knowledge, do let me know.

Thank You.

Congratulations on a tip-top GMAT. A 770 will be impressive to any school and it shows that you are more than a left-brain. You are correct that your GPA will be a detractor, especially considering your demo, but that GMAT score should make up for that somewhat to prove that you can handle intellectual/academic rigor.

So much is up in the air now regarding immigration and work visas and each country already varies significantly. In the U.S. (which you did not explicitly mention), masters students with a focus in stat or strategy generally qualified for special work authorization, but this may change given the recent news H1B1. In general, the better the school and the better your grades, the more likely you will land with an employer that knows how to “play the game” and get you hired. Employers like the big banks, M/B/B, tech companies like Facebook, Microsoft, Google hire a lot of internationals. If they lose the visa lottery, they often find a “home” for a candidate they really want in another jurisdiction (e.g., if Microsoft can’t have a finance manager start in Seattle as preferred, they’ll start in Montreal ditto with employers in England who have their employees start in Ireland). Most companies don’t have the legal and financial resources to deal with the ever-increasing immigration restrictions, so you’ll probably want to target the largest marquis companies that do, and these companies recruit at the best schools. So your best shot at landing with a company like this is to get in to a top-ranked school in the U.S. or Western Europe (or maybe INSEAD in Singapore) and do well enough there to recruit for these positions. I think you’ll find even the toughest masters programs in Europe and U.S. will be easier academically than studying Math in India. It would surprise me if you couldn’t get very good marks once you got into these sort of schools -- the challenge will be gaining admission given your demo and self-admitted academic underperformance in undergrad.

Taking a few finance classes (even online -- which may be preferable given the pandemic) and doing well in them will be a good way to signal readiness and competence in the area you want to study. You can add that to your resume and it might make up for lower marks in undergrad. You’ll need to make sure your strategic positioning (e.g., why you are transitioning from Math to Finance, what you want to do with your degree, how you will contribute to the school community while a masters student and how that syncs with prior civic engagement and volunteer leadership) is clear and compelling in your essays. If speaking to an admissions consultant may be helpful to you re strategic positioning ands school choice given post-graduation plans, feel free to sign up for a free consultation here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Job Prospects after M.Sc. Finance [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts