Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 20:36 It is currently 17 May 2024, 20:36
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 Aug 2023
Posts: 47
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 May 2023
Posts: 11
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. A nutritional research company published an article describing the health benefits of red wine. The article led to a substantial increase in sales of the beverage. The Carducci vineyard is one that specializes in such wine, following a family tradition of over 400 years. Every year it releases a new wine. The Carducci sales figures for the year after the article was published were very low although the wine gained popularity amongst gourmet chefs. Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above? A. Wine made by the Carducci vineyard is not officially considered red wine. B. Very low red wine sales figures cannot be greatly affected by a gained popularity amongst gourmet chefs. C. The Carducci wine released the year after the article was published was of a lower quality than its usual standard. D. The article referred to Carducci wine in a negative light. E. Medical publications can eliminate entire industries overnight if they are not carefully phrased. Difficulty - Hard



winterschool wrote:
Q2. Credit Card Spokesperson: "It is to the benefit of all credit customers that we increase the interest rates of those cardholders who present a high risk of defaulting on their obligations. A way to offset the costs of these customers’ defaults is to increase the interest rates of all customers, including those who are at almost no risk of defaulting on their lines of credit." Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that the logic of the credit card spokesperson is flawed? A. Credit card companies could offset the costs of defaults by raising the fees they charge to merchants who accept credit cards. B. Increasing the interest rates on high-risk cardholders is more likely to result in these cardholders defaulting. C. Many credit card customers pay their bills in full each month, avoiding interest charges. D. Increasing interest rates would not result in a higher monthly payment for high-risk cardholders. E. Credit card companies have historically offered cards to high-risk customers at higher interest rates than those given to low-risk customers.



CR Questions September - 2 :

Q1. The production of leather and fur for clothing is labor intensive, which means that these materials have tended to be expensive. But as fashion has moved away from these materials, their prices have dropped, while prices of some materials that require less labor in their production and are more fashionable have risen.

The situation described above conforms most closely to which one of the following generalizations?

(A) The price of any manufactured good depends more on how fashionable that good is than on the materials it is made from.

(B) It is more important for the materials used in the manufacture of clothing to be fashionable than it is for them to be practical.

(C) Materials that require relatively little labor in their production tend to be fashionable.

(D) The appearance of a manufactured good is the only thing that determines whether it is fashionable.

(E) Cultural trends tend to be an important determinant of the prices of materials used in manufacturing.


Difficulty - Hard

Q2. In mountainous regions, the timberline is the highest altitude at which trees grow. In the Rocky Mountains, the current timberline is at the altitude above which growing season temperatures remain cooler than 10 degrees centigrade. Fossilized remains of trees that grew 10,000 years ago have been found 100 meters above the current Rocky Mountain timberline. Clearly, therefore, the climate of the Rocky Mountains is cooler now than it was 10,000 years ago.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies?

A. In the past 10,000 years, the only trees to have grown above today’s timberline are the trees whose fossilized remains been found.

B. No trees grew 10,000 years ago at altitudes higher than the ones at which fossilized tree remains have been found.

C. The fossils are not of species of trees that were able to tolerate cooler growing temperatures than are the species that currently grow near the timberline.

D. The Rocky Mountains have not eroded significantly over the past 10,000 years.

E. The climate of the Rocky Mountains has never been significantly warmer than during the lifetime of the trees whose fossilized remains have been found.


Difficulty - Hard
Director
Director
Joined: 30 Jul 2019
Posts: 927
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [0]
Given Kudos: 1291
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q2. In mountainous regions, the timberline is the highest altitude at which trees grow. In the Rocky Mountains, the current timberline is at the altitude above which growing season temperatures remain cooler than 10 degrees centigrade. Fossilized remains of trees that grew 10,000 years ago have been found 100 meters above the current Rocky Mountain timberline. Clearly, therefore, the climate of the Rocky Mountains is cooler now than it was 10,000 years ago. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies? A. In the past 10,000 years, the only trees to have grown above today’s timberline are the trees whose fossilized remains been found. B. No trees grew 10,000 years ago at altitudes higher than the ones at which fossilized tree remains have been found. C. The fossils are not of species of trees that were able to tolerate cooler growing temperatures than are the species that currently grow near the timberline. D. The Rocky Mountains have not eroded significantly over the past 10,000 years. E. The climate of the Rocky Mountains has never been significantly warmer than during the lifetime of the trees whose fossilized remains have been found. Difficulty - Hard

C

poojaarora1818 wrote:
Maybe C

Sorry Pls ignore this.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. During the literary renaissance of the 1920s, a large number of new writers— William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, John Dos Passos, and F. Scott Fitzgerald—sought to record the inner life of Americans and to scrutinize the American dream, the dream that anyone can earn his own fortune and live happily ever after through hard work, which had become tarnished. A. the dream that anyone can earn his own fortune and live happily ever after through hard work, which had become tarnished B. the tarnished dream that anyone can make his own fortune and live happily ever after through hard work C. the tarnished dream that anyone can, through hard work, make his own fortune and live happily ever after D. the dream that anyone can earn his own fortune and live happily ever after, though tarnished, through hard work E. that making one’s own fortune and living happily ever after, through hard work, had become tarnished Difficulty - Hard



winterschool wrote:
Q2. Max Roach, already an accomplished drummer by the age of 10, played on one of the most influential jazz albums ever and with some of the art’s greatest performers, considered by critics to be a turning point in recorded jazz. A. played on one of the most influential jazz albums ever and with some of the art’s greatest performers, considered by critics to be a turning point in recorded jazz B. considered by critics to be a turning point in recorded jazz, played on many of the most influential jazz albums and with some of the art’s greatest performers C. played on one of the most influential jazz albums ever, considered by critics to be a turning point in recorded jazz, and with some of the art’s greatest performers D. played on one of the most influential jazz albums, considered as a turning point in recorded jazz by critics and with some of the art’s greatest performers E. played, considered by critics to be a turning point in recorded jazz, on one of the most influential jazz albums ever, and with some of the art’s greatest performers Difficulty - Hard



SC Questions September - 4 :

Q1. A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the



Difficulty - Hard

Q2. For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often shine an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket.

(A) For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often

(B) Despite they are useful in facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, often

(C) Because they are quite useful in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, can often

(D) Quite useful when facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, which frequently

(E) For their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, frequently



Difficulty - Hard
Director
Director
Joined: 30 Jul 2019
Posts: 927
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [0]
Given Kudos: 1291
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q2. For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often shine an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket. (A) For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often (B) Despite they are useful in facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, often (C) Because they are quite useful in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, can often (D) Quite useful when facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, which frequently (E) For their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, frequently Difficulty - Hard

Either B or C. Not so sure.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 30 Nov 2020
Posts: 14
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
pleasehelp in answering this with reasoning
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. The production of leather and fur for clothing is labor intensive, which means that these materials have tended to be expensive. But as fashion has moved away from these materials, their prices have dropped, while prices of some materials that require less labor in their production and are more fashionable have risen. The situation described above conforms most closely to which one of the following generalizations? (A) The price of any manufactured good depends more on how fashionable that good is than on the materials it is made from. (B) It is more important for the materials used in the manufacture of clothing to be fashionable than it is for them to be practical. (C) Materials that require relatively little labor in their production tend to be fashionable. (D) The appearance of a manufactured good is the only thing that determines whether it is fashionable. (E) Cultural trends tend to be an important determinant of the prices of materials used in manufacturing. Difficulty - Hard



winterschool wrote:
Q2. In mountainous regions, the timberline is the highest altitude at which trees grow. In the Rocky Mountains, the current timberline is at the altitude above which growing season temperatures remain cooler than 10 degrees centigrade. Fossilized remains of trees that grew 10,000 years ago have been found 100 meters above the current Rocky Mountain timberline. Clearly, therefore, the climate of the Rocky Mountains is cooler now than it was 10,000 years ago. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies? A. In the past 10,000 years, the only trees to have grown above today’s timberline are the trees whose fossilized remains been found. B. No trees grew 10,000 years ago at altitudes higher than the ones at which fossilized tree remains have been found. C. The fossils are not of species of trees that were able to tolerate cooler growing temperatures than are the species that currently grow near the timberline. D. The Rocky Mountains have not eroded significantly over the past 10,000 years. E. The climate of the Rocky Mountains has never been significantly warmer than during the lifetime of the trees whose fossilized remains have been found. Difficulty - Hard



CR Questions September - 4 :

Q1. Dillworth: More and more people are deciding not to have children because of the personal and economic sacrifices children require and because so often children are ungrateful for the considerable sacrifices their parents do make for them. However, such considerations have no bearing on the fact that their children provide the best chance most people have of ensuring that their values live on after them. Therefore, for anyone with deeply held values, foregoing parenthood out of reluctance to make sacrifices for which little gratitude can be expected would probably be a mistake.
Travers: Your reasoning ignores another fact that deserves consideration: children’s ingratitude for parental sacrifices usually stems from a wholesale rejection of parental values.

The point of Travers’ rejoinder to Dillworth’s argument is that


(A) Dillworth’s assumption that children acquire values only from their parents is mistaken

(B) it is a mistake to dismiss as irrelevant the personal and economic sacrifices people are called on to make for the sake of their children

(C) Dillworth has overlooked the well-known fact that people with deeply held values not infrequently reject opposing values that are deeply held by others

(D) the desire to perpetuate their values should not be a factor in people’s decision to have children

(E) the fact that children are often ungrateful for parental sacrifices is not irrelevant to deciding whether to have children in order to perpetuate one’s values


Difficulty - Hard

Q2. During the presidential debates, representatives from some states were dissatisfied with recent budget reforms, saying the new budget changes fail to meet the goal of directing federal funds to states who were most weakened by the financial recession. Their criticism is primarily based on the fact that most states that now receive additional funding are states with major city populations that enjoyed a budget surplus last year. What the critics disregard, though, is the fact that all the states who had their funding increased had been identified by an assessment committee as having greater than 20% decline in economic output over the past year. So regardless of the states’ budget surplus or deficit, the federal government has not failed to distribute funds fairly.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Rather than being determined by budget surplus or deficit, the amount of funding a state needs depends on whether it has a major city or not.

(B) The number of states that have received an increase in funding represents a significant proportion of all the states in the country.

(C) The committee’s assessment of states’ financial needs has been deemed biased by the local media.

(D) The assessment committee did not identify many states with greater than 20% decline in economic output other than those with major cities and budget surpluses in the last year.

(E) States with budget deficits typically had more decline in economic output than did states with major cities and budget surpluses.



Difficulty - Hard
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
srishin wrote:
pleasehelp in answering this with reasoning

D explains why profits would fall
Intern
Intern
Joined: 30 Nov 2020
Posts: 14
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
D explains why profits would fall

can you please explain with example? Like- Let’s assume fee of copper as 10 and of fibre optic as 12. Additional revenue here is 2. So, the cost of copper to be taken as 1 and cost of optic fibre as 0.5. Profit from Copper is 10-1=9 and from fibre optic(fee reduced to that of copper) is 10-0.5= 9.5. Optic fiber still has higher profit. How does option (D) solve the paradox?
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
srishin wrote:
can you please explain with example? Like- Let’s assume fee of copper as 10 and of fibre optic as 12. Additional revenue here is 2. So, the cost of copper to be taken as 1 and cost of optic fibre as 0.5. Profit from Copper is 10-1=9 and from fibre optic(fee reduced to that of copper) is 10-0.5= 9.5. Optic fiber still has higher profit. How does option (D) solve the paradox?

assume ’X’ = extras charge for each FB connection and Y= extra charge for each Co Connection. From D, X>Y. X-Y = something, which is the amount of revenue for each connection that will decrease. revenue decrease, so profit decrease. this option explains partially. if profits from high efficiency connection is more than X-y + low connection fee, than this option will fall. Still D is better than other option I guess

winterschool wrote:
Q1. A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site. (A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as (B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and (C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the (D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the (E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the Difficulty - Hard



winterschool wrote:
Q2. For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often shine an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket. (A) For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often (B) Despite they are useful in facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, often (C) Because they are quite useful in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, can often (D) Quite useful when facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, which frequently (E) For their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, frequently Difficulty - Hard



SC Questions September - 5 :
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Q1. The charitable trust disbursed 8.7 million dollars in loans over the course of the last one year, however, now they don’t remember who they gave it to.

(A) however, now they don’t remember who they gave it to

(B) however, now they don’t remember whom they gave the loans to

(C) however, now they don’t remember who it gave it to

(D) but now it doesn’t remember whom it gave them to

(E) but now it doesn’t remember who it gave the loans to


Difficulty - Hard
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Aug 2023
Posts: 6
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Location: Nepal
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
What is the right answer?
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Q2. Winemaking during the Prohibition era, a period when the consumption and sale of alcoholic beverages was illegal, suffered for two main reasons: the few winemakers in operation were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, sacrificing quality but better suited to long distance transport, and many winemakers emigrated, taking with them the knowledge of how to create wine.

A) the few winemakers in operation were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, sacrificing quality but better suited to long distance transport, and many winemakers emigrated, taking

B) because the few winemakers operating were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, which sacrifice quality but are better suited for long distance transport, and because many winemakers emigrated and they took

C) the few winemakers in operation were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, which sacrifices quality but are better suited to long distance transport, and many winemakers emigrated, thereby taking

D) the few winemakers operating were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, which are of a low quality but are better suited for long distance transport, and many winemakers emigrated, taking

E) because the few winemakers in operation were forced to use thick-skinned grapes—quality had been sacrificed but the grapes were better suited for long distance transport—and many winemakers emigrated, thereby taking


Difficulty - Hard

Abhishektarget750 wrote:
What is the right answer?

for which question
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Sep 2023
Posts: 24
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Anyone has a link to the verbal question bank?
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. The charitable trust disbursed 8.7 million dollars in loans over the course of the last one year, however, now they don’t remember who they gave it to. (A) however, now they don’t remember who they gave it to (B) however, now they don’t remember whom they gave the loans to (C) however, now they don’t remember who it gave it to (D) but now it doesn’t remember whom it gave them to (E) but now it doesn’t remember who it gave the loans to Difficulty - Hard



winterschool wrote:
Q2. Winemaking during the Prohibition era, a period when the consumption and sale of alcoholic beverages was illegal, suffered for two main reasons: the few winemakers in operation were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, sacrificing quality but better suited to long distance transport, and many winemakers emigrated, taking with them the knowledge of how to create wine. A) the few winemakers in operation were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, sacrificing quality but better suited to long distance transport, and many winemakers emigrated, taking B) because the few winemakers operating were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, which sacrifice quality but are better suited for long distance transport, and because many winemakers emigrated and they took C) the few winemakers in operation were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, which sacrifices quality but are better suited to long distance transport, and many winemakers emigrated, thereby taking D) the few winemakers operating were forced to use thick-skinned grapes, which are of a low quality but are better suited for long distance transport, and many winemakers emigrated, taking E) because the few winemakers in operation were forced to use thick-skinned grapes—quality had been sacrificed but the grapes were better suited for long distance transport—and many winemakers emigrated, thereby taking Difficulty - Hard



SC Questions September - 6 :

Q1. Either substitutes or a close competitor define the majority of customers that a company competes for growing mainly through customer acquisition.

(A) define the majority of customers that a company competes for growing mainly through customer acquisition

(B) defines the majority of customers that a company growing mainly through customer acquisition competes for

(C) defines the majority of customers that a company competes for growing mainly through customer acquisition

(D) define the majority of customers that a company growing mainly through customer acquisition competes for

(E) defines the majority of customers competing for a company growing mainly through customer acquisition


Difficulty - Hard

Q2. The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

(A) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased

(B) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have been increasing

(C) has become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased

(D) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased

(E) have become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased


Difficulty - Hard
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. Dillworth: More and more people are deciding not to have children because of the personal and economic sacrifices children require and because so often children are ungrateful for the considerable sacrifices their parents do make for them. However, such considerations have no bearing on the fact that their children provide the best chance most people have of ensuring that their values live on after them. Therefore, for anyone with deeply held values, foregoing parenthood out of reluctance to make sacrifices for which little gratitude can be expected would probably be a mistake. Travers: Your reasoning ignores another fact that deserves consideration: children’s ingratitude for parental sacrifices usually stems from a wholesale rejection of parental values. The point of Travers’ rejoinder to Dillworth’s argument is that (A) Dillworth’s assumption that children acquire values only from their parents is mistaken (B) it is a mistake to dismiss as irrelevant the personal and economic sacrifices people are called on to make for the sake of their children (C) Dillworth has overlooked the well-known fact that people with deeply held values not infrequently reject opposing values that are deeply held by others (D) the desire to perpetuate their values should not be a factor in people’s decision to have children (E) the fact that children are often ungrateful for parental sacrifices is not irrelevant to deciding whether to have children in order to perpetuate one’s values Difficulty - Hard



winterschool wrote:
Q2. During the presidential debates, representatives from some states were dissatisfied with recent budget reforms, saying the new budget changes fail to meet the goal of directing federal funds to states who were most weakened by the financial recession. Their criticism is primarily based on the fact that most states that now receive additional funding are states with major city populations that enjoyed a budget surplus last year. What the critics disregard, though, is the fact that all the states who had their funding increased had been identified by an assessment committee as having greater than 20% decline in economic output over the past year. So regardless of the states’ budget surplus or deficit, the federal government has not failed to distribute funds fairly. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends? (A) Rather than being determined by budget surplus or deficit, the amount of funding a state needs depends on whether it has a major city or not. (B) The number of states that have received an increase in funding represents a significant proportion of all the states in the country. (C) The committee’s assessment of states’ financial needs has been deemed biased by the local media. (D) The assessment committee did not identify many states with greater than 20% decline in economic output other than those with major cities and budget surpluses in the last year. (E) States with budget deficits typically had more decline in economic output than did states with major cities and budget surpluses. Difficulty - Hard



CR Questions September - 6 :

Q1. Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country’s continued economic growth requires a higher level of personal savings than we currently have. A recent legislative proposal would allow individuals to set up savings accounts in which interest earned would be exempt from taxes until money is withdrawn from the account. Backers of this proposal claim that its implementation would increase the amount of money available for banks to loan at a relatively small cost to the government in lost tax revenues. Yet, when similar tax-incentive programs were tried in the past, virtually all of the money invested through them was diverted from other personal savings, and the overall level of personal savings was unchanged.

The passage as a whole provides the most support for which one of the following conclusions?


(A) Backers of the tax-incentive proposal undoubtedly have some motive other than their expressed aim of increasing the amount of money available for banks to loan.

(B) The proposed tax incentive is unlikely to attract enough additional money into personal savings accounts to make up for the attendant loss in tax revenues.

(C) A tax-incentive program that resulted in substantial loss of tax revenues would be likely to generate a large increase in personal savings.

(D) The economy will be in danger unless some alternative to increased personal savings can be found to stimulate growth.

(E) The government has no effective means of influencing the amount of money that people are willing to put into savings accounts.

Q2. Ten years after graduation, men and women who had participated in the Thompson High School basketball program were surveyed with regard to their individual playing records for their teams. Some of the results of the survey were curious. Seventy-five percent of those responding reported that they had started for their respective boys’ or girls’ teams, when the actual number of boys and girls who had started for their teams was only 50%.

Which one of the following provides the most helpful explanation for the apparent contradiction in these survey results?


(A) A very small number of those responding were incorrect in reporting that they held starting positions.

(B) A disproportionately high number of players who started for their teams responded to the survey.

(C) Not all starting players responded to the survey.

(D) Almost all men and women who played basketball for Thompson High School ten years earlier responded to the survey.

(E) Not all good basketball players started for their teams; some good players were deliberately held out to play later in the game.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 2001
Own Kudos [?]: 1617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. Either substitutes or a close competitor define the majority of customers that a company competes for growing mainly through customer acquisition. (A) define the majority of customers that a company competes for growing mainly through customer acquisition (B) defines the majority of customers that a company growing mainly through customer acquisition competes for (C) defines the majority of customers that a company competes for growing mainly through customer acquisition (D) define the majority of customers that a company growing mainly through customer acquisition competes for (E) defines the majority of customers competing for a company growing mainly through customer acquisition Difficulty - Hard



winterschool wrote:
Q2. The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians. (A) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have increased (B) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, have been increasing (C) has become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased (D) have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased (E) have become an ongoing threat because of drought and booming population density, has increased Difficulty - Hard



SC Questions September - 8 :

Q1. At a discussion panel on the making of Secrets and Lies, British director Mike Leigh stated that by involving actors in the creative process, beginning with the conception of the piece, through research, discussion, improvisation, rewrites, and rehearsals, he aims to depict real life.


A. rewrites, and rehearsals, he aims to depict real life

B. rewriting, and rehearsing, he aims to depict real life

C. which by rewriting and rehearsing he aimed to depict real life

D. rehearsals, and rewrites, his aim is to depict life realistically

E. rehearsals, and rewrites, he aimed to depict life realistically



Difficulty - Hard

Q2. Pharmaceuticals, despite facing an ongoing innovation challenge, ranks as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only by internet and network services.

A] ranks as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only

B] rank as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed

C] has the rank of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed

D] are one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only

E] have been ranked as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed
Manager
Manager
Joined: 30 Jun 2021
Posts: 139
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
Location: India
GMAT 1: 400 Q34 V13
GPA: 3.04
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. At a discussion panel on the making of Secrets and Lies, British director Mike Leigh stated that by involving actors in the creative process, beginning with the conception of the piece, through research, discussion, improvisation, rewrites, and rehearsals, he aims to depict real life. A. rewrites, and rehearsals, he aims to depict real life B. rewriting, and rehearsing, he aims to depict real life C. which by rewriting and rehearsing he aimed to depict real life D. rehearsals, and rewrites, his aim is to depict life realistically E. rehearsals, and rewrites, he aimed to depict life realistically Difficulty - Hard

NOT SURE BUT IMO D

winterschool wrote:
Q1. At a discussion panel on the making of Secrets and Lies, British director Mike Leigh stated that by involving actors in the creative process, beginning with the conception of the piece, through research, discussion, improvisation, rewrites, and rehearsals, he aims to depict real life. A. rewrites, and rehearsals, he aims to depict real life B. rewriting, and rehearsing, he aims to depict real life C. which by rewriting and rehearsing he aimed to depict real life D. rehearsals, and rewrites, his aim is to depict life realistically E. rehearsals, and rewrites, he aimed to depict life realistically Difficulty - Hard

Took massive 4 minutes to understand and Answer :cry:

winterschool wrote:
Q2. Pharmaceuticals, despite facing an ongoing innovation challenge, ranks as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only by internet and network services. A] ranks as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only B] rank as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed C] has the rank of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed D] are one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only E] have been ranked as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed

conflict between B and D

winterschool wrote:
Q2. Pharmaceuticals, despite facing an ongoing innovation challenge, ranks as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only by internet and network services. A] ranks as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only B] rank as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed C] has the rank of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed D] are one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, surpassed only E] have been ranked as one of the most profitable industries in a recent study, only surpassed

B is having a comparision issue because of placement of ONLY PHARMA ( INDUSTRY)= INTERNET(PRODUCT), SO D .please correct with my reasoning
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
   1  ...  61   62   63   64   65  ...  154   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14030 posts