Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:40 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644161 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
I am studying verbal deductive reasoning section. About the captured sentences, i wonder why the Examples (ii) is not clearlys saying whether or not it might both?

i think (ii) says clearly, it will rain tomorrown if it is not snow.

can anybody correct me?

is it the context that, we know it will rain if it is not snow, but we don’t know it will still rain if it is snow ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
It will rain tomorrow unless it snows : What do you mean by this? It means if it snows tomorrow then we are not expecting the rain. But if it doesn’t snow tomorrow then we can surely say rain will come. Both cannot happen here

Note: "Wether or not" is considered redundant in GMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Hi guys, I’ve a question, my GMAT test is schedule in 1 month and I want to know if for the verbal part we can use the fonction " Ctrl + F" do find some words quickly or if is considered cheating. I searched some informations about that but I find nothing and I don’t want to fail my test for a dumb lack...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
The command won’t work during the exam. You won’t get an option to look for words
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Thank you! I’m really jealous of the LSAT on this point haha
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Iwen wrote:
Thank you! I’m really jealous of the LSAT on this point haha

Oh. LSAT lets you do that? 😳
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,
Can anyone share the LSAT verbal material. Thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
ravivarmadadi64 wrote:
Hi, Can anyone share the LSAT verbal material. Thanks

Here you go: The PowerScore LSAT Bible Trilogy 2024: Prep Strategies for Each Section of the LSAT - Logic Games, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning (LSAT Prep) https://a.co/d/hUcSqr6
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Sathvik02 wrote:
It will rain tomorrow unless it snows : What do you mean by this? It means if it snows tomorrow then we are not expecting the rain. But if it doesn’t snow tomorrow then we can surely say rain will come. Both cannot happen here

Yes i got it. But i think the sentence "It will rain tmrw unless it snows" is already clear enough. Like you said, it can’t happen both without ’not both’ too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi, could someone help me to provide the detailed explaination for this CR question please

In Nurica, investors who believe they are the victims of malpractice by their financial advisors can file a claim with a government agency. The agency arbitrates the dispute unless a settlement is reached before the hearing date. Of those claims that reached the arbitration stage, a smaller proportion resulted in restitution for the investor in 1995 than in 1994. Nonetheless, a larger proportion of all the claims filed resulted in restitution in 1995 than in 1994.

Which of the following is most strongly supported by the information given?

A. The proportion of claims filed that were unfounded was higher in 1995 than in 1994.
B. The average amount awarded to investors whose claims were arbitrated by the agency was lower in 1995 than in 1994.
C. The average amount of restitution of settlement was higher in 1995 than in 1994
D. There were fewer arbitrators available to hear claims in 1995 than in 1994.
E. A larger proportion of claims settled prior to arbitration resulted in restitution in 1995 than in 1994.

The answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
hathanhnguyen.811 wrote:
Hi, could someone help me to provide the detailed explaination for this CR question please In Nurica, investors who believe they are the victims of malpractice by their financial advisors can file a claim with a government agency. The agency arbitrates the dispute unless a settlement is reached before the hearing date. Of those claims that reached the arbitration stage, a smaller proportion resulted in restitution for the investor in 1995 than in 1994. Nonetheless, a larger proportion of all the claims filed resulted in restitution in 1995 than in 1994. Which of the following is most strongly supported by the information given? A. The proportion of claims filed that were unfounded was higher in 1995 than in 1994. B. The average amount awarded to investors whose claims were arbitrated by the agency was lower in 1995 than in 1994. C. The average amount of restitution of settlement was higher in 1995 than in 1994 D. There were fewer arbitrators available to hear claims in 1995 than in 1994. E. A larger proportion of claims settled prior to arbitration resulted in restitution in 1995 than in 1994. The answer is E.

This is a good " inference" question. I weigh this as 700 level. But if you catch the discrepancy it’s very easy. Let’s say there are 1000 cases in total and 100 cases have resulted in arbitration ( I hope you are well aware that arbitration only happens when the settlement doesn’t happen between investor and advisor ). Ok , now in these 100 cases, a smaller proportion resulted in restitution for investors in 1995 than in 1994. So we can take Resitution to be 20 in 1995 and 30 in 1994 out of 100. But when we consider overall cases (i.e 1000 ) we find that a larger proportion of all claims resulted in restitution in 1995 than in 1994. So we can take the total restitution to be 250 in 2015 and 200 in 2014. Are you able to catch the discrepancy now? The only way more no of restitution for investors can happen in 2015 is when the settlement happened btw the investor and advisor before the case went to arbitration. In these settlements, more no of investors were restituted in 2015 than in 2014 . As simple as that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Guys, is this sentence parallel?
"The experience taught him the importance of thorough market research, and that enthusiasm, while crucial, must be complemented by pragmatism."
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
winterschool wrote:
Q1. The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The municipality introduced DDA poison, improving the situation, but resulting in the death of many Klacktop birds. To prevent the death of the Klacktops, DDB poison was introduced which resulted in the death of many Gellowtop frogs. Some of the public believe that since the rat infestation poses a significant threat to the Larynxtown citizens’ health, any measures, irrelevant of the harm caused to wildlife, must be taken to cease it. The industrial zone neighbors the habitats of certain wildlife species that are protected by law so the introduction of poisons is probably not the solution to this particular infestation. In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles? (A) The first provides support for the argument’s main position; the second objects to this position. (B) The first states a position that challenges that supported by the argument’s conclusion; the second is evidence used to further support that conclusion. (C) The first challenges the main position of the argument; the second gives support to that challenge. (D) The first describes evidence that supports the argument’s conclusion; the second is that conclusion. (E) The first is a position that opposes that established by the argument; the second is a conclusion to the argument.

winterschool wrote:
Q2. A recent census of all American females revealed that the current average age that females in America marry is 27. The average age that females have their first child is also 27. According to a census taken 20 years ago, the average ages that females married and had their first child were 23 and 25 years, respectively. If the information recorded in the two censuses is true, which of the following must also be true about American females? (A) Currently, more females are having their first child before they marry than they did 20 years ago. (B) On average, females are currently waiting longer to have their first child than they did 20 years ago. (C) Females today are more likely to complete their education before getting married and having children than they were 20 years ago. (D) On average, females had larger families 20 years ago than they have today. (E) Twenty years ago, most females waited at least two years after they were married to have their first child. Difficulty - Hard

CR Questions January - 19 :

Q1. It is the mark of a superior conductor that he or she has the authority to insist, even with a top orchestra, that rehearsal work must be intensified. This authority cannot simply be claimed, the conductor must earn it by winning the orchestra’s respect for the artistic interpretations he or she is currently pursuing.

In taking the position outlined, the author presupposes which one of the following?

(A) Superior conductors devise different interpretations of composition for each orchestra with which they perform it.

(B) Superior conductors are perfectionists who are never satisfied with any performance even by a top orchestra.

(C) Top orchestras are always ready to put in additional work on rehearsals if the conductor considers additional rehearsing necessary.

(D) Top orchestras can appreciate the merits of an interpretation even before they have brought it to full realization.

(E) Even top orchestras are not always led by superior conductors.

Difficulty - Hard

Q2. Magazine publishers claim that illegal photocopying of articles from their magazines costs them vast amounts of revenue every year. But most people who photocopy magazine articles are teachers using them in class. Given the economics of education, these teachers could not procure an original copy of the magazine for each student.

Which of the following is most propably the point towards which the author of the above passage is moving?

(A) Magazine publishers should provide free copies of their magazines to schools.

(B) Preventing illegal photocopying would have no effect on magazine sales.

(C) Teachers should be prevented from photocopying magazine articles for their students.

(D) Eliminating illegal photocopying would prevent the magazine’s publishers’ loss of revenue.

(E) Illegal photocopying does not depress magazine sales as significantly as publishers believe.

Difficulty - Hard

doomsdayverbal wrote:
Guys, is this sentence parallel? "The experience taught him the importance of thorough market research, and that enthusiasm, while crucial, must be complemented by pragmatism."

simply, no. "that" is not in parallel structure
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 683
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644161 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Expert Reply
Critical Reasoning Butler: January 2024
January 19CR 1CR 2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Although the ratio of physicians to total population is about the same in the United States and Canada, the United States has 33 percent more surgeons per capita. Clearly, this is the reason people in the United States undergo 40 percent more operations per capita than do Canadians.

The explanation given above rests on an assumption that:

(A) patients in the United States do not have a greater need for surgery than do patients in Canada.
(B) the population of the United States is not larger than that of Canada.
(C) United States patients sometimes travel to Canada for certain kinds of surgery.
(D) General practitioners in the United States do not as a rule examine a who is a candidate for surgery before sending the patient to a surgeon.
(E) There are no unnecessary surgical operations performed in Canada.

the answer is A.. can anyone explain why A?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
The author came to that conclusion assuming that the patients in both countries have the same need for surgeries.

For example: If the author said, people in America eat unhealthy and therefore, need to get surgeries more often. Then he won’t be able to come to that conclusion.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  115   116   117   118   119  ...  184   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13951 posts