Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [60]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [15]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [6]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Re: Julian bought 6 kilograms of cheese from each of Deli A and Deli B. At [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is an interesting question. It's a min/max question disguised as a ratio question (you still need both though!) At first I did the brute force method by figuring out the ratios bought of each etc ... but took too long. So I redid the question using 2 methods: 1) Educated Guessing (about 1 min) and 2) Easier Brute Force (about 2:15). So let's get started.

1) Educated Guessing
The idea here is to look at the product that is most bought and compare to the range of the other Deli
S1) Provolone was the largest quantity purchased at B: 7 * $18 = $126
The range at A will be [7 * $15 = $105, 7 * $19 = $133]
Since $126 falls between this, it might be possible for A to be greater than B

S2) American was the largest quantity purchased at A: 6 * $15 = $90
The range at B will be [6 * $16 = $96, 6 * $20 = $120]
Since $90 is less than $96, B will always be greater than A

2) Easier Brute Force
The idea here is to ignore the 6 kg and use the ratios given. The reason for this is because the 6 will complicate the calculations.
S1) The total bought is 2+7+2 = 11. So instead of buying 6kg, let's say he bought 11kg.
2*$16 + 7*$18 + 2*$20 = $32 + $126 + $40 = $198
Now the range can be calculated by using 11kg at Deli A: [11 * $15 = $165, 11 * $19 = $209]
Since $198 falls between this, we cannot conclude where more was spent.

S2) The total bought is 6+2+1 = 9. So instead of buying 6kg, let's say he bought 9kg.
6*$15 + 2*$17 + 1*$19 = $90+ $34 + $19 = $143
Now the range can be calculated by using 11kg at Deli A: [9 * $16 = $144, 9 * $20 = $180]
Since $143 is less than the minimum ($144), that means less was spent at A than B.

Answer B

Let me know if there is something wrong with my logic.

Thanks,
sunz3000
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Re: Julian bought 6 kilograms of cheese from each of Deli A and Deli B. At [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I would go with C as
Stmt 1: we can find out how much he spent at Deli B but we have no idea about the spending distribution at Deli A....so insufficient

Stmt 2: we can find out how much he spent at Deli A but we have no idea about the spending distribution at Deli B....so insufficient

Stmt 1 + Stmt 2 : sufficient
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Statement 1 : 6kg paneer from deliB in 2:7;2 ration will cost = (2x16 +7x18 +20x2)6/11= 108
From Deli A minimum cost for 6kg shall be 15x6=90 and maximum shall be 19X6=114 for any ratio from deli A cost vary from 90 to 108 hence without knowing ration for Deli A can not determine spend , hence unsufficient
Statement 2: 6kg paneer from deliB in 6:2;1 ration will cost = (6x15 +17x2 +19x1)6/9= 95.3 around
From Deli B minimum cost for 6kg shall be 16x6=96 and maximum shall be 20X6=120 for any ratio from deli A cost vary from 96 to 120 ,minimum cost from deli B is more than the 95.3 hence money spend from deliB shall be more ,hence sufficient
correct Ans is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
salr15 wrote:
Please solve and explain.

I agree. I don't think you have to even bother solving. the question stem tells us he bought 6 kg of 3 different cheeses at different prices in each store. we just need to know the amount of each type of cheese from each store. I & II together gives us that info.

if you wanted to work it out you would start by:

I: 6 kg divided amoung 11 parts

american is 2/11*6kg = 1 1/11kg of american * $16

etc.. etc..

but going through all of that would waste you at least a minute and a half if not more..you have the information to answer that he either spent more money at A, more money at B, or the same amount at both deli's... the answer itself is irrelevant.

hope that helps
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [1]
Send PM