GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kaplan tests tougher?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
Kaplan tests tougher?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 03:34
Are Kaplan tests difficult than the actual exam? I scored a 690 and then a 630 in the Kaplan practice tests.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Kaplan tests tougher?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 05:57
ShivangiM wrote:
Are Kaplan tests difficult than the actual exam? I scored a 690 and then a 630 in the Kaplan practice tests.

Hi ShivangiM,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! There are different school of thoughts on Kaplan tests. While some agree that it is slightly tougher though a bit generous with their scoring algorithm, others say they are a good representative of your real GMAT performances. Either way, I will recommend that you stick to official GMATPREP Exams 1-6 to gauge your performance.

You can refer to the following verified reviews of the tests. https://gmatclub.com/reviews/tests-kapl ... -345345673

Hope this helps. All the best!
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 15:53
Hi ShivangiM,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you use the CAT correctly).

There are a variety of factors that can impact your performance on a CAT. Thus, "review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 20:31
ShivangiM wrote:
Have you taken a GMATPrep yet? The official tests are more representative of the actual exam than any non-official tests can be.
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 23:01
What was your accuracy on the Kaplan tests?
I couldn't agree more with AjiteshArun - official tests are the only go-to option when you are doubtful about your performance on mocks. Take one of the two free ones available on MBA.com to gauge your current level.

Best,
Gladi

Posted from my mobile device

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 21:10
ShivangiM wrote:

I'm in the midst of prep, and feel like the Kaplan tests are harder. I have scored higher on the official GMAT practice tests on MBA.com, and have felt like they were easier. That said, I like the explanations with the Kaplan tests and feel like they are worth it just for that.
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 12:34
ShivangiM wrote:

Hi ShivangiM you may find this discussion helpful regarding Kaplan and Veritas Comparison

https://gmatclub.com/forum/kaplan-283548.html

Good Luck
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 15:43
I took a prep class with Kaplan and actually did better on my Kaplan tests than I did on the actual GMAT. Scored usually between 650-700 on Kaplan but only got as high as 640 on the actual GMAT. Just my personal experience. I agree with the above statements though definitely think the official GMAT CATs are the best indicator of your score. I averaged around a 640 on my Official GMAT practice tests and thats what I got on the real thing.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kaplan tests tougher?   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2018, 15:43

Kaplan tests tougher?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep