Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Method of Reasoningx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [128]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [18]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [13]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Keith: Compliance with new government regulations requiring the instal [#permalink]
Kudos
ykaiim wrote:
Tricky!

Keith: Compliance with new government regulations requiring the installation of smoke alarms and sprinkler systems in all theaters and arenas will cost the entertainment industry $25 billion annually. Consequently, jobs will be lost and profits diminished. Therefore, these regulations will harm the country’s economy.

Laura: The $25 billion spent by some businesses will be revenue for others. Jobs and profits will be gained as well as lost.

Laura responds to Keith by
(A) demonstrating that Keith’s conclusion is based on evidence that is not relevant to the issue at hand
(B) challenging the plausibility of the evidence that serves as the basis for Keith’s argument
(C) suggesting that Keith’s argument overlooks a mitigating consequence
(D) reinforcing Keith’s conclusion by supplying a complementary interpretation of the evidence Keith cites
(E) agreeing with the main conclusion of Keith’s argument but construing that conclusion as grounds for optimism rather than for pessimism

It has to be C.
C & E are the two short listed choices, but E does not talk about the conclusion of Keith's argument "hese regulations will harm the country’s economy". Hence C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Send PM
Re: Keith: Compliance with new government regulations requiring the instal [#permalink]
Kudos
Agree it's C.
E might come close but it's not even right because Laura never even agreed with Keith in what she said..she simply suggested the point that he overlooked. Which is C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3225 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
it is C.

Laura suggests that Keith’s argument (jobs will be lost and profits diminished) overlooks a mitigating consequence ($25 billion spent by some businesses will be revenue for others. Jobs and profits will be gained as well as lost)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
it must be C , as laura say mean to say that whatever the loss would occcur to the entertainment industry in the form of expendicture , would serve as a profit for the other industries as they would get the job for fiing sprinkelrs etc.
clearly its C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [7]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Keith: Compliance with new government regulations requiring the instal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Keith: Compliance with new government regulations requiring the instal [#permalink]
Can someone explain why it's not B? Doesn't Laura challenge his evidence by saying that Keith is not looking at the big picture?

EDIT: Maybe the definition of "mitigating" threw me off as well. I read C as - Laura is suggesting that Keith's argument is overlooking a very serious consequence? Why it's not B still baffles me.

Thanks in advance.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [6]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Can someone explain why it's not B? Doesn't Laura challenge his evidence by saying that Keith is not looking at the big picture?

EDIT: Maybe the definition of "mitigating" threw me off as well. I read C as - Laura is suggesting that Keith's argument is overlooking a very serious consequence? Why it's not B still baffles me.

Thanks in advance.

It's not B because she doesn't say that Keith's evidence is invalid. She accepts that jobs could be lost. She is saying that Keith's evidence is correct but incomplete because he doesn't take into account the additional jobs created.

I realized that I didn't respond to your comment about mitigating. Don't be afraid of words you don't fully understand in the moment. You need to eliminate the wrong answers until you get to the correct one. And be careful to not quickly eliminate on what you think it might mean.

KW
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Keith: Compliance with new government regulations requiring the installation of smoke alarms and sprinkler systems in all theaters and arenas will cost the entertainment industry $25 billion annually. Consequently, jobs will be lost and profits diminished. Therefore, these regulations will harm the country’s economy.

Laura: The $25 billion spent by some businesses will be revenue for others. Jobs and profits will be gained as well as lost.

(A) demonstrating that Keith’s conclusion is based on evidence that is not relevant to the issue at hand -She is not talking about the evidences used by Keith to reach at the conclusion.
(B) challenging the plausibility of the evidence that serves as the basis for Keith’s argument -She is not challenging the evidence used by Keith to reach the the conclusion. She is just pointing out that the conclusion is too far-fetched.
(C) suggesting that Keith’s argument overlooks a mitigating consequence -Correct.
(D) reinforcing Keith’s conclusion by supplying a complementary interpretation of the evidence Keith cites -No. She opposes the conclusion.
(E) agreeing with the main conclusion of Keith’s argument but construing that conclusion as grounds for optimism rather than for pessimism -She opposes the conclusion
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I wanted to chime in on this question. You can get the answer by POE, as shown above, but the answer's wording isn't 100% correct. If the answer said 'mitigating factor', this would be far better.

Per Dicitionary.com, the definition of a mitigating factor is "to make less severe". This definition works for our conclusion. A mitigating consequence is an awkward phrase that I, as a native English speaker, have never heard of. Further, the internet, Dictionary.com included, CANNOT find a definition for a 'mitigating consequence'. Given this, I believe the wording should be changed.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
nightblade354 GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Quote:

With both consequently and therefore signaling a conclusion I chose the later as main conclusion of Keith's quote. Am I correct?

Quote:

Can you please explain How Laura's quote goes against the main conclusion of Keith?

Quote:
(E) agreeing with the main conclusion of Keith’s argument but construing that conclusion as grounds for optimism rather than for pessimism

I found underlined words to be linked and hence chose (E). Is not it saying that 25 bn spent by entertainment industry will serve as revenue
for another industry, say hospitality / banking? Where did I go wrong here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

Our two speakers here are mainly arguing about the effect of regulation (“installation on smoke alarms and sprinkle systems in theatres…”) on economy.

Keith argues that that $25 billion annual cost will lead to job loss and profit decline. His conclusion is that regulations will hurt the country’s economy.

Laura presents a counterpoint. She agrees that there is the same cost involved but presents the view that “jobs and profits will be gained as well as lost.” It is evident that Laura believes in the rationale behind Keith’s argument but disagrees with his one-sided view & interprets the information in a different light. This anticipates our answer to be (C).

(A) demonstrating that Keith’s conclusion is based on evidence that is not relevant to the issue at hand
Laura never expresses that Keith’s conclusion is not relevant.

(B) challenging the plausibility of the evidence that serves as the basis for Keith’s argument
Like (A), Laura does not “challenge the plausibility” of Keith’s evidence. Rather, she simply interprets it in a different light.

(C) suggesting that Keith’s argument overlooks a mitigating consequence
This accurately portrays Laura’s reasoning. The idea of the mitigating consequence is present by the idea that “jobs and profits will be gained as well as lost.”

(D) reinforcing Keith’s conclusion by supplying a complementary interpretation of the evidence Keith cites
She does not reinforce (or support) his conclusion.

She does not agree with the main conclusion.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN VeritasKarishma AnthonyRitz

I would like to take your opinion on option B vs C
If we see B , in one way , Laura challenges the plausibility of the evidence that serves as the basis for Keith’s argument. is not it?

K makes conclusion based on some evidence but that evidence is half side of story then actually can't we say that K conclusion is not based on complete ( e.g. not valid/not plausible) evidence.
For conclusion, the evidence should be complete otherwise it should not be considered as valid.

Or

I take a learning:
If half information and conclusion is driven based on that half evidence then conclusion is still considered valid.

Please suggest.

Thanks AndrewN VeritasKarishma AnthonyRitz
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [3]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos