Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [155]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [48]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Re: Kendrick: Governments that try to prevent cigarettes from [#permalink]
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
Kendrick: Governments that try to prevent cigarettes from being advertised are justified in doing so, since such advertisements encourage people to engage in an unhealthy practice. But cigarette advertisements should remain legal since advertisements for fatty foods are legal, even though those advertisements also encourage people to engage in unhealthy practices.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to resolve the apparent conflict between Kendrick's statements?

(A) Any advertisement that encourages people to engage in an unhealthy practice should be made illegal, even though the legality of some such advertisements is currently uncontroversial

(B) The advertisement of fattening foods, unlike that of cigarettes, should not be prevented, because fattening foods, unlike cigarettes, are not addictive.

(C) Most advertisements should be legal, although advertisers are always morally responsible for ensuring that their advertisements do not encourage people to engage in unhealthy practices.

(D) Governments should try to prevent the advertisement of cigarettes by means of financial disincentives rather than by legal prohibition.

(E) Governments should place restrictions on cigarette advertisements so as to keep them from encouraging people to engage in unhealthy practices, but should not try to prevent such advertisements.

OA and OE will follow

I'll take a crack at it ...

My summary of the conflict: Governments are justified when they attempt to prevent the advertisement of cigs because smoking cigs is an unhealthy habit. However, cig ads should be legal because advertisements for fatty foods are legal although eating fatty foods is an unhealthy practice.

So what helps to resolve the conflict? I determined that it would be something that would justify the government's actions to prevent the unhealthy habit of cigarette smoking or in other words distinguish cigs from fatty foods.

A) This doesn't add anything to the resolution of the conflict.

B) I like this answer. The government is justified because smoking cigs is an unhealthy practice and is addictive which perpetuates the unhealthy practice. Eating fatty foods, while an unhealthy practice, isn't an addictive practice. This differentiation justifies the government preventative measures and resolves the conflict.

C) Totally irrelevant since it does not resolve the conflict.

D) Again irrelevant since it does not resolve the conflict.

E) This answer is interesting because the government can place restrictions on cig ads but allow those ads to remain legal. My question would be then what about restrictions on ads for fatty foods? The conflict hasn't been resolved in my opinion.

I believe B is the answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Kudos
Okay reading this again I think I will change my answer to D.

Here's the reason: financial disincentives allow cig ads to remain legal but allows governments to try to prevent cig advertising by making it financially difficult. This resolves the conflict.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [3]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
OA is D.

The key is to realize of the wording in the passage.

Fact1: Governments that try to prevent cigarettes from being advertised are justified in doing so
Fact2: cigarette advertisements should remain legal

Option D explains this apparently contradiction.

Lincfucious wrote:
D - This is the other answer that is plausible. Although there is no mention of financial disincentives in the passage

This is perfectly valid in paradox questions. Anyway, you solved the question nicely. Congratulations + 1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
I was inclined to choose either D or E. I dont see much difference between "restrictions" and "financial disincentives", cuz one can consider disincentives some kind of "restriction". Also prohibiting and restricting are not the same, as some argued here. So I think this question was controversial. Both D and E could've been considered correct at some extent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
i chose D should say im bit lucky with this
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
First thought E, later figured out that E is out of scope because it basically talks about restrictions whereas the question talks about prevention.

D is a better choice because it talks about prevention at the same time circumventing legality
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
I eliminated down to C and E and picked C actually while the answer is D.

I was a bit wary of financial incentives in D. It is a tough question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
right answer lies in the way one interpret the questions.

Whoever says Answer should be B, must be trying to resolve the conflict following statement :
Cigarette advertisements should remain legal since advertisements for fatty foods are legal, even though those advertisements also encourage people to engage in unhealthy practices.

However questions asks us to resolve conflict between following two statements
- Governments that try to prevent cigarettes from being advertised are justified in doing so
- cigarette advertisements should remain legal

So essentially kendrick is trying to say that Government should to prevent the Cigarettes Ads by some other measures instead of banning them or making them illegal. Option D states this exactly.

For those who think option E is right answer may be mistaking that it contradicts the main statement by saying "Governments should not try to prevent such advertisements"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
The correct answer is D.

It adequately resolves the paradox by accounting for the co-existence restrictions and legality of cigarette ads.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
it is D because the question focus on its meaning on the Legal issue so that D states something about legalilty. It is a little tricky as it that word showed up at the end of the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Previously, I also chose B, then realized my mistake.
I focused on the example of the fact rather than on the fact.
Key here is the facts:
1. Governments that try to prevent cigarettes from being advertised are justified in doing so.
2. But cigarette advertisements should remain legal (Fatty food is the example of this fact)

Governments should try to prevent the advertisement(Justify fact 1) of cigarettes by means of financial disincentives rather than by legal prohibition(Justify fact 2).

So, the only choice that addressed both the facts is choice "D"

Learning: To resolve a paradox, focus on facts not on the examples of facts. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bumping up for review. Tricky question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 478
Schools: IMD '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 2.84
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
GMATNinja nightblade354 How is the answer D ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
can someone help me out why the answer is D and not E.....???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM