GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Last GMAT mock test 690, not sure how to proceed now

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Commercial Banking)
Last GMAT mock test 690, not sure how to proceed now  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Aug 2019, 01:24
Hello fellow GMAT takers, everyone,

I am in a dilemma right now.

I have been self-studying GMAT since March this year, and the results of my mock exams are as follows:
Jun 22 2019 - GMATPrep - 700 (Q47, V39, IR 3) - had a few recurring questions in this test.
Jul 13 2019 - Manhattan GMAT - 670 (Q46, V35, IR 5.9) - found it super hard (both Q&V) that I expected to score even lower than this
Jul 20 2019 - GMATPrep - 690 (Q48, V38, IR 7) - verbal was very hard; no recurring questions, but idk why am I getting 690 instead of 700? compared to my first mock, my V decreased by 1 points, but my Q increased by 1 point
Aug 4 2019 - GMATPrep - 690 (Q51, V31, IR 8)

My target score is 710. But though I've been learning from every single mistake from previous mocks and studying on the topics I'm weakest at, now I think maybe I'm just stuck in 670-700 score ranges :cry:

I originally planned to take real GMAT test next week if only my last mock test resulted in at least 700, but now I'm really not sure on what to do next.

My consideration is: I have studied for too long (almost 4 months now), but I feel uneasy to take the real test, because I think I really need to reach at least 700. FYI I want to apply to Cornell, Darden, Cambridge, Tuck (reach), and NUS (safety) next year and I will be looking for scholarship opportunities too.

Since I haven't worked on other aspects of my application at all, I am a bit torn between spending another 2 weeks to learn GMAT, or just take whatever real score I can reach and start working on my apps. Not sure how much improvement can be made in 2 weeks though... :(

Based on your previous experience, can you offer me any advice?

Thanks, everyone.

Originally posted by aidyn on 20 Jul 2019, 02:26.
Last edited by aidyn on 04 Aug 2019, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Last GMAT mock test 690, not sure how to proceed now  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 17:59
aidyn - A score of 690 shows that your basics are pretty solid and therefore you would need to only fine-tune certain areas to increase your score to the mid-700 level or above. At this time, you have to focus on your weaknesses and eliminate them one by one. For instance, apart from subject knowledge, you need to improve your pacing and not get a string of 2-3-4 questions incorrect on the test. Therefore, the gap between your current score and your target score is extremely slim. With little bit of practice, you could improve your Quant score to 49-50; you do not necessarily need to learn new concepts but only practice diligently and work on your pacing. Not getting a single 500-level question is key to getting a solid raw scores on the individual sections.

New to GMAT Club or overwhelmed with so many resources? Follow the GMAT Club Study Plan!
Not happy with your GMAT score? Retaking GMAT Strategies!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 19:04
Hi aidyn,

Assuming that you took these last 2 CATs in a realistic fashion, then the results show that you almost certainly have the knowledge needed to hit your Score Goal - and the reason why you have not consistently hit 700+ yet is because of how you 'see' (and respond to) the questions in the Quant and Verbal sections.

Have you had a chance to review this last CAT in detail yet? Your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining what you need to work on going forward - and there's a big difference between getting questions wrong because you made little mistakes and getting questions wrong because you thought that they were too difficult. On this CAT, how many questions did you get wrong that you COULD have gotten correct (if you had just done some of the work a bit differently?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 19:49
Thank you for your replies, DisciplinedPrep and EMPOWERgmatRichC. I feel more motivated after reading your posts. I think maybe I will postpone my exam in a week or two to specifically work on my weaknesses.

I'm still reviewing the last CAT, taking notes on every mistake I made.

But to answer your question, yes I took the last 2 CATs in realistic fashion, and now I think I really have issues with timing.

In my 3rd mock - Quant Section, I got 10 out of 12 last questions wrong because I felt like running out of time and subsequently could not think straight anymore :(
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jul 2019, 18:36
Hi aidyn,

Since you are pretty close to your score goal, I agree that it would make sense to push back your GMAT and continue to work on finding and strengthening your weaknesses. When are your application deadlines?

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Originally posted by ScottTargetTestPrep on 22 Jul 2019, 18:54.
Last edited by ScottTargetTestPrep on 23 Jul 2019, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 01:37
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi aidyn,

Since you are pretty close to your score goal, I agree that it would make sense to push back your GMAT and continue to work on finding and strengthening your weaknesses. When are your application deadlines?

You also may find it helpful to read this article about [url=http://blog.targettestprep.com/how-to-score-a-700-on-the-gmat/]how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Thanks ScottTargetTestPrep. I've checked it out and I absolutely agree that "While taking the GMAT, you should never try to determine how well you’re doing.". That happened in my last mock-quant session. Once I reached Q20, I felt I already made plenty of mistakes and got demotivated, ending with 10 out of 12 last questions wrong. :(

Actually my MBA application is still next year, but I want to get over with GMAT soon so I can focus on other parts of my MBA and scholarship application (e.g. IELTS, essay, CV, extracurriculars etc). To study GMAT, I have also been less social for quite some time so.... :lol:
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 18:17
I’m happy to help. Keep me updated.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 01:21
Last update before my real GMAT exam in Tuesday:

Just took another GMATPrep CAT and still score 690 (V31, Q51, IR 8) :cry: :cry: . Am not sure why the Verbal score was very low. Such a huge drop from any of my previous CATs.

I'm sure the number of wrong answers I got in Verbal section is the same as in my previous mocks. I also didn't make any 3 wrong answers in a row.
What I noted is I made more mistakes in RC this time.

Just curious, but does that mean GMAT generally assigns more weight in RC questions?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 13:41
Hi aidyn,

First off, since your GMAT is on Tuesday, you have to be careful about doing too much studying in these last couple of days. "Cramming" rarely leads to great results on Exams such as the GMAT - and we do not want you to 'burn out' before Test Day. Thus, you would be better served by doing some light practice/review (NO more CATs) and making sure that you get some extra rest - so that you can go into Test Day calm, clear-headed and ready to work.

Between your recent post and your 'updated' initial post, you're asking about a number of different subjects. At this point, you shouldn't be putting too much time/energy into any of them, but here are some ideas to consider:

1) There's no 'perfect timeline' for how long you should be studying for the GMAT. Some people need more time to hit their Goal Scores - and 4 months (or more) of study is NOT a "bad thing." You're interested in a Score that approximately 90% of Test Takers never achieve (regardless of how long they study), so the process to earn that Goal might require more time than you want it to.

2) You're not planning to apply until next year, but you seem to think that you only have 2 options at this point: keep the Score that you earn on Tuesday (and stop) or retake in 2 weeks (and then stop?). I understand that you want to be 'done' with studying, but you're remarkably close to your Goal Score right now, so limiting yourself to just 2 additional weeks (if needed) seems like an odd choice.

3) Of the 36 Verbal questions you'll face on Test Day, RC will probably represent about 13-14 of them (meaning MORE than 1/3 of the Verbal section), so YES - RC does matter a lot to your Verbal Scaled Score. Have you had a chance to review those RC questions that you got wrong on this CAT? How many of them were questions that you 'narrowed down to 2 choices - but then picked the wrong one'? In those situations, you were really close to getting the correct answer, but you didn't. So what little things did you do wrong? Defining those details can help you to avoid making similar mistakes in the future.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 19:45
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi aidyn,

First off, since your GMAT is on Tuesday, you have to be careful about doing too much studying in these last couple of days. "Cramming" rarely leads to great results on Exams such as the GMAT - and we do not want you to 'burn out' before Test Day. Thus, you would be better served by doing some light practice/review (NO more CATs) and making sure that you get some extra rest - so that you can go into Test Day calm, clear-headed and ready to work.

Between your recent post and your 'updated' initial post, you're asking about a number of different subjects. At this point, you shouldn't be putting too much time/energy into any of them, but here are some ideas to consider:

1) There's no 'perfect timeline' for how long you should be studying for the GMAT. Some people need more time to hit their Goal Scores - and 4 months (or more) of study is NOT a "bad thing." You're interested in a Score that approximately 90% of Test Takers never achieve (regardless of how long they study), so the process to earn that Goal might require more time than you want it to.

2) You're not planning to apply until next year, but you seem to think that you only have 2 options at this point: keep the Score that you earn on Tuesday (and stop) or retake in 2 weeks (and then stop?). I understand that you want to be 'done' with studying, but you're remarkably close to your Goal Score right now, so limiting yourself to just 2 additional weeks (if needed) seems like an odd choice.

3) Of the 36 Verbal questions you'll face on Test Day, RC will probably represent about 13-14 of them (meaning MORE than 1/3 of the Verbal section), so YES - RC does matter a lot to your Verbal Scaled Score. Have you had a chance to review those RC questions that you got wrong on this CAT? How many of them were questions that you 'narrowed down to 2 choices - but then picked the wrong one'? In those situations, you were really close to getting the correct answer, but you didn't. So what little things did you do wrong? Defining those details can help you to avoid making similar mistakes in the future.

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

1) I understand there is no perfect timeline. I guess I just felt >5 months is too long considering many people in the forum got over with GMAT within 4 months of studying. But I do agree with you. If my actual score tomorrow is indeed lower than my target, I will def consider retaking the GMAT and possibly start exploring other GMAT prep sources.

2) The reason why I want to get over with GMAT quickly is because I want to start building other aspects of my application (e.g. IELTS, essay, extracurriculars). Preparing for GMAT so far has taken up most of my free time - after work and weekends.
My office works have become increasingly demanding as well, with new projects and more responsibilities assigned to me. So I'm just worried that in the next weeks I won't have the same amount of free time as I used to have.

3) In my last CAT, I made 11 wrong answers in Verbal Section
5 RC -> Didn't totally understand certain parts and/or words of the passage, ending up with the wrong answer.
3 SC, RC & CR -> Misread certain words or didn't read the words carefully.
1 CR -> too hard.
2 SC -> new concepts.
What I don't understand is, I also made 11 wrong answers in my other GMATPrep CAT that ended up with V38.
I understand there is different weight on each question, but how come same number of mistakes led to drastically different scores V31 & V38.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 22:09
aidyn wrote:
Just curious, but does that mean GMAT generally assigns more weight in RC questions?
No, RC is not more important than the other question types.

All the best for Tuesday! :)
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 01:15
Hi!
I'm surprised that my mock results are indeed accurate. My real exam score is 690 (Q49, V34).
The exam was indeed harder than any of GMATPrep mock I took.!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 14:51
Hi aidyn,

First off, a 690/Q49 is a fantastic score, so it might very well enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. Since you've been discussing how you want to put more time into building up your profile, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans (to make sure that you are putting together the strongest OVERALL application that you can). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your various CAT score results - along with this Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (690 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

I want to reiterate that I do not think that you need to retest, but if you decide that that's something you want to do, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Last GMAT mock test 690, not sure how to proceed now   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 14:51

Last GMAT mock test 690, not sure how to proceed now

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep