Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4419 [6]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Limited access to expertise, along with the lack of easily available [#permalink]
Expert Reply
My issue is when ther is a lack of easy availability, then things should be pretty difficult to spread. How can we, so, combine two antithetical elements?.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Limited access to expertise, along with the lack of easily available [#permalink]
guerrero25 wrote:
Limited access to expertise, along with the lack of easily available pesticides, have led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals, with hitherto unknown consequences for the environment.

(A)along with the lack of easily available pesticides, have led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals
(B)along with the lack of easily available pesticides, has led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals
(C)along with the lack in easily available pesticides, which have led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals
(D)along with easily available pesticides, has led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals
(E)along with easily available pesticides, has led to the uncontrollably spreading chemicals

(A) - Limited access to expertise... has led to... Have led is incorrect.
(B) - Why would a lack of expertise + a lack of easily available pesticides (the chemicals) lead to an uncontrolled spread of chemicals. This doesn't make sense and there is no other explanation in this sentence as to why there would be that uncontrolled spread in chemicals, therefore this one is wrong too.
(C) - "...along with the lack in" should be "...along with the lack of" - wrong.
(D) - This is correct. This sentence states that the limited access to expertise along with easily available pesticides would result in consequences for the environment (availability of chemicals + limited access to experitise that would let us know those pesticides would lead to consequences for the environment="hitherto unknown consequences for the environment").
(E) - "uncontrollably spreading chemicals" is the only thing that sets this one apart from the correct (D). Uncontrollably spreading doesn't convey the same meaning as uncontrolled and doesn't support the first part of the sentence.

I'm going to go with D here.

-Ryan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
guerrero25 wrote:
Limited access to expertise, along with the lack of easily available pesticides, have led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals, with hitherto unknown consequences for the environment.

(A)along with the lack of easily available pesticides, have led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals
(B)along with the lack of easily available pesticides, has led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals
(C)along with the lack in easily available pesticides, which have led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals
(D)along with easily available pesticides, has led to the uncontrolled spread of chemicals
(E)along with easily available pesticides, has led to the uncontrollably spreading chemicals

I will go with D.
(A)has subject verb error.Singular subject limited access should follow singular verb has led not have led
(B)Meaning is nonsensical because limited access to expertise & lack of easily available pesticides can not lead to the uncontrolled spread of chemical that is not possible.
(C)has modifier problem.Modifier which modifies available pesticides instead of limited access and it also has idiom problem. the use of lack in is wrong.here lack of is the correct idiom
(D)Its the correct answer.here the singular subject limited access correctly followed singular verb has led,idiom lack of is correctly used & the sentence`s meaning makes sense
(E)The uncontrollably spreading chemicals does not make sense properly.

If find my post helpful plz press kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Does D not change the meaning of the original sentence?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kaiyuan28935749 There is no such thing as the "original meaning" of the sentence. Our job is to look at all five choices to determine the intended meaning, and then select the answer choice that best expresses that meaning. The meaning expressed in A is illogical, as daagh has pointed out, so we absolutely must select an answer with a different meaning! Remember that A has no monopoly on correctness. Like any other choice, it is wrong 4/5 of the time, and that's not just in terms of grammar. The meaning can be wrong, too!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts