Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Looking for nice explanation It has become apparent in [#permalink]
IMO B
as C,D also have Parallelism issue

in A
rights of an individual to privacy is wrong

C) individual's rights to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that, when exigent conditions are present, they make such rights particularly weaken particularly weaken is wrong
D) considerable but not absolute rights to privacy are given to an individual, and that exigent circumstances particularly weaken such rights Again plural mistake
E) the Court considers individual rights as considerable if not absolute, and that such rights are particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 V25
Send PM
pbanavara wrote:
I think the answer is B.

A) the rights of an individual to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that such rights are particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present
Rights of an individual - is wrong
B) an individual's right to privacy is considerable but not absolute, and that such a right is particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present.
This is the right choice : Since privacy is singular and an individual is singluar.. rights cannot be plural.

Ok. I was wandering between A and B. Anyway B is preferable to A becuase of expression.
But it is not necessary that "right" would be singular based on noun. Ex: The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man (source: https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/rightsof.asp)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
pbanavara wrote:
I think the answer is B.

A) the rights of an individual to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that such rights are particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present
B) an individual's right to privacy is considerable but not absolute, and that such a right is particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present.
This is the right choice : Since privacy is singular and an individual is singluar.. rights cannot be plural.

Ok. I was wandering between A and B. Anyway B is preferable to A becuase of expression.

It is not necessary that "right" would be singular based on noun. Ex: The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man (source: https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/rightsof.asp)

There's nothing wrong with A's expression. The error is in the subject verb agreement - singular to plural.

I hope you meant 'wondering' :).

In the sentence you have mentioned - man is taken as a plural noun. Hence, the rights. If you were to qualify man with an article 'a' then the right would have been apt.

The aim of all political association - is incorrect . The aim of all political associations is correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [0]
Send PM
Perfect reasoning. Thats exactly wht i wanted 2 say.
jainu wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
pbanavara wrote:
I think the answer is B.

But it is not necessary that "right" would be singular based on noun. Ex: The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man (source: https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/rightsof.asp)

Hi Priyankur,
It's my firm belief that the sentence here tests some unusual aspect and that is 'Singular Vs plural" usage of nouns.
We easily eliminated all options and were left with A and B.
The real difference between A and B is the fact that "right to privacy" cannot be plural because it is one 'particular right'. If we were talking of rights as a complete set or rather say as a group of some rights ( like right to freedom + right to speech+...) that an individual possesses, then , it was much logical to use "rights" rather than "right".
Now, when you read option A keeping in mind that "right to privacy" is a kind of one category/group of rights, you will realise why option B could be right...

Coming to your question....

"The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man"
Here aim is to preserve all those "rights" that are natural and imprescriptible, which itself means there is more than one right taken into consideration...and hence plural. So usage of rights is justified in the example given by you.

I hope it makes sense and is clear..
btw, this was something new for me...thanks a lot :) and +1....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
yeah..agree with B, mentioned reasons
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I would have initally picked A but after the going through the advised logic - B does seem to be more correct.

Good point on "Right to Privacy", "Right to man arms" and so forth....good one. It is a singular concept.

OA plzzz?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A - Subject verb error.
B - Correct Ans
C - Ponoun "they" do not have a referrent
D - Passive
E - Repetation of the noun Court
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4617 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
I chose B by POE..

here is my reasoning.

A is wrong --- 'that clause' should be singular so sub-verb agreement fails here.
C is wrong --- 'they' is not clear
D is wrong --- awkward
E is wrong --- using idiom incorrectly . (correct usage: consider XY, but here consider X as Y )

but I am wondering whether my reasoning for A is correct to consider this wrong? can some one explain me?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 V25
Send PM
jainu wrote:
btw, this was something new for me...thanks a lot :) and +1....

Got it.
same to you too.

Impeccably, OA is B.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts