Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Luxembourg MBA is providing a 2 Year Work Permit 4 students [#permalink]
wouldbecrazy wrote:
Thanks Akkumon,

I started the process by asking some very specific questions to your adcom on application process, supporting documentation and visa processing. Your admission process guide at https://www.shu.lu/Admission/Admission-Procedure/ is very poorly done up. No clear instruction or guide about reference or personal statements.

Lets see how your adcom respond to my queries and definitely their approach will set the tone. A helpful attitude will go a long way and a careless attitude will send a wrong signal.

Thanks Bro for your sharing. I will share any non sensitive discussions.

********************************************************************************************************************************

Sure dude!!! lets c...when I applied I had a good response. So need to know, how good and bad it is....others reading this forum will also understand! Let me know If I can be of some help...:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Akkumon wrote:
Sure dude!!! lets c...when I applied I had a good response. So need to know, how good and bad it is....others reading this forum will also understand! Let me know If I can be of some help...:)

I must say that their response is impressive. I received the complete response with in few hours and the most important part is, the answers were crisp, clear, direct and to the point. Absolutely no jargon, no beating around the bushes, no if-else-but. ... I liked that. Definitely it gave me a very comfort and positive feeling.

Thanks Bro for sharing this info. I think we are destined to have coffee together :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
Akkumon wrote:

I must say that their response is impressive. I received the complete response with in few hours and the most important part is, the answers were crisp, clear, direct and to the point. Absolutely no jargon, no beating around the bushes, no if-else-but. ... I liked that. Definitely it gave me a very comfort and positive feeling.

Thanks Bro for sharing this info. I think we are destined to have coffee together :-D

Thats very good because sometimes schools have problems replying to students especially when christmas dates are approaching. I think you are also lucky. In the meanwhile, I would also suggest you to read about different things in luxembourg, prospective companies you would like to work, and so other students also will get some idea.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi akkumon,

does Lux support any pr options after the 2-year work visa is up? If no, what options will you have once you have finished your 2 year work permit?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
echelon99 wrote:
Hi akkumon,

does Lux support any pr options after the 2-year work visa is up? If no, what options will you have once you have finished your 2 year work permit?

Thanks

Dude!!! By the time you finish your mba and the 2 year work permit in Luxembourg you will have almost 3 years of work experience in Luxembourg then processing your work visa for longer period is easier since you are a skilled person. Once you feel that you want to settle in Luxembourg, you need to be in Luxembourg for 5 years to apply and once you apply getting a PR is easier because Luxembourg is 40% of luxembourgish and 60% of foreigners, so the country wants to promote skilled people to live here.

Also two more advantages are - all the 3 countries - France, Germany and Belgium all are close by within 1 hr distance (but again depends on the city you wanna go). So most of the rich business men live here because it is easy to travel for business purposes. So in-case you start a business in this location, it would be perfect for you.

Another advantage - After your period in Luxembourg, in-case you decide to work in other schengen country like Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria.... your living period there also is considered for the Luxembourg PR but I am exactly not sure what is the ratio. But definitely, PR and work permit extension is not an issue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Akkumon wrote:

Dude!!! By the time you finish your mba and the 2 year work permit in Luxembourg you will have almost 3 years of work experience in Luxembourg then processing your work visa for longer period is easier since you are a skilled person. Once you feel that you want to settle in Luxembourg, you need to be in Luxembourg for 5 years to apply and once you apply getting a PR is easier because Luxembourg is 40% of luxembourgish and 60% of foreigners, so the country wants to promote skilled people to live here.

Also two more advantages are - all the 3 countries - France, Germany and Belgium all are close by within 1 hr distance (but again depends on the city you wanna go). So most of the rich business men live here because it is easy to travel for business purposes. So in-case you start a business in this location, it would be perfect for you.

Another advantage - After your period in Luxembourg, in-case you decide to work in other schengen country like Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria.... your living period there also is considered for the Luxembourg PR but I am exactly not sure what is the ratio. But definitely, PR and work permit extension is not an issue.

Thanks for the info.

So the govt. of Luxembourg officially support an extension of the 2-yr work permit?

And is language not an issue? I know you said english is spoken there, but finding work would be difficult if you rely ONLY on English?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

First of all above discussion is very informative
However I have a quick question regarding the salary
it's mentioned somewhere that for fresher it will b around 15000/year (I know it's the base )
Which makes it around 1200 per month
And also somewhere it's metioned that for housing it will be around 600 per month (assuming its the least price for a decent place)
So , I am just curious isnt it too low even for a fresher...and after rent there are also other expensives even for a single person

Can you please guide me here
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
echelon99 wrote:
Akkumon wrote:

Thanks for the info.

So the govt. of Luxembourg officially support an extension of the 2-yr work permit?

And is language not an issue? I know you said english is spoken there, but finding work would be difficult if you rely ONLY on English?

Since there is a mix of different nationalities, english and french are used as the main languages. Most of the jobs require good command over english. If you can speak English well, job is not at all a problem here.
The government of Luxembourg is officially supporting the extension of the 2-yr work permit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All :-D

I had done some research from the university website & it looks like this course had started in 2011
So anyone from the first batch here ?
I want to know whats the job opportunity after this course
Can anyone from the batch tell me whats the avg or min/max salary after internship for their batch

Derek :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ,

Having read through all the posts, I would like to compliment you for being of great help in addressing concerns of
prospective students. I have applied for the MBA with Internship at SHU,Luxembourg & in the process of submitting
the recommendations etc.

I have completed 4 yrs of Work experience in Banking & Insurance domain.Currently, I am part of the Wealth Management team
for First Gulf Bank in Dubai,UAE.

I would like to understand how would the job opportunities be for Private Banking & Wealth Management ?
These are the primary areas of interest for me.

To supplement the funding for my education, would finding a part time job in Finance firms be feasible ?

Looking forward to your reply,

thanks,
Aditya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
adityanshirodkar wrote:
Hi ,

Having read through all the posts, I would like to compliment you for being of great help in addressing concerns of
prospective students. I have applied for the MBA with Internship at SHU,Luxembourg & in the process of submitting
the recommendations etc.

I have completed 4 yrs of Work experience in Banking & Insurance domain.Currently, I am part of the Wealth Management team
for First Gulf Bank in Dubai,UAE.

I would like to understand how would the job opportunities be for Private Banking & Wealth Management ?
These are the primary areas of interest for me.

To supplement the funding for my education, would finding a part time job in Finance firms be feasible ?

Looking forward to your reply,

thanks,
Aditya

Why would you want to do a part time job when you can get a fulltime job for your internship of 9 months. There are lot of banks that focus on Private Wealth management such as KBL, BIL, Credit Agricole, BNP......so your focus should be to make as many good contacts during your 9 months fulltime internship and you can get it extended if you do a good job. There is no question of part-time job. If you are asking me whether you can do a part time job after your 9-5 work and 6.30-9.30 class in a day , I cant find time after that..... I think the internship money is sufficient for you to live and enjoy....Internships are not part time....they are fulltime from 9-5....I can extend my internship but since I want to take an exchange to the US, I am not planning to.... If things are not clear...just take a look at the previous posts again....there is 2 pages on information...:)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ,
Thanks for your reply.

I was asking about the initial 16 months of the MBA, what is the schedule of lectures ?
Is there a scope to work - part time during the initial 16 months as the internship is applicable in the last 9 months.

When is the option for US exchange exercised by students ?

Regards,
Aditya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I heard that there are so many applicants for this year, but they are not taking in much people. They are carefully screening people and are accepting very few people. But whoever feels to apply, I think they can still. Just be sure to have some uniqueness in ur profile.

Originally posted by akkumon2020 on 15 Feb 2013, 02:11.
Last edited by akkumon2020 on 01 Jul 2013, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akkumon2020 wrote:
I heard that there are so many applicants for this year, but they are not taking in much people. They are carefully screening people and are excepting very few people. But whoever feels to apply, I think they can still. Just be sure to have some uniqueness in ur profile.

Good to hear that. Definitely SHU is a much better than many of the ranked schools in Europe. The kind of response I received from them is very friendly and helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys, just to let you know.....i was travellling to different places around luxembourg......its close and good for weekend trips.....good thing about luxembourg is,
u earn more and you can easily enjoy - close by countries like amsterdam, germany, belgium...... i went to amsterdam for a 5 day vacation, it was superb.......
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats to all my new classmates who got admission for this year and I hope to see you guys soon!!!!!
People who are still waiting to hear from the school, best of luck to you guys also.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Wow highly informative post.
I will need to use some of the questions posted here in my own research.
Thanks to all the contributors for the great post.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4