GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 23:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

M09-19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
M09-19  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:26) correct 31% (01:15) wrong based on 130 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
V
Re M09-19  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:40
Official Solution:

Is \(|x - 5| \gt 4\)?

Is \(|x-5| \gt 4\)? Opening the absolute value we get the question: is \(x \lt 1\) or \(x \gt 9\)?

(1) \(x^2-4 \lt 0\) and thus \(x^2 \lt 4\) therefore \(|x| \lt 2\) and we can deduce that \(-2 < x < 2\), so we can have an YES answer as well as a NO answer (consider \(x=0\) and \(x=1.5\)). Not sufficient.

(2) \(x^2-1 \lt 0\) thus \(x^2 \lt 1\) therefore \(|x| \lt 1\) and finally, \(-1 \lt x \lt 1\). Sufficient.

Answer: B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Current Student
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Re: M09-19  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 10:36
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Is \(|x-5| \gt 4\)? Opening the absolute value we get the question: is \(x \lt 1\) or \(x \gt 9\)?

(1) \(x^2-4 \gt 0\) and thus \(x^2 \gt 4\) therefore \(|x| \gt 2\) and we can deduct that \(x \lt -2\) or \(x \gt 2\), so we can have an YES answer as well as a NO answer (consider \(x=-5\) and \(x=5\)). Not sufficient.

(2) \(x^2-1 \lt 0\) thus \(x^2 \lt 1\) therefore \(|x| \lt 1\) and finally, \(-1 \lt x \lt 1\). Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,
I have a doubt in inequality with absolute value questions where we are asked to find if the given statement satisfies the two required inequalities for instance in the above question:
we are required to find if \(x<1 or x >9\), so as per the Second statement we get \(-1<x<1\) so is this sufficient to answer the question?

Because \(x>9\) or not is still left unattended.
SO what exactly is the approach in such questions?

Regards
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 10:48
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) \(x^2-4 \gt 0\) and thus \(x^2 \gt 4\) therefore \(|x| \gt 2\) and we can deduct that \(x \lt -2\) or \(x \gt 2\), so we can have an YES answer as well as a NO answer (consider \(x=-5\) and \(x=5\)). Not sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,
I have a doubt in inequality with absolute value questions where we are asked to find if the given statement satisfies the two required inequalities for instance in the above question:
we are required to find if \(x<1 or x >9\), so as per the Second statement we get \(-1<x<1\) so is this sufficient to answer the question?

Regards

The question asks whether x < 1 or x > 9 (those are two ranges which make |x - 5| > 4 to hold true).

(2) says that -1 < x < 1, so x IS less than 1, and therefore |x - 5| > 4 to holds true.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 10:54
Bunuel wrote:
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hi Bunuel,

Regards

The question asks whether x < 1 or x > 9 (those are two ranges which make |x - 5| > 4 to hold true).

(2) says that -1 < x < 1, so x IS less than 1, and therefore |x - 5| > 4 to holds true.

So as basically if either of the range is satisfied by the given statements conclusively, then we do not have to worry about the other range ie x>9 ?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 11:03
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 11:08
Got it. Thank you.

If possible, could we find similar questions with two ranges like above question and two statements that proves their sufficiency?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 11:09
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2016, 05:27
While the Algebra approach is perfectly fine, I was just wondering whether a Plug-In approach (picking up numbers & then matching with the inequalities) could be used in such cases or not. Is it going to be more confusing or more time confusing than solving the three given inequalities?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 05:25
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Dear Bunuel,
I solved this question using algebra and got the question right.
But there is a discrepancy in the result of x between your solution and mine.
Please help me understand the difference

X^2-4>0 can be written as (x-2)(x+2)>0
therefore x>2 or X>-2,
But if I write mod X>2
then X>2
or -X >2 ==> X<-2

How can the same equation have two different solutions ?
Thanks
Teja
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 05:40
evst wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Dear Bunuel,
I solved this question using algebra and got the question right.
But there is a discrepancy in the result of x between your solution and mine.
Please help me understand the difference

X^2-4>0 can be written as (x-2)(x+2)>0
therefore x>2 or X>-2,But if I write mod X>2
then X>2
or -X >2 ==> X<-2

How can the same equation have two different solutions ?
Thanks
Teja

How did you get x>2 or x>-2? It does not make sense.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 07:54
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Can you explain "opening the absolute value"? I get what you mean in the end result as I can see if you add 5 to the other side you get 9 and if you subtract 5 you get -1 (how'd it become a positive 1?). But how did you know which one to flip the sign on?

I imagine this is much easier done than said.

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 09:08
redfield wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Can you explain "opening the absolute value"? I get what you mean in the end result as I can see if you add 5 to the other side you get 9 and if you subtract 5 you get -1 (how'd it become a positive 1?). But how did you know which one to flip the sign on?

hi,
there are two ways ..
1) open the MOD..
\(|x-5| \gt 4\)..
first time let x-5 be +ive ... so \(x-5>4.....................x>9...\)
second time take x-5 to be -ive... so \(-(x-5)>4...\) Multiply both sides by '-', the > sign will change........\(.....x-5<4..... x<1.\)
2) critical method...
here it will amount to same as above

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 09:11
chetan2u wrote:
redfield wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

hi,
there are two ways ..
1) open the MOD..
\(|x-5| \gt 4\)..
first time let x-5 be +ive ... so \(x-5>4.....................x>9...\)
second time take x-5 to be -ive... so \(-(x-5)>4...\) Multiply both sides by '-', the > sign will change........\(.....x-5<4..... x<1.\)
2) critical method...
here it will amount to same as above

For more check the links below:

Theory on Absolute Values: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html
The E-GMAT Question Series on ABSOLUTE VALUE: the-e-gmat-question-series-on-absolute-value-198503.html
Properties of Absolute Values on the GMAT: properties-of-absolute-values-on-the-gmat-191317.html
Absolute Value: Tips and hints: absolute-value-tips-and-hints-175002.html

DS Absolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS Absolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Hard set on Absolute Values: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 20:39
I was of the impression that in DS questions the two statements provided cannot contradict each other. Is that true? If yes, aren't the two statements contradicting each other in this question?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 01:02
CircleOfLife wrote:
I was of the impression that in DS questions the two statements provided cannot contradict each other. Is that true? If yes, aren't the two statements contradicting each other in this question?

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Edited the question. Thank you.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Goizueta '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.7
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 01:09
Bunuel I'm not sure I understand - if for statement 2 I plug in x=0,
we have on one hand x-5=0-5=-5 > 4? No.
But |x-5| also means -(x-5), correct? Then if I plug in x=0 here, it becomes -(0-5)=5>4? Yes. We get 2 different answers with x=0 if we go with statement 2. Where am I going wrong? Thanks.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 01:14
bianalyst wrote:
Bunuel I'm not sure I understand - if for statement 2 I plug in x=0,
we have on one hand x-5=0-5=-5 > 4? No.
But |x-5| also means -(x-5), correct? Then if I plug in x=0 here, it becomes -(0-5)=5>4? Yes. We get 2 different answers with x=0 if we go with statement 2. Where am I going wrong? Thanks.

First of all an absolute value is ALWAYS non-negative, again it CANNOT be negative.

So, |x - 5|, no matter what x is will be positive or 0. It'll be 0 if x = 5 and positive for ANY other values of x.

If x = 0, the |x - 5| = |0 - 5| = |-5| = 5.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 08:46
For problem-related to mod, keep in mind if |a|>|b| than a^2>b^2
X2-10x+9>0 which will be rewritten as (x-9)(x-1)>0
Solution set for this equation is (-∞,1) U (9,∞)

Statement 1 says (x-2)(x+2)<0 which means (-2<x<2), and within this solution set stem will be positive as well as negative, NS

Statement 2 says (x-1)(x+1)<0 which means (-1<x<1), and within this solution set stem only be positive only. Sufficient

Hence B is the answer. Hope I am right and it's clear.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Reviews Badge
M09-19  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 00:55
Hi Bunuel,

Many thanks for this great question. I got the solution, the way you showed it. Only today, while I was attempting another question from the GMAT Club tests, I stumbled upon the sign method for solving inequalities. I was just wondering if you or someone else could kindly explain how to solve THIS question using the sign method. Many thanks!

If you must err, err on the side of hope.
I believe in your success

GMAT Club Bot
M09-19 &nbs [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 00:55

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

M09-19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap