Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619038 [43]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619038 [20]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619038 [2]
Send PM
Re: M10-05 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

In two similar triangles (or rectangles), the ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides.

Given: ratio of diagonals \(= \frac{18}{15}=1.2\) (note that diagonals are the hypotenuses in right triangles made by width and length).

(1) The ratio of width to length is the same for both screens. This implies that the rectangles are similar, hence right triangles made by diagonals are similar as well, which means that the ratio of areas of triangles = ratio of areas of rectangles \(= ( \frac{18}{15} )^2 = 1.44\). Sufficient.

(2) The width of the 18''-screen is 20% greater than that of the 15''-screen. Given: the ratio of widths = 1.2 = ratio of diagonals (hypotenuse), so right triangles made by width and length are similar, (in right triangles if 2 corresponding sides are in the same ratio, in our case \(\frac{W}{w}=\frac{D}{d}=1.2\), then these right triangles are similar). Therefore the rectangles are similar too, which means that the ratio of areas of triangles = the ratio of areas of rectangles \(= ( \frac{18}{15} )^2=1.44\). Sufficient.

Answer: D

I did not follow the highlighted part. Ratio of widths is same as ratio of hypotenuse.

Stem says that the ratio of the diagonals is 18/15 = 1.2 and (2) says that the ration of widths is also 1.2. So, the ratio of widths = 1.2 = ratio of diagonals (hypotenuse).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
I think this question is good and helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
What is the ratio of the area of a rectangular TV screen with a diagonal of 18'' to that of a rectangular screen with a diagonal of 15''?

(1) The ratio of width to length is the same for both screens.

(2) The width of the 18''-screen is 20% greater than that of the 15''-screen.

Hi Bunuel,
I have encountered a genuine doubt while solving this question. Are not the diagonals of a rectangle equal in length? If it's so, then in any case the area of each rectangle can be determined using the formula 1/2*(diagonal)^2 and the ratio of their areas can be determined. This would make the 2 statements not required to answer the question itself.
Please make this clear to me. I am really confused.
Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619038 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Deepshikha1907 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the ratio of the area of a rectangular TV screen with a diagonal of 18'' to that of a rectangular screen with a diagonal of 15''?

(1) The ratio of width to length is the same for both screens.

(2) The width of the 18''-screen is 20% greater than that of the 15''-screen.

Hi Bunuel,
I have encountered a genuine doubt while solving this question. Are not the diagonals of a rectangle equal in length? If it's so, then in any case the area of each rectangle can be determined using the formula 1/2*(diagonal)^2 and the ratio of their areas can be determined. This would make the 2 statements not required to answer the question itself.
Please make this clear to me. I am really confused.
Thanks.

You can find the area with diagonal^2/2 ONLY for squares. Yes, the diagonals of a rectangle are equal, but rectangles with equal diagonals have different areas.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [4]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For those who need more clarity on concepts tested in this sum -

Property - In two similar triangles, the ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides.

Take example of \(3-4-5\) triangle. Area will be \(6\).

Now if its a \(6-8-10\) triangle. Area will be \(24.\)

Ratio of sides =\(6/3 = 8/4 = 10/5 = 2\)
Ratio of area = \(24/6 = 4\)

Hence (Ratio of sides)\(^2\) = Ratio of the area

For statement 2 -
Special note on right angled triangles. These triangles follow 4 cases on similarity -
Case 1 - Side - Angle - Side case
Case 2 - At least 2 angles are proportional
Case 3 - All sides are proportional
Case 4 - Hypotenuse - Leg condition : If the lengths of the hypotenuse and a leg of a right triangle are proportional to the corresponding parts of another right triangle, then the triangles are similar.

Bonus note - In two similar triangles, their perimeters and corresponding sides, medians and altitudes will all be in the same ratio.
Attachments

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png [ 50.16 KiB | Viewed 3420 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

In two similar triangles (or rectangles), the ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides.

Given: ratio of diagonals \(= \frac{18}{15}=1.2\) (note that diagonals are the hypotenuses in right triangles made by width and length).

(1) The ratio of width to length is the same for both screens. This implies that the rectangles are similar, hence right triangles made by diagonals are similar as well, which means that the ratio of areas of triangles = ratio of areas of rectangles \(= ( \frac{18}{15} )^2 = 1.44\). Sufficient.

(2) The width of the 18''-screen is 20% greater than that of the 15''-screen. Given: the ratio of widths = 1.2 = ratio of diagonals (hypotenuse), so right triangles made by width and length are similar, (in right triangles if 2 corresponding sides are in the same ratio, in our case \(\frac{W}{w}=\frac{D}{d}=1.2\), then these right triangles are similar). Therefore the rectangles are similar too, which means that the ratio of areas of triangles = the ratio of areas of rectangles \(= ( \frac{18}{15} )^2=1.44\). Sufficient.

Answer: D

HI GMATGuruNY, AndrewN , GMATCoachBen , Bunuel

I'm not clear about Statement (2)The width of the 18''-screen is 20% greater than that of the 15''-screen. We are not aware of the length?

So I marked as A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM