Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Magoosh SC Question [#permalink]
thanks, mike, I was confusing things...the rule you described hits the nail on the head

this is the question (finally found it):

since-1966-roughly-21-percent-of-those-enlisted-in-the-usmc-104302.html

Since 1966, roughly 21 percent of those enlisted in the USMC had reached an E-5 ranking in fewer than three years.
(A) had reached an E-5 ranking in fewer than three years
(B) have reached an E-5 ranking in less than three years
(C) have reached an E-5 ranking in under three years
(D) had reached an E-5 ranking in less than three years
(E) have reached an E-5 ranking in fewer than three years

Confusing as the author of the thread has the OA as A....
then many people question this and think OA should be E (answer I chose)....
FINALLY, someone references another forum that proves the OA is actually B (and thus employs the exact rule you stated)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Magoosh SC Question [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
m3equals333 wrote:
thanks, mike, I was confusing things...the rule you described hits the nail on the head

Since 1966, roughly 21 percent of those enlisted in the USMC had reached an E-5 ranking in fewer than three years.

FINALLY, someone references another forum that proves the OA is actually B (and thus employs the exact rule you stated)

Dear Derek,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, just a request: when you post or repost a GMAT SC question, please underline the appropriate words in the prompt. That's just a common courtesy to whoever reads it.

My friend, you have to understand that not all SC are created equal. Some are good, some are mediocre, and some are abysmal. This is an absolutely horrible SC question. It looks as if someone who doesn't really understand the nuances of the GMAT SC was trying to write a question in that format. In terms of the quality of question-writing craftsmanship, I would give this question a grade of a D.

The tense split at the beginning is OK. Clearly because this activity has been ongoing since 1966, we need the present perfect ("have reached"), not the past perfect ("had reached"). Whoever claimed that the OA is (A) is completely benighted. Choices (A) & (D) are clearly wrong. Among the other three answer choices, there is no good way to choose. Choice (E) is technically correct, but it sounds awkward. The sentence is talking about a general time period, and what is notable is that some percent has risen to E-5 in less time than three years. It seems awkward to suggest that advancement to this level could only occur in a discrete integer numbers of years, which is a subtle implication of (E). Perhaps promotion cycles in the USMC are strictly annual: I don't know. Both (B) and (C) are flawless. The question is a very poor question, and is not worth further analysis.

My friend, don't be naive. Just because someone out there has written something that they call a GMAT SC practice question, don't automatically assume that the question is well-written or that it adheres at all to the lofty standards of the GMAT. There are many poorly written SC practice questions out there. In particularly, if you get a question for free, be suspicious. In our world, it often is the case that if something is of high quality, one has to pay for it, and anything offered for free is not as good. That certainly is not always true 100% of the time, but that's a common pattern. Studying well-crafted questions will prepare you for the GMAT. Studying poorly written questions will not help you, and it may distract you and even give you misinformation. It's important to be discerning in the material you choose.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
m3equals333 wrote:

Dear Derek,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, just a request: when you post or repost a GMAT SC question, please underline the appropriate words in the prompt. That's just a common courtesy to whoever reads it.

My friend, you have to understand that not all SC are created equal. Some are good, some are mediocre, and some are abysmal. This is an absolutely horrible SC question. It looks as if someone who doesn't really understand the nuances of the GMAT SC was trying to write a question in that format. In terms of the quality of question-writing craftsmanship, I would give this question a grade of a D.

The tense split at the beginning is OK. Clearly because this activity has been ongoing since 1966, we need the present perfect ("have reached"), not the past perfect ("had reached"). Whoever claimed that the OA is (A) is completely benighted. Choices (A) & (D) are clearly wrong. Among the other three answer choices, there is no good way to choose. Choice (E) is technically correct, but it sounds awkward. The sentence is talking about a general time period, and what is notable is that some percent has risen to E-5 in less time than three years. It seems awkward to suggest that advancement to this level could only occur in a discrete integer numbers of years, which is a subtle implication of (E). Perhaps promotion cycles in the USMC are strictly annual: I don't know. Both (B) and (C) are flawless. The question is a very poor question, and is not worth further analysis.

My friend, don't be naive. Just because someone out there has written something that they call a GMAT SC practice question, don't automatically assume that the question is well-written or that it adheres at all to the lofty standards of the GMAT. There are many poorly written SC practice questions out there. In particularly, if you get a question for free, be suspicious. In our world, it often is the case that if something is of high quality, one has to pay for it, and anything offered for free is not as good. That certainly is not always true 100% of the time, but that's a common pattern. Studying well-crafted questions will prepare you for the GMAT. Studying poorly written questions will not help you, and it may distract you and even give you misinformation. It's important to be discerning in the material you choose.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi Mike - I appreciate the clarification! This question has been gnawing at me for quite sometime, so I am happy to finally have it put to rest :)

Yes, makes sense (I actually came across the aforementioned Magoosh SC Question on the Magoosh site via premium membership)...

I've got to give it to you guys, some truly challenging/creative/enlightening questions on the Magoosh site!

Top notch stuff, honestly (debating whether to take another gmat in a couple weeks - scored over 700 on gmat a couple weeks back - would be my last chance to take it before the apps kick into high gear)

Regards,
Derek
GMAT Club Bot