Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [47]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [6]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 540 Q35 V29
Send PM
Re: Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn [#permalink]
Hello,

the OA is D - however I have some doubts. (D) The first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that the author asserts;the second is that generalization.

It says the first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that author asserts and second is that generalization. I am not sure if I understood that correctly.

The way I read this is - "mathematicians are antisocial loners" - is the generalization and "he has no job, let alone a university position" kind of supports that generalization. None of this is what author asserts. It's the opposite of what author concludes.

what am I missing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn [#permalink]
kuvshah wrote:
Hello,

the OA is D - however I have some doubts. (D) The first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that the author asserts;the second is that generalization.

It says the first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that author asserts and second is that generalization. I am not sure if I understood that correctly.

The way I read this is - "mathematicians are antisocial loners" - is the generalization and "he has no job, let alone a university position" kind of supports that generalization. None of this is what author asserts. It's the opposite of what author concludes.

what am I missing?

I think you are missing the point "generalization that the author asserts." The author never asserts that math people are antisocial individuals; rather, he advocates that they are a tight nit community. Therefore, the fact that the mathmatician has no job is a counterpoint to the author's generalization that they are a tight nit social community.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 540 Q35 V29
Send PM
pafrompa wrote:
kuvshah wrote:
Hello,

what am I missing?

I think you are missing the point "generalization that the author asserts." The author never asserts that math people are antisocial individuals; rather, he advocates that they are a tight nit community. Therefore, the fact that the mathmatician has no job is a counterpoint to the author's generalization that they are a tight nit social community.

I thought so. So here generalization is referring to Author's assertion that "mathematicians clearly form a tightly knit community" ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Hi Experts , what is wrong with option B:
As per me - BF1 is indeed a Fact/evidence which is in favour of the poplar view ( Mathematicians are not social). BF2 can be taken as restatement of the view that they are social. Dont know what is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
As per me - BF1 is indeed a Fact/evidence which is in favour of the poplar view ( Mathematicians are not social). BF2 can be taken as restatement of the view that they are social. Dont know what is wrong.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Mathematician: Recently, Zubin Ghosh made headlines when he was recogn [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rakaisraka wrote:

BF1 are BF2 are opposing statements. The term "restatement" indicates that both statements are on the same side. Hence B is wrong.

(One quick technique to eliminate a few answers in a BF type question is to quickly identify whether the statements are on the same side or opposing each other.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
kuvshah wrote:
pafrompa wrote:
kuvshah wrote:
Hello,

what am I missing?

I thought so. So here generalization is referring to Author's assertion that "mathematicians clearly form a tightly knit community" ?

Correct, because that is the generalization "that the author asserts." It is a generalization that mathematicians are loners, but it's not the one put forward by the author.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can someone help me understand the answers between C and D? 'cos they are close to each other. Thanks!

Sent from my General Mobile 4G Dual using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
BF1 : he has no job, let alone a university position. A premise which provides a specific example of a generalization that "mathematicians are antisocial loners"
BF2 : mathematicians clearly form a tightly knit community. A Generalized main conclusion that the author supports.

A: The first is an observation the author makes to illustrate a social pattern; the second is a generalization of that pattern
Wrong. Both one and second are saying different things. The second is a generalization of a different pattern.

B: The first is evidence in favor of the popular view expressed in the argument;the second is a brief restatement of that view.
The second is not a brief restatement of the first view but rather endorses a different view. Eliminate B
C: The first is a specific example of a generalization that the author contradicts;the second is a reiteration of that generalization
The first statement is ok but the second "the second is a reiteration of that generalization" is incorrect. The second presents a different conclusion endorsed by the author.
D: The first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that the author asserts;the second is that generalization.
Correct . The BF1 is supporting a different conclusion that the argument endorses. The BF2 is that conclusion.
E: The first is a judgment that counters the primary assertion expressed in the argument; the second is a circumstance on which that judgment is based.
Easy to eliminate.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hello experts -- GMATNinja, gmat1393, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354, iamsiddharthkapoor

Per the guide, it is said BF2 is the conclusion of the argument

Just wondering if you agree with this ?

When i read this argument -- i thought the conclusion was NOT BF2 but rather unsaid

BF2 seemed to me a premise towards a unsaid conclusion (In my mind -- unsaid conclusion was, the popular view that mathematicians are antisocial loners was indeed incorrect and BF2 was a premise instead)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Kudos
The second boldface says "mathematicians actually form a tight-knit community." This is a generalization because it cannot be true for ALL mathematicians. Instead, the author means to suggest that in general mathematicians form a tight-knit community. This is made more clear by the fact that Ghosh, the mathematician in question, is NOT part of a tight-knit community. Hence, it would not make sense to declare as fact the idea that all mathematicians form a community.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) The first is an observation the author makes to illustrate a social pattern; the second is a generalization of that pattern.
It is not a generalization of the same pattern but rather counterstating of what the people think

(B) The first is evidence in favor of the popular view expressed in the argument;the second is a brief restatement of that view.
first half id true to an extend however the second half is not just a restatement but rather countering this trend

(C) The first is a specific example of a generalization that the author contradicts;the second is a reiteration of that generalization.
Author is not condracting but rather stating that the generalization is not correct

(D) The first is a specific counterexample to a generalization that the author asserts;the second is that generalization.
This nails down the argument the author wanted to express

(E) The first is a judgment that counters the primary assertion expressed in the argument; the second is a circumstance on which that judgment is based
Completely out without a question this doesn't make sense
Hence IMO D
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't really like D as an answer here, though it's better than the rest. In informal language, when we talk about a "generalization", we're describing a conclusion that is unfair or false (as wiktionary says, "an oversimplified or exaggerated conception, opinion, or image of the members of a group"). And the language in this question is so informal (some of it even ungrammatical) that I would interpret "generalization" to have its common meaning. The only generalization of this type in the context of the argument is the "view that mathematicians are antisocial loners", but answer D instead describes the "mathematicians form a community" as the "generalization" in the stem.

"Generalization" can have a more formal meaning in logic -- it can refer to a conclusion reached by generalizing from examples. But we can't characterize the phrase "mathematicians clearly form a tightly knit community" as a generalization under that definition either, because we don't know how the author reached that conclusion. So I don't think D is precisely characterizing the roles of the bolded portions. The first portion should instead be characterized as "a generalization the author disputes".

And if this were a real GMAT question, the passage would be based on actual facts, but this passage is completely fictional.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts