Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 13:30 It is currently 03 May 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72999 [1]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: MBA Salary Bump Question [#permalink]
Definitely appreciate all the feedback! Although I respect all the feedback from my personal network, this unbiased viewpoint I think is potentially as valuable (maybe even more valuable!).

I'm not necessarily switching industries (from the payer side to the provider side within healthcare), but I think the jump that I would want to make naturally demands the need for a more traditional business background. Also, I honestly want to get into a more strategic and management role from the consultant roles that I have had in the past. I know the salary in the healthcare provider space in the midwest for manager/director level positions is anywhere from ~100-130k on average. In addition, I'm actively building my network in the provider space through networking events, associations, and personal connections. I've never worried about developing my network--my type A personality and general curiosity naturally leads to an interesting network!

Also, one point that I am absolutely stuck on is how much debt I would really take on. For a PT program, my company will partially subsidize whereas for a FT I would have to fully depend on loans (scholarships, grants, etc. if I'm lucky). I know I'll be able to put up a very competitive application and am hoping for some sort of university based scholarship for a PT program, which I've heard is fairly difficult to come across.

I still have time to think through all of this as I'm planning on applying for programs starting in 2018. Thank you so much for reading and given your thoughts/feedback JonAdmissionado and bb!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Booth '16 (M)
Send PM
Great questions - sounds like you are putting the appropriate amount of thought behind it. Our founders are Booth MBAs too so if you ever want to chat, just hit us up! :)

On your salary bump question - I'd encourage you to look not just at salary bump by school, but also within what function and industry you're interested in, and ideally by company. The thing most MBA applicants don't realize is the sheer variance of compensation (as well as hours worked and travel %) by company, even within the same industry or function.

For example - if you're looking to get into Product Management in Tech - what does Amazon pay vs. Google? How does that vary if you were looking to stay in the Midwest at Google's Chicago or Ann Arbor office? What about bonus potential? And perhaps most importantly given your family - how many hours can I expect to work?

Check out our site to help you answer some of these questions more specifically (TransparentMBA)
GMAT Club Bot