Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:55 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [1]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Strategy Guides and OG Study plan recommendation [#permalink]
Kudos
Scon wrote:
Hi,
Im preparing to take my GMAT exam in 3 months. I'm relying on Self-study. I'm planning to read MGMAT strategy books and OG.

How do you recommend I use MGMAT and OG together? I finished reading all the Quant MGMAT books and solved the problems in that book with no challenges. But when I begin to tackle real GMAT questions I am not able to solve within 2 minutes. I think that I need to do OG and MGMAT strategy guides parallely and not do theory first and then wait to do OG problems.

Please suggest an effective way to use MGMAT and OG together considering that I have 75-90 days before my exam.

Thank you fam!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi, What is current score level? Start your questios with easy level, once you habituated with easy and medium level questions then move into hard level question. It will help you to manage time to solve the level wise questions. if you reach to this level(Easy question should be done in 60-75 sec, Medium level 75-90 Sec), then you will have time for harder questions. :thumbup:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [2]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
MGMAT Strategy Guides and OG Study plan recommendation [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks

Originally posted by akela on 09 Jul 2019, 09:42.
Last edited by akela on 09 Jul 2019, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
MGMAT Strategy Guides and OG Study plan recommendation [#permalink]
Thank you for all the replies fam! These articles are definitely helpful but I'd really like to know a more definitive way to use GMAT Club questions or OG questions. And I completely understand how this can be very subjective. *This is probably too much to ask and may be it is something for me to figure it out for myself * I'm really trying to put numbers and a plan on my calendar and I am struggling to do it. I want to make the most optimal use of my resources without exhausting them which can happen by the time I realize what the right strategy is.
I did the OG diagnostic and here is how I scored (Not time boxed - Took my time to solve): 44/48 (PS + DS) - 3 of them were really silly and one was because I forgot Variance and Standard Deviation concepts; 10/17 (CR); 14/17 (RC); 8/17 (SC)
I tried to solve some original GMAT questions and I am taking up to 5 minutes to solve some difficult ones (particularly word problems). Being an Engineer, Quant is supposed to be my forte, so I'll be very disappointed if my Quant scores don't reflect: 49, 50 or 51. Speed is definitely still a big big issue. But again I've only started preparing from 20 days (60 hours) and I have about another 80 days (240+ hours) left. I am able to spend up to 3 hours per day during weekdays and 4 hours per day each of the days on the weekends.
My target score is 740; otherwise I won't get an admission in the school where I want to study.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Scon,

The pencil-and-paper Diagnostic Test isn't the most accurate way to assess your skills for the Official GMAT (the number of questions, the 'order' of the questions and the ratio of the question types - among other things - do NOT match what you will face on Test Day). Have you taken any practice CATs/mocks yet? If you have not, then you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What is your exact Test Date?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22070 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Scon,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help.

Since you seem to be struggling when solving practice GMAT questions, it’s likely that you have not fully learned each GMAT quant and verbal topic. Thus, you may consider going back and following a more thorough study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic and to then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery. If you find that you need to practice more questions per topic, then you may consider using some additional resources. Certainly, if you’d like some more detailed advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach out.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot