Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Schools: ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Re: Moral integrity in business is of the highest concern, for [#permalink]
How should I comprehend the OA? How does it shift in meaning?
I was totally confused. Anybody can explain?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
Mavisdu1017 wrote:

"no longer integrated" changes to "disintegrated"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Moral integrity in business is of the highest concern, for [#permalink]
desertEagle wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:

"no longer integrated" changes to "disintegrated"

HI,desertEagle I think you got wrong bro, the choice says (a key term) that shifts in meaning, but what you said is two terms rather than one key term.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Dkhapllicator wrote:
The argument’s reasoning is flawed because the argument

(A) takes for granted that the survival of businesses is the only important ethical concern; Nowhere is this mentioned, nor is it an assumption upon which this argument relies, so NO to this one.

(B) confuses a cause of integrity with an effect of integrity; So a solid business shows more integrity than a failing one, or opposite? This is not mentioned here.

(C) contains a key term that shifts in meaning from one sense to another; Hmm, lets see. Argument mentions integrity (moral/ethical sense), then moves to integrated (as in structural) so this is correct.

(D) overlooks the possibility that integrity is not a public-relations or management goal of some businesses Does not matter and is not mentioned.

(E) takes for granted that a condition required for the conclusion to be true necessarily makes the conclusion true The argument doesn't. It states without integrity businesses will disintegrate, but lacks in the middle of this where structural integrity is mixed up in meaning. So this is not important.

I had kept C but selected E because I read the 'integrated' and 'disintegrated' to be an analogy with survival of the company , instead of wordplay on the meaning of integrity.

If you think along those lines then E holds i.e., a company without integrity would no longer be integrated is insufficient to say that it would disintegrate. Does this make sense?

I know integrated isn't absolutely the right word but structurally broken can be an analogy for a company to not be surviving well.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Palpable wrote:
Dkhapllicator wrote:
The argument’s reasoning is flawed because the argument

(A) takes for granted that the survival of businesses is the only important ethical concern; Nowhere is this mentioned, nor is it an assumption upon which this argument relies, so NO to this one.

(B) confuses a cause of integrity with an effect of integrity; So a solid business shows more integrity than a failing one, or opposite? This is not mentioned here.

(C) contains a key term that shifts in meaning from one sense to another; Hmm, lets see. Argument mentions integrity (moral/ethical sense), then moves to integrated (as in structural) so this is correct.

(D) overlooks the possibility that integrity is not a public-relations or management goal of some businesses Does not matter and is not mentioned.

(E) takes for granted that a condition required for the conclusion to be true necessarily makes the conclusion true The argument doesn't. It states without integrity businesses will disintegrate, but lacks in the middle of this where structural integrity is mixed up in meaning. So this is not important.

I had kept C but selected E because I read the 'integrated' and 'disintegrated' to be an analogy with survival of the company , instead of wordplay on the meaning of integrity.

If you think along those lines then E holds i.e., a company without integrity would no longer be integrated is insufficient to say that it would disintegrate. Does this make sense?

I know integrated isn't absolutely the right word but structurally broken can be an analogy for a company to not be surviving well.

Posted from my mobile device

Yeah I see what you mean. But here the shift in meaning is so drastic that it just doesnt make sense in the argument. It would be like going from sex as a gender in one sentence to the physical act in the next. Regardless, we now know what to do if we get a similar case on official test :) (though it is unlikely to see something like this)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts