Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink]
I am going to graduate in the spring with a B.S. in accounting. Major GPA is 3.85.

I would like to eventually get a PhD in accounting. Any thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I think you will get in, they dont seem as selective for accounting majors as they are for nonaccounting majors and your GMAT is like 70-90 points above their average?

Why are you considering BC? Its a great school but you probably have great shots at Illinois, Texas, and other ones as well?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Boston college has a program that starts in the summer/fall program instead of fall/spring or fall/spring/summer like most other programs. This will let me graduate and start working sooner.

Also, my girlfriend is living in Boston... so if I want to be close to her, I am limited on my options. In there area I really only considered BC and Bentley, but after visiting the campuses of both of them I decided on BC.

I don't really know what the placement is for Big 4, but I am hoping that being in Boston will improve my odds of working at an office that has a lot of opportunity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey,

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I applied to Boston College and they should let us know by February 15th.

Also,I have spent hours upon hours looking up rankings,comments,discussions,opinions,etc about MSA degrees... I kinda get a sense that people think it is better to go to a school in an area where you intend to work. My girlfriend is in the northeast and she is pretty much the only reason why I applied to BC and Baruch. I have been accepted to Ohio State, but if everything goes well,I think I will be attending BC.

I think you will most definitely get in and probably get some money from BC as well. So good luck to you,mate!

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey jsslvtt,

I just checked the BC application and I got a letter of acceptance.
Login to their application website and scroll all the way down on the home page. It should say something like "Your decision is now available online".

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mine says it is in review. Maybe they will post it soon. What were your stats like? Why did you choose to apply at BC?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
oops didn't read your post above. I see your reason now. it is the same reason as me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ya they released decisions for August starters very early as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah,mine says "Your application is under committee review". However, if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page,you should have a link to your decision letter. Or it might take another day or two...

Anyway,I have pretty average scores - 620 on GMAT, 3.7 GPA with accounting and finance majors. I think that my essays and my internship/work experience helped a lot - I interned with Deloitte, in an Italian bank, and now I am working for E&Y in Europe.

I am pretty sure you'll get in with your scores,though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah but still, I think they will appreciate the different background that you have.

I applied for the one starting in August/September,whatever. And I submitted waaay back at the beginning of October.. So I was basically waiting for 4 months before I heard back. Maybe they are notifying people in chronological order, you know.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got my letter of acceptance today :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bbmccarn wrote:

congrats!

Can you share your stats? and when your program starts?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jsslvtt wrote:
bbmccarn wrote:

congrats!

Can you share your stats? and when your program starts?

Sure.

I applied to the fall program this year.

Honestly, compared to a lot of the people on this forum, i feel as though my credentials are a bit sub-par. Nothing like the 650+ GMAT scores and 3.8 GPA's I've seen all over the place.

I got a 580 on the GMAT and have a 3.446 GPA with a B.S. in accounting. Though I've had two internships, and a few executive board positions in clubs around campus, including Beta Alpha Psi.

I feel like my personal statements were pretty strong, so that probably helped a bit too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Boston College doesn't do interviews, right? Or do they?

Has anybody applied for entrance in the summer? I applied for the June start because I thought the sooner the better. However, I am surprised that nobody else applied for that start date. Is there something I missed?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
September is for people who did not major in accounting primarily is the impression i got, and mandatory for those who have none of the prerequisites. I would have chosen summer if I had an accounting degree to be done early as well. I know a lot of their summer class is summer and summer current big4 accountants trying to get their hours done.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cyan wrote:
September is for people who did not major in accounting primarily is the impression i got, and mandatory for those who have none of the prerequisites. I would have chosen summer if I had an accounting degree to be done early as well. I know a lot of their summer class is summer and summer current big4 accountants trying to get their hours done.

Cyan, what made you decide on applying to BC? Have you made your final decision?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got a scholarship to BC and was exempted out of many courses, also am originally from the Northeast. I am still debating between BC, Texas, UNC, and USC but with BC being the best financial offer and strongly considering placement there and the alumni network (eagles are very loyal, not sure if the two publics really have that feeling), it might be the choice, its just hard to turn down higher rated schools but I also want an august start. Ive talked to current students at the program and their feedback seems pretty good.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts