Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: MSF Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
PRUTHVIRAJ1208 wrote:
Hi there,

My profile: B.E Mechanical (graduated in June 2017) with an aggregate of 57.70% from MIT Pune, Maharasthra, India
A total of 10 months of over a period of 4 years summer internship.
Toefl - 106
GMAT - Expecting a 710-720 (exam date - 13 Nov 2017)

I am planning to apply for Master in finance in USA in the following colleges :
1. Boston college - Carroll school of management
2. Simon business school, Rochester university
3. USC Marshall
4. Princeton
5. University of Maryland - Smith

My second preference is Universities in Europe:
1. Imperial college london
2. IE , Spain
3. EDHEC, France

What are the realistic chances of getting into those colleges, so that I can figure out my plan of action in case I am being too optimistic as I don't have any work experience in the field of finance.
Thanks in advance

So I don't know what that GPA converts to, but assuming it is good, and your GMAT is in that range, you'd be competitive at all the schools listed (with the exception of Princeton). Maryland would be your safety school. Simon is a good option and well known back in India. Boston College, for some reason I sense this being difficult simply because their program is pretty tight with information. Like I don't have a great relationship with those guys and they don't post a ton of information on their website. Not sure what is going on.

USC - worth applying, but I think the GMAT might be a little to low.

Regarding my Princeton comment, I think those guys really like work experience. I is almost a top MBA substitute.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DIII wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
First class honors is good. UK schools care about this. Assuming your GMAT comes in 700 or higher, you will stand a good chance at the schools you listed. BITS is a great Indian university and respected across the world. CFA L1 should remove any fears about your non-financial background. Your UG being in a quantitative field is a benefit as well. The work experience issue is less important for EU/UK schools than it is in the US. Even in the US, work experience is a pro, but lack of work experience isn't a con.

All in all, you are a good applicant. Focus on the GMAT and you should be fine.

UPDATE:
Hey MSFHQ, completed my GMAT. GOT 760 (Q50 V42).

Great work. That is a very good GMAT. You should be highly competitive at the schools you listed.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PRUTHVIRAJ1208 wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
PRUTHVIRAJ1208 wrote:
Hi there,

My profile: B.E Mechanical (graduated in June 2017) with an aggregate of 57.70% from MIT Pune, Maharasthra, India
Toefl - 106

3. USC Marshall
4. Princeton

2. IE , Spain
3. EDHEC, France

What are the realistic chances of getting into those colleges, so that I can figure out my plan of action in case I am being too optimistic as I don't have any work experience in the field of finance.
Thanks in advance

So I don't know what that GPA converts to, but assuming it is good, and your GMAT is in that range, you'd be competitive at all the schools listed (with the exception of Princeton). Maryland would be your safety school. Simon is a good option and well known back in India. Boston College, for some reason I sense this being difficult simply because their program is pretty tight with information. Like I don't have a great relationship with those guys and they don't post a ton of information on their website. Not sure what is going on.

USC - worth applying, but I think the GMAT might be a little to low.

Regarding my Princeton comment, I think those guys really like work experience. I is almost a top MBA substitute.

Hello Mfhq,
Just an update, I scored 690/800 (Q49, V35)
In which of the following colleges do I stand a good chance according to you, and which ones should I prefer?

1. University of Rochester
2. USC Marshall
3. University of California - San Diego (Rady School of management)
4. Mccombs Texas
5. Boston college
6. Illinois Institute of Technology
7. Ohio state
8. Vanderbilt
9. University of Maryland

Definitely highly competitive with Rochester, UC San Diego, IIT, OSU and Maryland. The rest will be tough with that GMAT split. A 690 is good, but not amazing. Especially for an international. Vanderbilt, UT Austin, USC, Boston College, all have lower percentages of international students, so they are much more selective.

Apply, but expect to get a lot of rejections from these schools.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JasC wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

I am a domestic student applied for MSF program for 2018~2019. I recently got offers from OSU (Fisher) and UC San Diego. I am wondering how's the quality of these two programs. Also, I am wondering which program would give me a bigger opportunity to land a Corporate Finance job in Silicon Valley.

Thank you!

So OSU's MSF is definitely the better program. It has been around longer, has a better history of placements and over time, these programs develop, adapt and improve. The thing is UCSD has a geographic advantage. Logistically, going to OSU will mean you will need to network with west coast firms, adjust to the time zone different and do most of your networking on the phone. If you go to Ohio State, I would budget in a couple thousand in travel costs as you will need to set up meetings and fly out there yourself.

I would talk to the OSU career office and see what west coast firms come on campus. Might want to compare that with San Diego. You could also look at Oregon as they will have a great west coast brand name and probably better recruiting where you are looking to work.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
YuzhouHuang wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
JasC wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

I am a domestic student applied for MSF program for 2018~2019. I recently got offers from OSU (Fisher) and UC San Diego. I am wondering how's the quality of these two programs. Also, I am wondering which program would give me a bigger opportunity to land a Corporate Finance job in Silicon Valley.

Thank you!

So OSU's MSF is definitely the better program. It has been around longer, has a better history of placements and over time, these programs develop, adapt and improve. The thing is UCSD has a geographic advantage. Logistically, going to OSU will mean you will need to network with west coast firms, adjust to the time zone different and do most of your networking on the phone. If you go to Ohio State, I would budget in a couple thousand in travel costs as you will need to set up meetings and fly out there yourself.

I would talk to the OSU career office and see what west coast firms come on campus. Might want to compare that with San Diego. You could also look at Oregon as they will have a great west coast brand name and probably better recruiting where you are looking to work.

Hey MSFHQ,
I'm an international student from Canada. I've had a year worth of work experience at an asset management firm as a junior financial analyst in Shanghai. My GPA(Econ+History):3.137 from UC Davis; Gmat 710: (50Q37Q).
I recently finished my interview with Rochester and will be interviewing for Vanderbilt in a few hours. Both schools have waived my application fee. I wonder what my chances are of getting into either program with the interview?

GMAT is ok. GPA is lower, but from a US school. I think you'd get into Rochester, low prob/maybe at Vanderbilt. Vandy is very limited in the number of internationals they allow into the program. Rochester is mainly international students. Being Canadian and going to a US school makes you a little different. Work experience is nice.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SCF11 wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the game here. Hoping to get your opinion as I'm a slightly older candidate -- 25 now and would be 26 by matriculation. Hard to tell if I'm a solid candidate or if my age/work experience is going to be a major problem.

Background/stats:
Small non-target liberal arts school in the NE; DIII Varsity Athlete
GPA: 3.4 (Major: Econ, Minor: Math) with strong upward trend
GMAT: 730-750 (Q 48/49 V 42) based off practice tests
WE: Just under two years of BO PE fund accounting for a large custodian bank; internship with a very small PE firm while in college
Goals: Investment Research or Corporate Finance

Really hoping for Vandy, but also planning to apply to Nova. I don't think I'm a great candidate at a top 15 MBA at this point and I'm hoping a top MSF would give me a solid rebrand and chance at some FO recruiting. Appreciate any insight or thoughts you may have

GPA is good. Athlete is a plus. GMAT would be great if you score in that range. Work experience is pure gravy. Both would accept you.

Now here is the rub. Assuming you get a GMAT in that range, I would advise you keep working. Focus on charity work or something unique for the next two years and you will be competitive for T7-15MBA programs. Cornell, UNC, Duke, NYU, CMU, stuff like that. Maybe higher, depends on the essays and what you do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi there Anthony

Are you familiar with programs aimed at research? I want to do my masters in finance(preferable a two years one) and I'm looking for advice. My end goal is to attend the best Ph.D. program I can (in U.S / finance or accounting since I enjoy the research prospect of both) and get a job in some medium/ lower tier state college (think Lincoln Nebraska). My original plan was to strengthen my CV and apply for 2019, but since the situation in my country (Iran) is not so good right now, I'm applying this year to at least test the waters.

My GPA is 3.33 (Industrial engineering) and my GMAT is 750 (Q50/V42). I'm also taking CFA 1 this December and will most likely pass. I don't have any work experience or internship, no interesting hobbies, not anything really. So I'm not sure if I have any chance. (I'm 24 BTW). On top of all these, I have a budget of $60,000. this is supposed to cover my living costs for two years and pay for my studies. Which means I have to get a need-based scholarship at the very least.

These are the programs I'm going to apply to

1. Bocconi: ESS / Finance
2. Tinbergen: MPhil finance
3. SSE: Finance
4. St.Gallen: MiQE/F / Banking & finance

I'm not applying to any programs located in us, Canada or UK since they don't have scholarships for international students. (at least that's the impression I got). I might also apply to some cheap french programs and esade in Spain. So what do you think? Do you know any programs in the US which are cheap enough for me to attend or offer a scholarship? are there any other programs I should apply to? any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello,

I answered the post on WSO, but I will do so here for everyone else to read as well.

What is nice about European programs is most of them are longer and most have a thesis required. Bocconi offers scholarships based on gmat scores (which yours is great). They are two years and have a thesis. My buddy is finishing up there and his recruiting has been great (I say this to confirm the top reputation the school has).

St Gallen and SSE are also both great programs. Top US programs will know and respect these schools.

Tinbergen, IMO, would be slightly below these other schools, but the Mphi is more a academic degree, which would align with your goals.

If your goal is academic research, I would focus on degree price and relationships with professors. You want a program where you will have some opportunity to work closely with the professors, maybe even helping them with research. This will help boost your PhD chances. If you can find this at a SSE or Bocconi type program, all the better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Send PM
MSF Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Hello All, I am planning for admissions for the year 2018.

I am a current student of BITS Pilani pursuing my Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science. I am in my final year(4th year 1st semester).
I am currently doing an internship in Samsung Research and Development for 6 months in Data Science. I have booked a date for GMAT on November 4th, expecting a score around 740 and I am planning to take IELTS on November 25th, haven't booked yet.
I have decided to apply for MSc Finance and related fields in Universities in Europe(mainly UK). I am preferring UK as the courses here are only 1 year long compared with 2 year courses in USA, mainly because financial costs of 1 year courses are less than 2 years courses.
Also, I have seen that the colleges and programs I am going to apply have their applications start around October 2017 and end around June 2018. My current CGPA is 6.7 and it will be 7.2(First Class) after my 4-1, so around January 10th. I am also planning to sit for placements(Job) as a backup plan. This is why I am planning to apply to these colleges around February beginning. I know this is late but my CGPA will increase to greater than 7 and my placements will end around Jan 20th. So I wanted to ask you if my plan is viable. I am planning for MSc finance or related course in finance from UCL, Edinburgh, Kings College, University of Bristol and Cass and ESADE. I have seen that these courses expect no prior experience or background in finance and accept students with Quant related course such as engineering.
I had Mathematics in 3 semesters of my study which included calculus , statistics, probability , etc, and some mathematics in computer science courses as well.

I have very less experience and knowledge in Finance as I have focused on Computer Science till now, but have done 1 course ( Principles of Economics) and planning to do 3 more course in finance in 4-2. Also planning to apply to CFA level this July 2018, if that will increase my chances. I am also thinking of doing online certification courses in finance in 4-2 to show the adcom I am committed and interested.
I have 2 months full time in an NGO related to livelihood training for the poor. and some other Extracurricular activities such as clubs etc.

My main problem is the no experience in finance(although the programs don't expect that they may prefer prior knowledge), and my CGPA is also not great but considering BITS, I think it is above average.
I think my strong point will be my GMAT (expecting around 740).
I am planning to apply to the following colleges.

UCL( University College London).
ESADE Spain.
University of Edinburgh.
Kings college London.
University of Bristol.
Cass Business School.
Bocconi.
HEC Paris.
LSE, LBS, Oxford( highly competitive so don't know If I should apply).

I wanted to know my chances in these schools and if there are any better programs that I have a chance that I have missed.
what do you think about my plan, MSFHQ ?
Thank You. :)
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
DIII wrote:
Hello All, I am planning for admissions for the year 2018.

I am a current student of BITS Pilani pursuing my Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science. I am in my final year(4th year 1st semester).
I am currently doing an internship in Samsung Research and Development for 6 months in Data Science. I have booked a date for GMAT on November 4th, expecting a score around 740 and I am planning to take IELTS on November 25th, haven't booked yet.
I have decided to apply for MSc Finance and related fields in Universities in Europe(mainly UK). I am preferring UK as the courses here are only 1 year long compared with 2 year courses in USA, mainly because financial costs of 1 year courses are less than 2 years courses.
Also, I have seen that the colleges and programs I am going to apply have their applications start around October 2017 and end around June 2018. My current CGPA is 6.7 and it will be 7.2(First Class) after my 4-1, so around January 10th. I am also planning to sit for placements(Job) as a backup plan. This is why I am planning to apply to these colleges around February beginning. I know this is late but my CGPA will increase to greater than 7 and my placements will end around Jan 20th. So I wanted to ask you if my plan is viable. I am planning for MSc finance or related course in finance from UCL, Edinburgh, Kings College, University of Bristol and Cass and ESADE. I have seen that these courses expect no prior experience or background in finance and accept students with Quant related course such as engineering.
I had Mathematics in 3 semesters of my study which included calculus , statistics, probability , etc, and some mathematics in computer science courses as well.

I have very less experience and knowledge in Finance as I have focused on Computer Science till now, but have done 1 course ( Principles of Economics) and planning to do 3 more course in finance in 4-2. Also planning to apply to CFA level this July 2018, if that will increase my chances. I am also thinking of doing online certification courses in finance in 4-2 to show the adcom I am committed and interested.
I have 2 months full time in an NGO related to livelihood training for the poor. and some other Extracurricular activities such as clubs etc.

My main problem is the no experience in finance(although the programs don't expect that they may prefer prior knowledge), and my CGPA is also not great but considering BITS, I think it is above average.
I think my strong point will be my GMAT (expecting around 740).
I am planning to apply to the following colleges.

UCL( University College London).
ESADE Spain.
University of Edinburgh.
Kings college London.
University of Bristol.
Cass Business School.
Bocconi.
HEC Paris.
LSE, LBS, Oxford( highly competitive so don't know If I should apply).

I wanted to know my chances in these schools and if there are any better programs that I have a chance that I have missed.
what do you think about my plan, MSFHQ ?
Thank You. :)

First class honors is good. UK schools care about this. Assuming your GMAT comes in 700 or higher, you will stand a good chance at the schools you listed. BITS is a great Indian university and respected across the world. CFA L1 should remove any fears about your non-financial background. Your UG being in a quantitative field is a benefit as well. The work experience issue is less important for EU/UK schools than it is in the US. Even in the US, work experience is a pro, but lack of work experience isn't a con.

All in all, you are a good applicant. Focus on the GMAT and you should be fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Send PM
Thank You, I will contact you again after taking my GMAT, hope you don't mind :P :).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi all,

My profile:
Bachelors in Economics(graduating in december). Top university from Brazil and one of the top in Latin America. 6.5/10, from class rankings I believe it would translate to a UK's upper second class.
Taking TOEFL and GMAT soon, hoping for at least a 710, maybe 720.
2 internships related to finances but not in any major bank or very known companies.
Good extracurriculars: Financial Markets club, basketball capt, basic finances teaching for small NGO's.

My main goal is to work in IB back in Brazil, though I would like build a social network and keep myself open to opportunities. So location matters but not as much as the school's brand.

Looking to aply to:
LSE(MSF & PE, or MSFE),LBS(MFA), Imperial(MSF), HSG(MBF).

And in the US:
USC(MSF), WUSTL(MSCF), BC(MSF)

Thinking about IE and RSM too(in case my GMAT is a bit lower).

If you could suggest 4-5 schools I should be applying first (looking to apply until december). And any other good B-schools I am missing and might be accepted.

Thank you!
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
absalv wrote:
Hi all,

My profile:
Bachelors in Economics(graduating in december). Top university from Brazil and one of the top in Latin America. 6.5/10, from class rankings I believe it would translate to a UK's upper second class.
Taking TOEFL and GMAT soon, hoping for at least a 710, maybe 720.
2 internships related to finances but not in any major bank or very known companies.
Good extracurriculars: Financial Markets club, basketball capt, basic finances teaching for small NGO's.

My main goal is to work in IB back in Brazil, though I would like build a social network and keep myself open to opportunities. So location matters but not as much as the school's brand.

Looking to aply to:
LSE(MSF & PE, or MSFE),LBS(MFA), Imperial(MSF), HSG(MBF).

And in the US:
USC(MSF), WUSTL(MSCF), BC(MSF)

Thinking about IE and RSM too(in case my GMAT is a bit lower).

If you could suggest 4-5 schools I should be applying first (looking to apply until december). And any other good B-schools I am missing and might be accepted.

Thank you!

Assuming you have a good GMAT, you would be competitive at the schools listed. I think the UK schools might be harder as they really like first class honors.

Take a look at UVA's MS in Global Commerce. They love students from South America. You get two degrees and a cert. Spend time in the US, Europe and China. Would give you a lot of global exposure. They'd like your profile as well.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hi there,

thanks for your guidance, I think we all appreciate it very much (except the MBA-monkeys at WSO..).

My profile: I am German and I am not sure whether the "dual studies" are meanwhile more known outside of Germany: its a program in which you basically work and study in the same time. While it is recognized that it is harder in terms of quantity (as you do two things in the same time), the fact that you study at a university of applied science makes many skeptical. Anyway, I did such a program, studying at an (international) unknown university of applied science and graduated with GPA of 1.0 (best possible GPA). Further, I worked at an again international unknown company (utilities, 6,000 employees) - did an exchange semester in Spain and internship in Colombia and worked in controlling and M&A-department.

GMAT: 720 (Q49, V40), Toefl 117/120

I am applying now for Intake in Sep '18, until then I am going to do an internship at an investment bank in frankfurt (tier 2 or 3) and consulting (tier 2).

I am going to apply for: Oxford, LSE, LBS, Imperial, Bocconi, SSE, ESADE, HSG, MIT.

Could you please evaluate my profile and perhaps give guidance in regard to the schools - how would you rank them? Furthermore, I am considering taking the GMAT a second time to boost my quant score - would you recommend that or do you think it is unnecessary?

Thank you very much in advance.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi, i am from india and looking for STEM MSF in US. Could you please evaluate my profile.
I Completed B.Tech in electronics engineering from an autonomous college.
GPA - 9.19/10
(Passed Maths1 ,maths2 ,math3 in engineering with good scores)
GRE - 316 (Q- 165 , V - 151)
TOEFL - 100
Working as a java developer from july 2016 in indian branch of US based asset management/Insurance company which is one of fortune 500 companies.But no finance experience as such.
Planning to do some courses on Coursera etc.
Aiming for fall 2018.
1.which universities should i look for.
2.Do i stand chances of any scholarships?
3.should i also look for MFE courses? If yes, which universities?
4.Are there sufficient job opportunities after MSF?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Hi there,

Toefl - 106

3. USC Marshall
4. Princeton

2. IE , Spain
3. EDHEC, France

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Shalaka94 wrote:
Hi, i am from india and looking for STEM MSF in US. Could you please evaluate my profile.
I Completed B.Tech in electronics engineering from an autonomous college.
GPA - 9.19/10
(Passed Maths1 ,maths2 ,math3 in engineering with good scores)
GRE - 316 (Q- 165 , V - 151)
TOEFL - 100
Working as a java developer from july 2016 in indian branch of US based asset management/Insurance company which is one of fortune 500 companies.But no finance experience as such.
Planning to do some courses on Coursera etc.
Aiming for fall 2018.
1.which universities should i look for.
2.Do i stand chances of any scholarships?
3.should i also look for MFE courses? If yes, which universities?
4.Are there sufficient job opportunities after MSF?

Sir, can you please evaluate. I really need some help.

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts