GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MSF Class of 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
S
MSF Class of 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 12:34
I've done a similar theme on another finance forum, but I thought it might be helpful here as GMATclub tends to be serious and without the silly behavior. I am happy to answer any questions people have regarding US MSF programs, as well as European programs. I will defer when something is asked that I don't know about as I consider bad advice to be worse than no advice.

Me:

- 2010 MSF graduate
- 10 years financial industry experience
- Advised and helped students gain admission to nearly every US and a handful of European MSF programs
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) – September 2013 Edition – The Challenging Landscape of Graduate Business Education: New Opportunities for Recent Graduates by Katie Stephens (Referenced and Mentioned)

Read more http://msfhq.com/about/

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
B
Re: MSF Class of 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 04:11
Hi there Anthony

Are you familiar with programs aimed at research? I want to do my masters in finance(preferable a two years one) and I'm looking for advice. My end goal is to attend the best Ph.D. program I can (in U.S / finance or accounting since I enjoy the research prospect of both) and get a job in some medium/ lower tier state college (think Lincoln Nebraska). My original plan was to strengthen my CV and apply for 2019, but since the situation in my country (Iran) is not so good right now, I'm applying this year to at least test the waters.

My GPA is 3.33 (Industrial engineering) and my GMAT is 750 (Q50/V42). I'm also taking CFA 1 this December and will most likely pass. I don't have any work experience or internship, no interesting hobbies, not anything really. So I'm not sure if I have any chance. (I'm 24 BTW). On top of all these, I have a budget of $60,000. this is supposed to cover my living costs for two years and pay for my studies. Which means I have to get a need-based scholarship at the very least.

These are the programs I'm going to apply to

1. Bocconi: ESS / Finance
2. Tinbergen: MPhil finance
3. SSE: Finance
4. St.Gallen: MiQE/F / Banking & finance

I'm not applying to any programs located in us, Canada or UK since they don't have scholarships for international students. (at least that's the impression I got). I might also apply to some cheap french programs and esade in Spain. So what do you think? Do you know any programs in the US which are cheap enough for me to attend or offer a scholarship? are there any other programs I should apply to? any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 09:47
Hello,

I answered the post on WSO, but I will do so here for everyone else to read as well.

What is nice about European programs is most of them are longer and most have a thesis required. Bocconi offers scholarships based on gmat scores (which yours is great). They are two years and have a thesis. My buddy is finishing up there and his recruiting has been great (I say this to confirm the top reputation the school has).

St Gallen and SSE are also both great programs. Top US programs will know and respect these schools.

Tinbergen, IMO, would be slightly below these other schools, but the Mphi is more a academic degree, which would align with your goals.

If your goal is academic research, I would focus on degree price and relationships with professors. You want a program where you will have some opportunity to work closely with the professors, maybe even helping them with research. This will help boost your PhD chances. If you can find this at a SSE or Bocconi type program, all the better.

Master in Finance HQ

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 23:50
Hello All, I am planning for admissions for the year 2018.

I am a current student of BITS Pilani pursuing my Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science. I am in my final year(4th year 1st semester).
I am currently doing an internship in Samsung Research and Development for 6 months in Data Science. I have booked a date for GMAT on November 4th, expecting a score around 740 and I am planning to take IELTS on November 25th, haven't booked yet.
I have decided to apply for MSc Finance and related fields in Universities in Europe(mainly UK). I am preferring UK as the courses here are only 1 year long compared with 2 year courses in USA, mainly because financial costs of 1 year courses are less than 2 years courses.
Also, I have seen that the colleges and programs I am going to apply have their applications start around October 2017 and end around June 2018. My current CGPA is 6.7 and it will be 7.2(First Class) after my 4-1, so around January 10th. I am also planning to sit for placements(Job) as a backup plan. This is why I am planning to apply to these colleges around February beginning. I know this is late but my CGPA will increase to greater than 7 and my placements will end around Jan 20th. So I wanted to ask you if my plan is viable. I am planning for MSc finance or related course in finance from UCL, Edinburgh, Kings College, University of Bristol and Cass and ESADE. I have seen that these courses expect no prior experience or background in finance and accept students with Quant related course such as engineering.
I had Mathematics in 3 semesters of my study which included calculus , statistics, probability , etc, and some mathematics in computer science courses as well.

I have very less experience and knowledge in Finance as I have focused on Computer Science till now, but have done 1 course ( Principles of Economics) and planning to do 3 more course in finance in 4-2. Also planning to apply to CFA level this July 2018, if that will increase my chances. I am also thinking of doing online certification courses in finance in 4-2 to show the adcom I am committed and interested.
I have 2 months full time in an NGO related to livelihood training for the poor. and some other Extracurricular activities such as clubs etc.

My main problem is the no experience in finance(although the programs don't expect that they may prefer prior knowledge), and my CGPA is also not great but considering BITS, I think it is above average.
I think my strong point will be my GMAT (expecting around 740).
I am planning to apply to the following colleges.

UCL( University College London).
ESADE Spain.
University of Edinburgh.
Kings college London.
University of Bristol.
Cass Business School.
Bocconi.
HEC Paris.
LSE, LBS, Oxford( highly competitive so don't know If I should apply).

I wanted to know my chances in these schools and if there are any better programs that I have a chance that I have missed.
what do you think about my plan, MSFHQ ?
Thank You. :)

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 14:46
DIII wrote:
Hello All, I am planning for admissions for the year 2018.

I am a current student of BITS Pilani pursuing my Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science. I am in my final year(4th year 1st semester).
I am currently doing an internship in Samsung Research and Development for 6 months in Data Science. I have booked a date for GMAT on November 4th, expecting a score around 740 and I am planning to take IELTS on November 25th, haven't booked yet.
I have decided to apply for MSc Finance and related fields in Universities in Europe(mainly UK). I am preferring UK as the courses here are only 1 year long compared with 2 year courses in USA, mainly because financial costs of 1 year courses are less than 2 years courses.
Also, I have seen that the colleges and programs I am going to apply have their applications start around October 2017 and end around June 2018. My current CGPA is 6.7 and it will be 7.2(First Class) after my 4-1, so around January 10th. I am also planning to sit for placements(Job) as a backup plan. This is why I am planning to apply to these colleges around February beginning. I know this is late but my CGPA will increase to greater than 7 and my placements will end around Jan 20th. So I wanted to ask you if my plan is viable. I am planning for MSc finance or related course in finance from UCL, Edinburgh, Kings College, University of Bristol and Cass and ESADE. I have seen that these courses expect no prior experience or background in finance and accept students with Quant related course such as engineering.
I had Mathematics in 3 semesters of my study which included calculus , statistics, probability , etc, and some mathematics in computer science courses as well.

I have very less experience and knowledge in Finance as I have focused on Computer Science till now, but have done 1 course ( Principles of Economics) and planning to do 3 more course in finance in 4-2. Also planning to apply to CFA level this July 2018, if that will increase my chances. I am also thinking of doing online certification courses in finance in 4-2 to show the adcom I am committed and interested.
I have 2 months full time in an NGO related to livelihood training for the poor. and some other Extracurricular activities such as clubs etc.

My main problem is the no experience in finance(although the programs don't expect that they may prefer prior knowledge), and my CGPA is also not great but considering BITS, I think it is above average.
I think my strong point will be my GMAT (expecting around 740).
I am planning to apply to the following colleges.

UCL( University College London).
ESADE Spain.
University of Edinburgh.
Kings college London.
University of Bristol.
Cass Business School.
Bocconi.
HEC Paris.
LSE, LBS, Oxford( highly competitive so don't know If I should apply).

I wanted to know my chances in these schools and if there are any better programs that I have a chance that I have missed.
what do you think about my plan, MSFHQ ?
Thank You. :)

First class honors is good. UK schools care about this. Assuming your GMAT comes in 700 or higher, you will stand a good chance at the schools you listed. BITS is a great Indian university and respected across the world. CFA L1 should remove any fears about your non-financial background. Your UG being in a quantitative field is a benefit as well. The work experience issue is less important for EU/UK schools than it is in the US. Even in the US, work experience is a pro, but lack of work experience isn't a con.

All in all, you are a good applicant. Focus on the GMAT and you should be fine.

Master in Finance HQ

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 20:39
Thank you MSFHQ, my main doubt was that will I be too late in applying in February(because of concerns listed above)?
and also, when I apply for MSc, I would have just applied for CFA L1 of June 2018(wouldn't have cleared it yet).

Also, what do you think about LSE, LBS, Oxford, should I apply? and did I miss any good universities? and what universities do you think I should prioritize.
forgive me if I am asking too many questions, I am just tensed about all this. :-)

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 08:56
DIII wrote:
Thank you MSFHQ, my main doubt was that will I be too late in applying in February(because of concerns listed above)?
and also, when I apply for MSc, I would have just applied for CFA L1 of June 2018(wouldn't have cleared it yet).

Also, what do you think about LSE, LBS, Oxford, should I apply? and did I miss any good universities? and what universities do you think I should prioritize.
forgive me if I am asking too many questions, I am just tensed about all this. :-)

I think applying earlier is better, but this isn't an option so not worth worrying about. LSE, LBS, Oxford, Imperial, Cambridge, all the main UK schools. Maybe Cass or UCL as well. You want to apply for a range of schools since you will be applying in the final round. If you applied earlier, you could stagger your schools and play some strategy.

Master in Finance HQ

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 10:23
Thank You, I will contact you again after taking my GMAT, hope you don't mind :P :).

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 07:54
Hi all,

My profile:
Bachelors in Economics(graduating in december). Top university from Brazil and one of the top in Latin America. 6.5/10, from class rankings I believe it would translate to a UK's upper second class.
Taking TOEFL and GMAT soon, hoping for at least a 710, maybe 720.
2 internships related to finances but not in any major bank or very known companies.
Good extracurriculars: Financial Markets club, basketball capt, basic finances teaching for small NGO's.

My main goal is to work in IB back in Brazil, though I would like build a social network and keep myself open to opportunities. So location matters but not as much as the school's brand.

Looking to aply to:
LSE(MSF & PE, or MSFE),LBS(MFA), Imperial(MSF), HSG(MBF).

And in the US:
USC(MSF), WUSTL(MSCF), BC(MSF)

Thinking about IE and RSM too(in case my GMAT is a bit lower).

If you could suggest 4-5 schools I should be applying first (looking to apply until december). And any other good B-schools I am missing and might be accepted.

Thank you!
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 17:34
absalv wrote:
Hi all,

My profile:
Bachelors in Economics(graduating in december). Top university from Brazil and one of the top in Latin America. 6.5/10, from class rankings I believe it would translate to a UK's upper second class.
Taking TOEFL and GMAT soon, hoping for at least a 710, maybe 720.
2 internships related to finances but not in any major bank or very known companies.
Good extracurriculars: Financial Markets club, basketball capt, basic finances teaching for small NGO's.

My main goal is to work in IB back in Brazil, though I would like build a social network and keep myself open to opportunities. So location matters but not as much as the school's brand.

Looking to aply to:
LSE(MSF & PE, or MSFE),LBS(MFA), Imperial(MSF), HSG(MBF).

And in the US:
USC(MSF), WUSTL(MSCF), BC(MSF)

Thinking about IE and RSM too(in case my GMAT is a bit lower).

If you could suggest 4-5 schools I should be applying first (looking to apply until december). And any other good B-schools I am missing and might be accepted.

Thank you!

Assuming you have a good GMAT, you would be competitive at the schools listed. I think the UK schools might be harder as they really like first class honors.

Take a look at UVA's MS in Global Commerce. They love students from South America. You get two degrees and a cert. Spend time in the US, Europe and China. Would give you a lot of global exposure. They'd like your profile as well.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 12:20
Hi there,

thanks for your guidance, I think we all appreciate it very much (except the MBA-monkeys at WSO..).

My profile: I am German and I am not sure whether the "dual studies" are meanwhile more known outside of Germany: its a program in which you basically work and study in the same time. While it is recognized that it is harder in terms of quantity (as you do two things in the same time), the fact that you study at a university of applied science makes many skeptical. Anyway, I did such a program, studying at an (international) unknown university of applied science and graduated with GPA of 1.0 (best possible GPA). Further, I worked at an again international unknown company (utilities, 6,000 employees) - did an exchange semester in Spain and internship in Colombia and worked in controlling and M&A-department.

GMAT: 720 (Q49, V40), Toefl 117/120

I am applying now for Intake in Sep '18, until then I am going to do an internship at an investment bank in frankfurt (tier 2 or 3) and consulting (tier 2).

I am going to apply for: Oxford, LSE, LBS, Imperial, Bocconi, SSE, ESADE, HSG, MIT.

Could you please evaluate my profile and perhaps give guidance in regard to the schools - how would you rank them? Furthermore, I am considering taking the GMAT a second time to boost my quant score - would you recommend that or do you think it is unnecessary?

Thank you very much in advance.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 21:40
Hi, i am from india and looking for STEM MSF in US. Could you please evaluate my profile.
I Completed B.Tech in electronics engineering from an autonomous college.
GPA - 9.19/10
(Passed Maths1 ,maths2 ,math3 in engineering with good scores)
GRE - 316 (Q- 165 , V - 151)
TOEFL - 100
Working as a java developer from july 2016 in indian branch of US based asset management/Insurance company which is one of fortune 500 companies.But no finance experience as such.
Planning to do some courses on Coursera etc.
Aiming for fall 2018.
1.which universities should i look for.
2.Do i stand chances of any scholarships?
3.should i also look for MFE courses? If yes, which universities?
4.Are there sufficient job opportunities after MSF?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 22:47
Hi there,

My profile: B.E Mechanical (graduated in June 2017) with an aggregate of 57.70% from MIT Pune, Maharasthra, India
A total of 10 months of over a period of 4 years summer internship.
Toefl - 106
GMAT - Expecting a 710-720 (exam date - 13 Nov 2017)

I am planning to apply for Master in finance in USA in the following colleges :
1. Boston college - Carroll school of management
2. Simon business school, Rochester university
3. USC Marshall
4. Princeton
5. University of Maryland - Smith

My second preference is Universities in Europe:
1. Imperial college london
2. IE , Spain
3. EDHEC, France

What are the realistic chances of getting into those colleges, so that I can figure out my plan of action in case I am being too optimistic as I don't have any work experience in the field of finance.
Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 22:03
Shalaka94 wrote:
Hi, i am from india and looking for STEM MSF in US. Could you please evaluate my profile.
GPA - 9.19/10
TOEFL - 100
Working as a java developer from july 2016 in indian branch of US based asset management/Insurance company which is one of fortune 500 companies.But no finance experience as such.
Aiming for fall 2018.

Sir, can you please evaluate. I really need some help.

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 06:41
MSFHQ wrote:
First class honors is good. UK schools care about this. Assuming your GMAT comes in 700 or higher, you will stand a good chance at the schools you listed. BITS is a great Indian university and respected across the world. CFA L1 should remove any fears about your non-financial background. Your UG being in a quantitative field is a benefit as well. The work experience issue is less important for EU/UK schools than it is in the US. Even in the US, work experience is a pro, but lack of work experience isn't a con.

UPDATE:
Hey MSFHQ, completed my GMAT. GOT 760 (Q50 V42).

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 04:44
Luzifa7 wrote:
Hi there,

thanks for your guidance, I think we all appreciate it very much (except the MBA-monkeys at WSO..).

My profile: I am German and I am not sure whether the "dual studies" are meanwhile more known outside of Germany: its a program in which you basically work and study in the same time. While it is recognized that it is harder in terms of quantity (as you do two things in the same time), the fact that you study at a university of applied science makes many skeptical. Anyway, I did such a program, studying at an (international) unknown university of applied science and graduated with GPA of 1.0 (best possible GPA). Further, I worked at an again international unknown company (utilities, 6,000 employees) - did an exchange semester in Spain and internship in Colombia and worked in controlling and M&A-department.

GMAT: 720 (Q49, V40), Toefl 117/120

I am applying now for Intake in Sep '18, until then I am going to do an internship at an investment bank in frankfurt (tier 2 or 3) and consulting (tier 2).

I am going to apply for: Oxford, LSE, LBS, Imperial, Bocconi, SSE, ESADE, HSG, MIT.

Could you please evaluate my profile and perhaps give guidance in regard to the schools - how would you rank them? Furthermore, I am considering taking the GMAT a second time to boost my quant score - would you recommend that or do you think it is unnecessary?

Thank you very much in advance.

So you got great marks on your UG schooling, have international work experience and a good GMAT.

LSE - definitely think you'd get into one of their MSc programs.
LBS - depends which one you are aiming for (MiM, MiF, MFA), but otherwise, I think you would be a good candidate
Bocconi - competitive
ESADE - very competitive

MIT - I think you should definitely apply. GMAT is within range. Great GPA. Your profile is pretty unique and they do accept a large number of international students.

SSE - this is a top school and I really don't know too much about what they look for.
HSG - unsure.

In my opinion, the only real weakness of your profile is the unknown nature of your UG schooling. Also, European programs might have a stigma against the type of education path you took for UG. That I don't really know. Other than that, your stats look pretty good.

Master in Finance HQ

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 04:49
Shalaka94 wrote:
GPA - 9.19/10
TOEFL - 100
Aiming for fall 2018.

Great GPA in a hard major. GRE is very low though. Converts to about a 640 GMAT. Definitely make sure you study at a STEM program. With your GRE scores though, you will have to look at lower ranked STEM programs. I'd focus on MFE programs if I were you.

As for career outcomes, it will be tough in the US. Whatever program you do, make sure it is known back in India. It is tough to get a visa nowadays and employers are being more selective in who they sponsor. I think the MFE gives you more opportunities for an international student as you learn some core skills. MSF is great for learning finance, but the jobs MSF students place into really don't need a graduate level of financial understanding. MFE students on the other hand go into technical roles. You already have programming experience and would do well in a computation or financial engineering masters.

Master in Finance HQ

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 04:53
PRUTHVIRAJ1208 wrote:
Hi there,

My profile: B.E Mechanical (graduated in June 2017) with an aggregate of 57.70% from MIT Pune, Maharasthra, India
Toefl - 106

3. USC Marshall
4. Princeton

2. IE , Spain
3. EDHEC, France

What are the realistic chances of getting into those colleges, so that I can figure out my plan of action in case I am being too optimistic as I don't have any work experience in the field of finance.
Thanks in advance

So I don't know what that GPA converts to, but assuming it is good, and your GMAT is in that range, you'd be competitive at all the schools listed (with the exception of Princeton). Maryland would be your safety school. Simon is a good option and well known back in India. Boston College, for some reason I sense this being difficult simply because their program is pretty tight with information. Like I don't have a great relationship with those guys and they don't post a ton of information on their website. Not sure what is going on.

USC - worth applying, but I think the GMAT might be a little to low.

Regarding my Princeton comment, I think those guys really like work experience. I is almost a top MBA substitute.

Master in Finance HQ

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 04:54
DIII wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:

UPDATE:
Hey MSFHQ, completed my GMAT. GOT 760 (Q50 V42).

Great work. That is a very good GMAT. You should be highly competitive at the schools you listed.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 03:59
MSFHQ wrote:
PRUTHVIRAJ1208 wrote:
Hi there,

Toefl - 106

3. USC Marshall
4. Princeton

2. IE , Spain
3. EDHEC, France

Thanks in advance

So I don't know what that GPA converts to, but assuming it is good, and your GMAT is in that range, you'd be competitive at all the schools listed (with the exception of Princeton). Maryland would be your safety school. Simon is a good option and well known back in India. Boston College, for some reason I sense this being difficult simply because their program is pretty tight with information. Like I don't have a great relationship with those guys and they don't post a ton of information on their website. Not sure what is going on.

USC - worth applying, but I think the GMAT might be a little to low.

Regarding my Princeton comment, I think those guys really like work experience. I is almost a top MBA substitute.

Hello Mfhq,
Just an update, I scored 690/800 (Q49, V35)
In which of the following colleges do I stand a good chance according to you, and which ones should I prefer?

1. University of Rochester
2. USC Marshall
3. University of California - San Diego (Rady School of management)
4. Mccombs Texas
5. Boston college
6. Illinois Institute of Technology
7. Ohio state
8. Vanderbilt
9. University of Maryland
Re: MSF Class of 2019 &nbs [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 03:59

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 36 posts ] 

MSF Class of 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap