GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MSF Class of 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
S
Re: MSF Class of 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 22:12
PRUTHVIRAJ1208 wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
PRUTHVIRAJ1208 wrote:
Hi there,

My profile: B.E Mechanical (graduated in June 2017) with an aggregate of 57.70% from MIT Pune, Maharasthra, India
A total of 10 months of over a period of 4 years summer internship.
Toefl - 106
GMAT - Expecting a 710-720 (exam date - 13 Nov 2017)

I am planning to apply for Master in finance in USA in the following colleges :
1. Boston college - Carroll school of management
2. Simon business school, Rochester university
3. USC Marshall
4. Princeton
5. University of Maryland - Smith

My second preference is Universities in Europe:
1. Imperial college london
2. IE , Spain
3. EDHEC, France

What are the realistic chances of getting into those colleges, so that I can figure out my plan of action in case I am being too optimistic as I don't have any work experience in the field of finance.
Thanks in advance

So I don't know what that GPA converts to, but assuming it is good, and your GMAT is in that range, you'd be competitive at all the schools listed (with the exception of Princeton). Maryland would be your safety school. Simon is a good option and well known back in India. Boston College, for some reason I sense this being difficult simply because their program is pretty tight with information. Like I don't have a great relationship with those guys and they don't post a ton of information on their website. Not sure what is going on.

USC - worth applying, but I think the GMAT might be a little to low.

Regarding my Princeton comment, I think those guys really like work experience. I is almost a top MBA substitute.

Hello Mfhq,
Just an update, I scored 690/800 (Q49, V35)
In which of the following colleges do I stand a good chance according to you, and which ones should I prefer?

1. University of Rochester
2. USC Marshall
3. University of California - San Diego (Rady School of management)
4. Mccombs Texas
5. Boston college
6. Illinois Institute of Technology
7. Ohio state
8. Vanderbilt
9. University of Maryland

Definitely highly competitive with Rochester, UC San Diego, IIT, OSU and Maryland. The rest will be tough with that GMAT split. A 690 is good, but not amazing. Especially for an international. Vanderbilt, UT Austin, USC, Boston College, all have lower percentages of international students, so they are much more selective.

Apply, but expect to get a lot of rejections from these schools.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 04:05
Hi MSFHQ,

I am a domestic student applied for MSF program for 2018~2019. I recently got offers from OSU (Fisher) and UC San Diego. I am wondering how's the quality of these two programs. Also, I am wondering which program would give me a bigger opportunity to land a Corporate Finance job in Silicon Valley.

Thank you!
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 17:53
JasC wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

I am a domestic student applied for MSF program for 2018~2019. I recently got offers from OSU (Fisher) and UC San Diego. I am wondering how's the quality of these two programs. Also, I am wondering which program would give me a bigger opportunity to land a Corporate Finance job in Silicon Valley.

Thank you!

So OSU's MSF is definitely the better program. It has been around longer, has a better history of placements and over time, these programs develop, adapt and improve. The thing is UCSD has a geographic advantage. Logistically, going to OSU will mean you will need to network with west coast firms, adjust to the time zone different and do most of your networking on the phone. If you go to Ohio State, I would budget in a couple thousand in travel costs as you will need to set up meetings and fly out there yourself.

I would talk to the OSU career office and see what west coast firms come on campus. Might want to compare that with San Diego. You could also look at Oregon as they will have a great west coast brand name and probably better recruiting where you are looking to work.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 08:45
MSFHQ wrote:
JasC wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

Thank you!

So OSU's MSF is definitely the better program. It has been around longer, has a better history of placements and over time, these programs develop, adapt and improve. The thing is UCSD has a geographic advantage. Logistically, going to OSU will mean you will need to network with west coast firms, adjust to the time zone different and do most of your networking on the phone. If you go to Ohio State, I would budget in a couple thousand in travel costs as you will need to set up meetings and fly out there yourself.

I would talk to the OSU career office and see what west coast firms come on campus. Might want to compare that with San Diego. You could also look at Oregon as they will have a great west coast brand name and probably better recruiting where you are looking to work.

Hey MSFHQ,
I'm an international student from Canada. I've had a year worth of work experience at an asset management firm as a junior financial analyst in Shanghai. My GPA(Econ+History):3.137 from UC Davis; Gmat 710: (50Q37Q).
I recently finished my interview with Rochester and will be interviewing for Vanderbilt in a few hours. Both schools have waived my application fee. I wonder what my chances are of getting into either program with the interview?
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 21:06
YuzhouHuang wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
JasC wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

Thank you!

Hey MSFHQ,
I'm an international student from Canada. I've had a year worth of work experience at an asset management firm as a junior financial analyst in Shanghai. My GPA(Econ+History):3.137 from UC Davis; Gmat 710: (50Q37Q).
I recently finished my interview with Rochester and will be interviewing for Vanderbilt in a few hours. Both schools have waived my application fee. I wonder what my chances are of getting into either program with the interview?

GMAT is ok. GPA is lower, but from a US school. I think you'd get into Rochester, low prob/maybe at Vanderbilt. Vandy is very limited in the number of internationals they allow into the program. Rochester is mainly international students. Being Canadian and going to a US school makes you a little different. Work experience is nice.

Hope this helps.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern
MSF Class of 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 18:35
Hi MSFHQ,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the game here. Hoping to get your opinion as I'm a slightly older candidate -- 25 now and would be 26 by matriculation. Hard to tell if I'm a solid candidate or if my age/work experience is going to be a major problem.

Background/stats:
Small non-target liberal arts school in the NE; DIII Varsity Athlete
GPA: 3.4 (Major: Econ, Minor: Math) with strong upward trend
GMAT: 730-750 (Q 48/49 V 42) based off practice tests
WE: Just under two years of BO PE fund accounting for a large custodian bank; internship with a very small PE firm while in college
Goals: Investment Research or Corporate Finance

Really hoping for Vandy, but also planning to apply to Nova. I don't think I'm a great candidate at a top 15 MBA at this point and I'm hoping a top MSF would give me a solid rebrand and chance at some FO recruiting. Appreciate any insight or thoughts you may have
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 17:44
SCF11 wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the game here. Hoping to get your opinion as I'm a slightly older candidate -- 25 now and would be 26 by matriculation. Hard to tell if I'm a solid candidate or if my age/work experience is going to be a major problem.

Background/stats:
Small non-target liberal arts school in the NE; DIII Varsity Athlete
GPA: 3.4 (Major: Econ, Minor: Math) with strong upward trend
GMAT: 730-750 (Q 48/49 V 42) based off practice tests
WE: Just under two years of BO PE fund accounting for a large custodian bank; internship with a very small PE firm while in college
Goals: Investment Research or Corporate Finance

Really hoping for Vandy, but also planning to apply to Nova. I don't think I'm a great candidate at a top 15 MBA at this point and I'm hoping a top MSF would give me a solid rebrand and chance at some FO recruiting. Appreciate any insight or thoughts you may have

GPA is good. Athlete is a plus. GMAT would be great if you score in that range. Work experience is pure gravy. Both would accept you.

Now here is the rub. Assuming you get a GMAT in that range, I would advise you keep working. Focus on charity work or something unique for the next two years and you will be competitive for T7-15MBA programs. Cornell, UNC, Duke, NYU, CMU, stuff like that. Maybe higher, depends on the essays and what you do.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 00:50
Hi MSFHQ, I am also applying to STEM Designated MS Finance program in US and wanted some help.

Profile:
Nationality : Indian female
Educational background : Chartered Accountant from India, Bachelors in Commerce (3 year course) with a GPA of 6.52/7, Currently also pursuing a Diploma in Banking and Finance (to compensate for the 16th year of education required by a few Universities in the US)
Work experience :
Internship : As a part of the Chartered Accountancy course, I had done an internship with Deloitte in their Statutory Audit department (September 2012 to September 2013). Post which I have interned with a mid-size taxation firm (Sept 2013 to Oct 2015).
I have worked with Ernst & Young in their International tax team (Nov 2015 to December 2016) and now I am currently working with Tata Trusts, one of India's oldest and most reputed philanthropic organisation as a Consultant since April 2017.
GMAT Score: 660 (V 33, Q 47)
TOEFL : 114

Extra-curricular activities:
Have a Master Diploma in an Indian classical dance
Have been a part of Young Leaders for Active citizenship and have assisted the Member of Parliament with the policy drafting.
Have won a lot of awards in dance while in college and have organised the inter-college fests.

I have got 2 admits so far :-
1. Uni of Rochester, Simon School of Business for MSF with a 30% merit scholarship.
2. SUNY Buffalo (MSF Quantitative track)

I wanted to know how competitive my profile is for the following colleges:
UT Austin McCombs (MSF)
UIUC (MSF)
WUSTL Olin (MSQF)

Also, which program from all of the above would you suggest from an International student's perspective?

Please help!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 12:58
Hi Guys , I would like to know if anyone knows that applying in the last round of top tier business schools like HEC, IE Business school, Imperial College Of london, LSE, Trinity College Dublin or SDA Bocconi for Msc In Finance worth giving a try?

I have a score of 710 in Gmat with Ielts 7.5 Band. I am also a CFA Level 3 Candidate with 4 internships spanning for more than a Year.
Should I Apply or wait for the next Intake?

Please provide the feedback it will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: LBS MIF '20 (II)
GRE 1: Q162 V155
GPA: 3.23
MSF Class of 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 07:52
Hi MSFHQ,

I am originally from India, went to HKUST in HK for my bachelors and did computer science with a business minor.
Graduated in 2016 with a GPA of 3.23/4 after which I have been working in the technology division of one of the Tier I global investment banks here in HK.

I have passed CFA level 1 (dec 2015) and am appearing for CFA level II in June 2018.
GRE - 317 (Q-162,V-155, AWA-5)

As for my co-curricular activities,
- Founding member of the first asian chapter of a greek business fraternity here in HK
- Actively involved with the CSR committee at my workplace
- Peer Mentor during my time at university

I am looking at schools for 2019 entry and some of my shortlisted schools are:

1. Bocconi
2. EDHEC
3. ESSEC
4. HEC
5. ESADE
6. SSE
7. St. Gallen

Mainly aiming for European schools as it seems to be cheaper but if you think any US schools may be a good fit, I would consider that. I do have programming background but I am not really leaning towards a lot of quant.

Your reply will be very much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 08:10
Hi All,

I have recently been admitted to Simon Business School and Marshall School of Business for the MSF program (Fall 2018). Can someone please help me in deciding which school is better? Which school provides better prospects for jobs in Investment Banking. I also have received a 30% merit based scholarship at Simon.

Thanks,
Harsh Jain
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 19:07
sarajasamant wrote:
Hi MSFHQ, I am also applying to STEM Designated MS Finance program in US and wanted some help.

Profile:
Nationality : Indian female
Educational background : Chartered Accountant from India, Bachelors in Commerce (3 year course) with a GPA of 6.52/7, Currently also pursuing a Diploma in Banking and Finance (to compensate for the 16th year of education required by a few Universities in the US)
Work experience :
Internship : As a part of the Chartered Accountancy course, I had done an internship with Deloitte in their Statutory Audit department (September 2012 to September 2013). Post which I have interned with a mid-size taxation firm (Sept 2013 to Oct 2015).
I have worked with Ernst & Young in their International tax team (Nov 2015 to December 2016) and now I am currently working with Tata Trusts, one of India's oldest and most reputed philanthropic organisation as a Consultant since April 2017.
GMAT Score: 660 (V 33, Q 47)
TOEFL : 114

Extra-curricular activities:
Have a Master Diploma in an Indian classical dance
Have been a part of Young Leaders for Active citizenship and have assisted the Member of Parliament with the policy drafting.
Have won a lot of awards in dance while in college and have organised the inter-college fests.

I have got 2 admits so far :-
1. Uni of Rochester, Simon School of Business for MSF with a 30% merit scholarship.
2. SUNY Buffalo (MSF Quantitative track)

I wanted to know how competitive my profile is for the following colleges:
UT Austin McCombs (MSF)
UIUC (MSF)
WUSTL Olin (MSQF)

Also, which program from all of the above would you suggest from an International student's perspective?

Please help!

Rochester with a scholarship is pretty good. I think you stand a good chance at UIUC and a lesser shot at the other two. Of the other two, I would give you the lowest shot with UT Austin. The WUSTL quant track would probably be a better fit.

Hope this helps.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 02:36
Hey Anthony,
I got admits from University of Rochester (15000$ scholarship), Uni of Maryland (Graduate assitantship), and Brandeis School of business ($5000 scholarship). Which one according to you is the best choice, considering the financial aspect as well as without it. I am personally inclined towards Brandeis even though the scholarship is less than the other two.
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 07:01
Pruthviraj wrote:
Hey Anthony,
I got admits from University of Rochester (15000$ scholarship), Uni of Maryland (Graduate assitantship), and Brandeis School of business ($5000 scholarship). Which one according to you is the best choice, considering the financial aspect as well as without it. I am personally inclined towards Brandeis even though the scholarship is less than the other two.

I'd honestly go with either Rochester or Maryland.

Rochester has the better brand internationally. Maryland is a well known school and the GA is prestigious. Location is also nice.

Brandeis is OK simply because of the geography.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 05:33
absalv wrote:
Hi all,

My profile:
Bachelors in Economics(graduating in december). Top university from Brazil and one of the top in Latin America. 6.5/10, from class rankings I believe it would translate to a UK's upper second class.
Taking TOEFL and GMAT soon, hoping for at least a 710, maybe 720.
2 internships related to finances but not in any major bank or very known companies.
Good extracurriculars: Financial Markets club, basketball capt, basic finances teaching for small NGO's.

My main goal is to work in IB back in Brazil, though I would like build a social network and keep myself open to opportunities. So location matters but not as much as the school's brand.

Looking to aply to:
LSE(MSF & PE, or MSFE),LBS(MFA), Imperial(MSF), HSG(MBF).

And in the US:
USC(MSF), WUSTL(MSCF), BC(MSF)

Thinking about IE and RSM too(in case my GMAT is a bit lower).

If you could suggest 4-5 schools I should be applying first (looking to apply until december). And any other good B-schools I am missing and might be accepted.

Thank you!

Hey guys,

Got admitted to:
- Olin B. School (WUSTL): MSF Corporate Fin and Investments track.
- Rotterdam School of Management: MS in Finance and Investments.

Ignoring tuition, which one do you think has more to offer and best brand name recognition in general. My objective is to work AM or IB back in Brazil.
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 20:07
absalv wrote:
absalv wrote:
Hi all,

My profile:
Bachelors in Economics(graduating in december). Top university from Brazil and one of the top in Latin America. 6.5/10, from class rankings I believe it would translate to a UK's upper second class.
Taking TOEFL and GMAT soon, hoping for at least a 710, maybe 720.
2 internships related to finances but not in any major bank or very known companies.
Good extracurriculars: Financial Markets club, basketball capt, basic finances teaching for small NGO's.

My main goal is to work in IB back in Brazil, though I would like build a social network and keep myself open to opportunities. So location matters but not as much as the school's brand.

Looking to aply to:
LSE(MSF & PE, or MSFE),LBS(MFA), Imperial(MSF), HSG(MBF).

And in the US:
USC(MSF), WUSTL(MSCF), BC(MSF)

Thinking about IE and RSM too(in case my GMAT is a bit lower).

If you could suggest 4-5 schools I should be applying first (looking to apply until december). And any other good B-schools I am missing and might be accepted.

Thank you!

Hey guys,

Got admitted to:
- Olin B. School (WUSTL): MSF Corporate Fin and Investments track.
- Rotterdam School of Management: MS in Finance and Investments.

Ignoring tuition, which one do you think has more to offer and best brand name recognition in general. My objective is to work AM or IB back in Brazil.

Rotterdam is a really good program. Same with Olin. Not sure which one is better known in Brazil though. That would be the deciding factor. If you think a US school will provide better recognition and respect, then go there. Same for Rotterdam.

Master in Finance HQ

GMAT Club Bot
Re: MSF Class of 2019 &nbs [#permalink] 05 Apr 2018, 20:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

MSF Class of 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap