Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:38 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: MS Finance
Schools:Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Chances? [#permalink]
I am just sending my applications to meet the second round deadline at Tulane University, Vanderbilt University, University of Florida, and Purdue University. I was wondering what people's opinions of my chances are because I'm considering going back to undergrad. I have a BA in English from the University of Miami, with a finance minor, although I took more finance courses than the minor required. I also took classes in accounting, economics, two calculus and one stats. GPA: 3.89 (magna degree), GMAT: 710. I just graduated and have no relevant work experience or internships.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MSF/MFin Fall 2010 Applicants Get In Here [#permalink]
Student 1258,

Not sure of your chances for Tulane and UF, but I think you have a great shot at Purdue. I would think your GMAT and GPA put you in a great position for Purdue and Vanderbilt, but since I haven't heard back from Vanderbilt yet I can't really comment on what I think your chances are. Since your major was English, they would probably want a good quantitative score on your GMAT (probably around 85th percentile or better).

Just out of curiosity, because I'm applying to similar schools, how would you rank the 4 programs you're applying to and why would you rank them that way?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: MS Finance
Schools:Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Student1258:

I would say that your chances are very good at Tulane and UF: >90%. But I would not recommend that you attend either school
Vandy and Purdue is a bit more questionable. For Vandy, your GMAT quant score will matter. Anything 47-48 or up will help. They care very much about your quant skills, so I would say that GMAT quant along with your scores in quant classes will determine your admission decision. Same goes for Purdue, but not as much. You should get in.

BLopez:

In order (adding WashU for you):

1. Vandy
2. WashU
3. Purdue (Just because it is still new, few alumni, could be better in future)
4. Florida
5. Tulane
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, MFinDreamer.

What do you think separates Vandy and WashU from the rest? The curriculum, placement, etc?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hey Everyone,

I am applying to the following programs:

1) MIT
2) Vandy
3) Washington U
4) Villanova

I had a phone interview with Vandy early in December and I just received an admissions call this past Friday (just like blopez.. VERY stoked about this one). I also had a phone interview with WashU on Friday. My question for everyone is between Vandy and WashU how would you choose? Right now I think I am leaning towards WashU bc I think it might be slightly more quant/programming oriented (I did engineering as an undergrad so I'm comfortable with that stuff). Of course this whole decision is dependent on me getting into WashU first, however, I know if I get an admissions invitation from Washington University I will have a very hard time decided between them and Vandy. Any thoughts? (blopez... if you have any info that could distinguish between WashU and Vandy please let me know...Thanks).

Also, just as blopez said, if anyone has any questions regarded the WashU or Vandy interviews feel free to ask me. I'd be more than happy to help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd52,

if you want a more quantitative program, I would say WashU would be great for you. While Vandy offers a few decent electives that cover asset pricing and stochastic processes, I think WashU's MSF is, overall, more geared towards quantitative finance. That being said, I don't think Vandy is very far behind.

I'll also have a very difficult time choosing between the two if I get into WashU. There are aspects about both programs that I like. I like the quantitative nature of WashU's program, and I feel like they have better job placement record. But I like the range of electives offered by Vandy (WashU's curriculum, while it has great looking courses, is fixed). Specifically, I like the financial economics courses offered (I also believe you can take electives in other departments if you get that approved by an advisor). I also think Vandy's program is better set up for later pursuit of a PhD (something I'm still considering for the future).

What do you think about Vandy?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think Vandy has a great program, definitely very quantitative (vandy has a great reputation for it's math programs as well). Overall Vandy is just an amazing school (top ranked in almost every undergrad and grad field for which it has a program). My only concern is job placement in the northeast (I am from NJ and would love to get a job in NYC or Philadelphia). I think Washington University places better in the Northeast and is slight more quant oriented (though, like you said, just barely and not much further ahead). To be completely honest, if someone made me flip a coin to decide between these two schools I'd be happy with either one. :-)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah a coin flip sounds like a good way to decide it. I'm an Oakland Raiders fan, and they play in Nashville against the Titans next year, so that might be the deciding factor ha ha.

Good luck with the rest of your applications. Perhaps we'll see each other either at Vandy or WashU (fingers crossed).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks. Good luck to you too. Definitely post here when you decide what school you will be attending. I'll do the same and maybe we will see each other this summer (keeping my fingers crossed too).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was scheduled for a phone interview with Vanderbilt, my first choice. Any advice on what to be ready for would be appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Student 1258: Be ready for the usual questions (i.e. Why Vanderbilt? Why Finance? Tell me about yourself.). In addition, Vandy uses behavioral interviewing questions for the MSF program. These are pretty standard questions you would find in most job interviews (questions like, "give me an example of time you worked in a group with this constraint" or "tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty to complete a task", etc.). You can find a whole list of questions like this if you google behavioral interviewing questions. Just prep for most of them and you'll be fine. My interview was 35 mins including questions so it'll be over before you know it. Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Student1258,

nbd52 pretty much hit the nail on the head. additionally, make sure you can discuss your career goals, both short-term and long-term. Overall, it was a pretty laid back interview. The interviewer was very friendly and not at all intimidating. The phone call is also great time to get an admissions employee to answer any questions you might have. Take advantage of that. Good luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I just got an email from Princeton inviting me for a telephone interview.. (MFin)
has anyone already taken interview for Princeton Mfin? can anyone help me with what sort of questions I should expect?
(do they ask technical questions?)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey wsh, I haven't seen anyone in this thread say they have applied to the Princeton MSF and get an interview, so congrats on that (getting an interview there is quite the accomplishment by itself). I have read a few other threads (older ones from ppl who were applying in 2008, I think the thread is titled 2008 MSF appicants or something like that). A poster by the name of bcbheel got into Princeton in 2008 and spoke a little about the interview he/she had. Search the forum and you should find something. Good luck!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey, here is the link for some discussion of the Princeton interview. https://gmatclub.com/forum/anyone-applyi ... 55238.html

Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats on getting to the interview stage, wshwang. unfortunately for me, i didn't have the math background to apply there. it looks like nbd52 already posted the discussion on the princeton interview so i won't bother. good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd52,

did vandy mention anything about financial aid on your admissions call? i know they don't give much, but i'm hoping they will include info on that in the admission package they mail to me. did you get your package yet?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts