Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GRE: 316
Concentration: Finance
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GRE: 316
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MSF Q&A [#permalink]
giantbug wrote:
Sashi095 wrote:
Hi,

I am from India. I am just trying to weigh UIUC and Olin's GMF. One will provide help me get a job in US while the other in Asia. I am kinda confused on how to decide on the college as both are equally moderate and the international student status. Is SMU worth taking the risk as it costs me USD15k extra compared to UIUC and I heard it is difficult to get work visa in Singapore too.

It's kinda hard because ASEAN citizens can work in Singapore without visa. Tons of Indonesians who studied in Singapore, US, or UK worked in Singapore (employers love to hire Indonesians as they're willing to receive lower salary and familiar with ASEAN market). Thus, it's hard to find employers who want to sponsor foreigners outside ASEAN.

So it is equally hard to get a visa in Singapore. Tough call to make. If it was you which one would you choose (in my shoes)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink]
Sashi095 wrote:
giantbug wrote:
Sashi095 wrote:
Hi,

I am from India. I am just trying to weigh UIUC and Olin's GMF. One will provide help me get a job in US while the other in Asia. I am kinda confused on how to decide on the college as both are equally moderate and the international student status. Is SMU worth taking the risk as it costs me USD15k extra compared to UIUC and I heard it is difficult to get work visa in Singapore too.

It's kinda hard because ASEAN citizens can work in Singapore without visa. Tons of Indonesians who studied in Singapore, US, or UK worked in Singapore (employers love to hire Indonesians as they're willing to receive lower salary and familiar with ASEAN market). Thus, it's hard to find employers who want to sponsor foreigners outside ASEAN.

So it is equally hard to get a visa in Singapore. Tough call to make. If it was you which one would you choose (in my shoes)?

Yup, tough call. But I think I'll choose based on which market I'm more familiar with (ASEAN or US) so I could nail the job interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
Send PM
Hi Anthony,

My name is Tunmise i'm 28 years old with about 4/5 years working experience majorly in commercial banking (relationship mgt.) and a bit in financial services (a couple of months in a boutique financial advisory firm). I’ve always wanted to do proper finance, but the working climate here is tough and i took whatever i could get.

Late last year i finally decided to go back to grad school so i’d be able to change career paths to finance and naturally i thought i’d get an MBA. However, someone advised me to go for an MSF and not an MBA (at least not yet) since a career in finance is my goal, i’d be taught core finance instead having to take on extra finance courses with an MBA. It made sense to me as i do want to deepen my knowledge in finance as i try to chart a career in it so i listened.

At this time (about the end of January 2015) only two (2) schools deadlines were possible to meet - WUSTL and Simon. I literally had two months to take the GRE and put 2 applications together. Long story short, i just got accepted into the corp fin MSF at WUSTL and i’m confident that i’d get an admitted into Simon as well. Either way i’d choose WUSTL as from your forums, it’s a better school.

But since reading forums on the website i’ve been having doubts about if i should have gone for an MBA instead. it’s been recommended here severally that anyone with 3 years+ experience should go in for the MBA and not MSF. Also i really want to work in the US after graduation and although the MSF or MBA does not guarantee employment, i fear that with my age and experience an MBA would have helped more.

I probably will go to WUSTL and i want to start shopping around for internships, but what are the chances of me getting work in the US with an MSF degree, 4/5 years work experience and a bit of “finance” work experience after graduation? and also what does an international student like me need to do to make that happen.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
What are the chances to secure an internship during the intense 1 year MSF program for an international student,will the universities allow students to do internships before the completion of the program?
thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello guys,

I need some help with my profile evaluation. I'm planning to apply for MSF programs offered by MIT, Vandy, Boston College and UT Austin. My brief profile:

GMAT: 740 (Q50, V40, AWA:6, IR:6)
Nationality: Indian
Work Exp.: 17 months with a leading domestic investment bank in India; Currently in US and unemployed
PG Degree: MBA (Non IIM) CGPA: 7.99 (on a scale of 10)
UG Degree: Bcom CGPA: 9.48 (on a scale of 10)

I wanted to know:
1 Whether I'll be eligible for the above programs with a previous MBA degree and a 3 year UG degree
2 I relocated to the US about a year ago and I'm unemployed since then. Will that be taken as a negative sign?
3 What are my chances of conversion?

Many thanks!
Sivaranjani
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5 
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts