Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Re: Question [#permalink]
Kudos
joroivanov wrote:
Spartanjoe,

Congratulations on your acceptance! There is one thing you said that I find particularly interesting - why is Villanova considered "close to Ivy League" in the East?

Your response will be appreciated!
Thank you,
G.I.
Villanova has been recognized by publications such as BusinessWeek as having one of the strongest undergraduate business schools (#13 in the country this year, up from 17 last year!) A lot of this is due to our eagerness to embrace technology; by one metric VU was ranked "most wired campus," I believe. Our finance lab & our studio managed funds course, in which we manage $200,000 of seed capital of alumni donated money in the stock market, set us apart from the competition.

I believe I may be the only VU alumn on this board. I'd be glad to answer any questions that anyone might have. Just PM me.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
As an educator I cannot really fault someone for seeking advanced education. However, I think I do see your professor's point. Your GPA suggests that you would be competitive for some of the top MBA programs with a few years of work experience. If you are interested in adding to your knowledge of finance, I suggest investigation the CFA program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: MSF Typical Student [#permalink]
MASTERNC wrote:
I have been accepted into the MSF program at Villanova University. I was very excited because of the curriculum and the short time period for completion.

However, one of my accounting professors, who I respect greatly, has tried to talk me out of the MSF program. His reason: because the program is so new, he feels that the students who are in the program are mainly there because they couldn't get jobs as undergraduates (the Masters degree would give them a reason to be hired) and not because they want to enrich their knowledge (as is my motivation) for later on in their careers. His advice was to work and then get into a top-tier MBA program at company expense. He also thinks I'm crazy if I pay for my schooling without some type of assistantship.

Although he is not a finance professor, he says he noticed a similar pattern in the Masters of Accountancy program.

I am an undergrad with a 3.9 GPA majoring in Finance (I did not have to take the GMAT because of my high GPA). I had some leads for jobs but I did not have much luck as far as the jobs I really wanted (I am looking at investment management). Some recruiters, when I mentioned the program, knew little about the degree. However, upon hearing about the topics covered, thought it would be beneficial and even said I would be "overqualified" for some of the positions offered to undergraduates.

I know some of the professors and have sat in one of the MSF classes and like what I see. However, my accounting professor has me worried. Am I the wrong kind of student for this program?

Just wondering if you ended up accepting the MSF at Villanova. I am more interested in the rationale behind your decision as my brother who is planning to go to Florida for their finance program is going through the same dilemma.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
MASTERNC wrote:
I did decide to enroll. The main reason is that I have been in classes with one of the MSF professors and have sat in on a few of the MSF classes. While I have seen some students who seem to fit the bill that my accounting prof described, other ones seem more poised with their knowledge. In fact, there's a broker who's in his 40s who is in the program right now. The stuff covered in that class is pretty in-depth and theoretical. Given the good facilities and professors, I'm going to stick with it.

I've also been told by the Admissions staff and this one professor that there have been a ton of good applicants this year so it seems that more individuals are interested and that the pool is more competitive.

Awesome! Good luck with it and best of luck with the job search if and when you embark on it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your professor is partly right, but I also think its dumb to say what he did. I think a lot of people want to get an MSF because if you want to break into the tough areas of finance, having a good GPA from a good school with a impressive major wont even get you into the door. As you have found out, and so do many others.

So the whole point is to get yourself that degree and stand out. He is right that perhaps those that want to be more competitive get the degree. But its dumb to say that you shouldn't get it if you aren't there to be academically "enriched". We are all doing what we do because we have an interest in it, and/or we want to excel in the field. Being overqualified for the jobs offered might be a generalization, I think MSFs can land non-entry level jobs. Especially if you might have a year or two of work experience.

MSF isn't only for those who want to go on to become a professor, thats a stupid idea. Especially with the amount of people going for the MBA, a MSF degree might increase in value in years to come. However, I still think its a worthy degree today.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Villanova MSF [#permalink]
I was accepted into the MSF program at Villanova and plan on attending. I think it would be beneficial to get to know people and possibly network before classes actually begin.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Question [#permalink]
Spartanjoe,

Congratulations on your acceptance! There is one thing you said that I find particularly interesting - why is Villanova considered "close to Ivy League" in the East?

Thank you,
G.I.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations on your acceptance into the program! I just graduated from Villanova as an undergrad (BA, Economics). One of my buddies who graduated in my class will be doing the MSF program at VU. Be sure to keep us posted on you experiences.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Warwick
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
sludge wrote:
joroivanov wrote:
Spartanjoe,

Thank you,
G.I.
Villanova has been recognized by publications such as BusinessWeek as having one of the strongest undergraduate business schools (#13 in the country this year, up from 17 last year!) A lot of this is due to our eagerness to embrace technology; by one metric VU was ranked "most wired campus," I believe. Our finance lab & our studio managed funds course, in which we manage $200,000 of seed capital of alumni donated money in the stock market, set us apart from the competition.

I believe I may be the only VU alumn on this board. I'd be glad to answer any questions that anyone might have. Just PM me.

If this helps or not, but as an asian who has had his under grad degree from uk at a top business school, I have never heard of the Villanova as a business school. Thus I doub't it has any international reputation or is world-renowned, but I don't deny that it must be well known in the US
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts