GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My journey from 610 to 700 (V40) with EmpowerGMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
My journey from 610 to 700 (V40) with EmpowerGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 11:43
The short version is this:

-700+ scores are possible for anyone, but not everyone
-Choose study resources that work best for you: EmpowerGMAT for Americans and E-GMAT for international students
-Learn the material AND the test
-Don’t overemphasize the importance of the GMAT
-Be kind to friends, family, and customer service representatives who are supporting you through your journey

Long version:

Manhattan GMAT (Rating - 2/10):
I started studying for this exam about nine months ago, but I wasn't serious about my preparation. I read through the Manhattan GMAT books…all of them. It was one thousand pages of torture. The books may have all of the content, but they do not do a good job of preparing you for the exam. These books took up about four months of my prep and got me a whopping 610. I found out how unprepared I was when I bought the Official Guide (OG) books and had tremendous difficulty working through even the easy problems.

Magoosh (Rating - 7/10):
I had to address the underlying issue: I didn't understand the material. Before you sign up for a program looking for a one month fix to your problems, realize that you must understand the math concepts and be fluent in AMERICAN English to succeed on this test. I was able to re-learn these topics through a very reasonable priced membership with Magoosh. They have a good interface to test you on the topics in a similar format to the GMAT and the team there has done a fantastic job creating both a large question bank and videos unique to each question to walk you through the interpretation of the question and elimination of the answers. They also have a very accurate tool that indicates how you will perform in each section. Magoosh is a great resource for questions outside of the OG books. My only complaint is that they have automated responses for a lot of your questions, both on the site and through customer service. The answers they give are thorough and helpful, but it feels like they don’t treat you like a unique customer. You feel like a number.

EmpowerGMAT (Rating - 10/10):
I could talk for hours about how much this service helped me, but most of the reviews have already touched on the powerful math modules and “Attack the GMAT” approach. What I would like to highlight is the outstanding customer service and fantastic verbal modules. I’m not a good test taker. I can perform well under pressure, but this test is heavily weighted on performance. Throughout the course you will learn best practices for how to actually take the test, beyond learning the material. That being said, EmpowerGMAT will give you the knowledge and tools necessary to overcome each and every question. The verbal modules are underrated with this service. I feel that my grammar and understanding of writing has improved ten-fold as a result of this course. This is something that will help me for the rest of my life. EmpowerGMAT uses real questions from the OG books (you will need to have access to them to complete this course) and gives you very frank advice on when to power through a question and when to dump it and move on. If you are ever curious about their approach or in need of extra help, contact them. Their customer support staff is extremely helpful and every email feels like it was written just for you. Where else can you talk directly to the founder of the company and have them to you respond within the hour? This course is worth every penny!

Final thoughts:
The GMAT is incredibly important in your MBA journey. It will dictate where you get into school, if you qualify for scholarships, and even where you get your summer internship. This test is a great way to balance out other aspects of your application, but it is only one component of your application. Start studying as soon as possible so that you can get this test out of the way well in advance of the first round. Although I personally recommend Magoosh and EmpowerGMAT, I have also participated in the E-GMAT webinars. They are a fantastic resource for international students when it comes to the verbal section. I did not sign up for E-GMAT because it wasn't the right service for me, but they are definitely a great alternative to EmpowerGMAT for international students.

This is a stressful time for a lot of prospective MBAs, but be kind to the people in your life who are supporting you through this process. This is not an intuitive test, you’re not supposed to walk in off the street and get an 800. Part of the test is how you overcome it. Even walking away at 700, I feel that I could score higher if I just kept at it. That’s part of the reason that I am writing this: to help other people understand that you CAN get a 750 if you just keep at it. Hard work and determination are necessary to succeed, both in this test and in your future careers. When you feel like quitting, just remember why you are doing this. Your hard work WILL pay off!
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: My journey from 610 to 700 (V40) with EmpowerGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 13:08
Hi VerbalScholar40,

First off, that's OUTSTANDING news! Raising a 610 to a 700 is a fantastic achievement - and you can now comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. You bring up a really good point about how your GMAT Score relates to earning a Scholarship, so the next logical question is how you might put yourself in the best position to receive a Scholarship.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Congrats on all of your success so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 17:28
Rich,

The GMAT hit me hard, I was planning to study for the summer and apply second round. I realized that between my humanities degree and non-traditional background I had to prove myself on the GMAT. While the GMAT is only one part of the application, it is also the number one reason why applications will get rejected. I plan on applying third round, but my scores last for five years, so I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

My schools are Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, and Ross. I did a lot of research into all of those programs and I believe they will help me the most in my pursuit of becoming an entrepreneur in the environmental sector.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 12:40
Hi VerbalScholar40,

You've named some highly-competitive Schools and applying during the 3rd Round can be a bit more challenging than applying for one of the earlier Rounds. This is meant to say that you might want to work with an Admissions Expert on your applications. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 21:51
Rich,

That is a great resource for admission help, thank you for providing that link! I chose Maria and her ApplicanLab based on a webinar from E-GMAT. She completed the Harvard MBA program and came back to help other applicants through the process. I feel that her program has outlined a roadmap of the application process for me. I know I am going against the odds with a third-round application, but the extra time (and EmpowerGMAT’s course) has allowed me to present a stronger application to the AdCom. Only time will tell if I can get in with Maria’s help. ?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 13:51
Hi VerbalScholar40,

Properly applying to any highly-competitive School (and receiving an invite to attend) can be a challenge - since those Schools receive so many applications from highly-qualified applicants. That having been said, you've made smart choices throughout this process, so I suspect that you put yourself in the strongest possible position to apply. We're excited to hear how all of this ends up!

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: My journey from 610 to 700 (V40) with EmpowerGMAT &nbs [#permalink] 11 Feb 2018, 13:51

My journey from 610 to 700 (V40) with EmpowerGMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap