Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
School Moderator - WHU Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Schools: HEC MiM "24
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16602 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Need guidance, scored 590 Q47 V25 in second attempt Target score 700. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi gmat108,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than 590. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

how to score a 700+ on the GMAT

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Need guidance, scored 590 Q47 V25 in second attempt Target score 700. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi gmat108,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) On what dates did you take your 2 Official GMATs and how did you score on your 1st attempt?
2) How long did you study before each attempt? Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your 2nd GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Arpit,

Based on the information that you've provided so far, you certainly appear to have been improving over the last 3 months. Your self-assessment of your Test Day performance doesn't quite match-up with the data in your ESR though; it appears that you 'rushed' through the 'first half' of the Quant section AND the 'first quarter' of the Verbal section - so there were likely other factors impacting your performance on Test Day besides a couple of Quant questions that you had to reread.

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
gmat108 wrote:
Hello Gmatclub members and moderators,

I've been preparing for gmat for about a year and a half and I have dedicated last 4 months for intense preparation after I left my job only to find myself with a score of 590. Though I'm reasonably good with the quants but I've scored only q 47, I don't know what went wrong in test. My scores for quant from several mocks, official mock gmat1 q49, official mock gmat2 q50, manhattan test1 q48, veritas free mock q49, gmatclub free mock q49. My quant score was always in the range of 49-50.

For the verbal part, The score was always inconsistent, but in the last few mocks I was able to get in the range of 34-35, Manhattan mock1 V34, gmat club mock V 34, Kaplan mock1 V33, official gmat mock1 V 28, official mock2 V 27.

The resources I have used in the preparation: Empower gmat course, official guide 2020, manhattan guides for sc, cr and rc, gmat ninja videos for the verbal section, and I have practiced tons of official questions from gmatclub forum, with the accuracy of 90% in 500-600 level questions, 70% accuracy in 600-650 level question and 50-55% accuracy in 650-700 level questions.

As I am planning to retake the test in 20-25 days, Please help me with the strategy to improve my verbal score from 25 to V 36-38 range and quant score from q47 to q49-50 range.

Thank you in advance.

Hey gmat 108,

Given your preparation and the number of Mock tests that you have taken from elsewhere , we feel that for starters you should take mock tests from MBA. com itself . Since you only took the first 2 , take the remaining 4. Focus more on strategy rather than blindly trying to answer the questions. Smartly decide which question to solve and which to let go. Keep a track of your time and try to let go off the questions that you feel are troubling you. Learn to Skip. After you take the test, do in-depth analyses of the test - Understand the pattern of your mistakes - check whether they are conceptual mistakes or just silly mistakes - Create a log sheet to record everything. Subsequently work on the concepts and build an approach to avoid silly mistakes. Practice more and more questions from the official guides and MBA. com.

Hope that helps you.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmat108 wrote:
Hello Scott,
During the official test I was bit too anxious and was not able to concentrate on first few questions in quant and had to read the questions 2-3 times just to get to know, what question is asking. In the start I surely overspent the time, which I had to compensate in the later questions in quants.
For the Verbal part same thing happened again, I was not able to focus on the questions, but somehow managed to finish the verbal part with skipping one entire passage that seemed too difficult to comprehend.
I guess there are few weak sections in verbal which I need to go over again and hopefully I won't be this anxious next time.

Thank you.

I understand. Given that anxiety seems to be an issue, here is a helpful article that you can check out:

How to Eliminate GMAT Test-Day Anxiety

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.
School Moderator - WHU Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Schools: HEC MiM "24
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Thank you Punit for your suggestions and analysis, I will attempt the methodology of giving the mocks in coming 20 days and analyzing them with best of my abilities.
Thank you.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
I think that you should break your tests into SC-RC-CR to see where should you improve!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [1]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM