Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:25 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [2]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Need guidance to improve Verbal section score from V20 to V40 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi mschandra,

A V40 is right around the 90th percentile in the Verbal section. To score at (or close to) that level, you'll need to put in a significant amount of work. Beyond learning the content and logic, you will also have to learn the patterns, the common wrong answers, the tactics and the little 'secrets' to how the Verbal section is designed. Given your first GMAT score, you're not likely to improve to this level on your own by May. Thus, investing in some new GMAT resources is a must.

The good news is that the Verbal section of the GMAT is as predictable and standardized as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

I'd like to know a bit more about how you studied:

1) How long did you study?
2) What resources did you use during your studies?
3) On Test Day, did you have a pacing problem in the Verbal section? Did you have to rush (and guess on a bunch of questions) just to finish? Did you leave any Verbal questions unanswered?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I studied for almost 3 months. At Starting, i faced difficulty in CR and RC, but now i feel that i am OK in CR. I used OG REVIEW, OG VERBAL, TIME institute material and some questions in 1000SC, 1000CR and Manhattan Review Verbal book. But i did not complete OG verbal book completely. On test day i felt like i am doing good, but i had to rush and guess on last 5 questions.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64963 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mschandra wrote:
Hi,

I left the job to prepare for the GMAT exam. I took GMAT on Jan 9th 2015 and scored Q50/V20 and 6points in IR section. I got final score as 540. Now, i do not understand how to improve score in verbal section. I think that i am facing difficulty in RC. I am thinking whether to join some company or continue preparation. While i am preparing for GMAT, i am getting disappointed for my previous score and having no job right now. I need some guidance to overcome this and concentrate more on verbal section to crack atleast V37. I am planning to take the exam in May 2015.

Please help me.

First of all, your Quant is brilliant so good job there. Of course, ensure that you maintain it so keep practicing a few high level questions every day. Also, go through some discussions on holistic/advanced methods of solving questions which save you time and are intellectually more rewarding. It might just get you the coveted Q51. I discuss many such methods on my blog. Here is an interesting post from my blog:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2015/01 ... questions/

Your IR is also above average so no problems over there either. Again, ensure that you maintain the score.

Here is my advice for you on Verbal:

1. You must go through the complete Verbal material of some test prep company. It will discuss how to identify the various types of questions, what to look for in each question type, what kind of option to look for etc. You will get such detailed information for both RC and CR. For SC, it will be important for you to be comfortable with the most common errors on which GMAT likes to test you. You will also need to work on how SC is reasoning based.
Here are some posts from our blog. They will give you an idea of what I mean:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2015/02 ... orrection/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/05 ... reasoning/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/11 ... s-part-ii/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/08 ... -the-gmat/
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mschandra,

It appears that much of your Verbal preparation was book-based, which is likely a significant part of your problem. Many Test Takers who use a 'book-heavy' study approach get "stuck" at a particular scoring level. Books can only teach you so much about the Verbal section and NO book can properly prepare you for the physical aspect of facing the Verbal section on Test Day.

As such, you'll likely need to invest in some new computer-based GMAT resources. Beyond training with some new practice questions, you need to also learn the proper Verbal tactics and patterns that show up every time you take the GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Expert Reply
mschandra wrote:
Hi,

I left the job to prepare for the GMAT exam. I took GMAT on Jan 9th 2015 and scored Q50/V20 and 6points in IR section. I got final score as 540. Now, i do not understand how to improve score in verbal section. I think that i am facing difficulty in RC. I am thinking whether to join some company or continue preparation. While i am preparing for GMAT, i am getting disappointed for my previous score and having no job right now. I need some guidance to overcome this and concentrate more on verbal section to crack atleast V37. I am planning to take the exam in May 2015.

Please help me.

Hi Mschandra,

Have you properly debriefed after taking the practice exams? If so, you'll get a good idea of the type of questions you're struggling with and whether RC really is what you're tripping over. Let us know how you've debrief and which questions have continued to trouble you. This will help us provide more specific tips on improving your verbal score.

With regards to RC, be sure to be an active reader rather than a passive reader (reading simply to absorb the information). While reading RC passages, be sure to take notes and keep your eye out for the following:

What is the main idea of this passage?
What is the author's position and tone (neutral? critical? etc.)?
What is the structure of the argument (e.g. two opposing sides vs. one sided, informational vs. author's opinion)?

Also, read as much as you can. Reading op-ed pieces in the NY Times or articles in the Economist will help.

Hope this helps for now. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Jessica
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
You should sign up for a verbal course to reach your goal. there are some course options such as e-gmat or optimus prep that guarantee a score improvement!

Please contact our support if you have any questions regarding our course or a free and non-committal trial account
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
You should sign up for a verbal course to reach your goal. there are some course options such as e-gmat or optimus prep that guarantee a score improvement!

Please contact our support if you have any questions regarding our course or a free and non-committal trial account
GMAT Club Bot