GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 11:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need some advice on how to proceed in my GMAT journey

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V39
Need some advice on how to proceed in my GMAT journey  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 12:23
Hi all,

I just completed by 3rd official GMAT and I did worse (660) than I had done previously (680). I feel as though it could be due to stress and the timing of the test. This time, I took the test at 8 AM, vs 11 AM for the previous attempts. I know I was super nervous that I would score lower than my previous score and that actually ended up happening.
I am wondering how to proceed with my journey. I have done the Kaplan course and the Veritas course, both of which I believe helped me improve from my original place. But I am not yet where I need to be in order to get into top schools. I am aiming for AT LEAST a 720.
I have 3 years of work experience, so I am a pretty young candidate. I want to get a good score so I can stand out against the more experienced candidates.
This time around, I feel as though I was asked questions in the quant section that were all super time consuming and similar. I got a bunch of questions similar to: If A and B cost the same, and A was sold at 20% higher than B, and B was sold at a 10% of what is cost, what is the cost? (this is just an example, not real question). I even got one of the questions I did not know how to answer twice, just stated differently. Could this be an issue with the software? I never experienced something like this during a previous test.
I ended up cancelling my score since it's not as high as my previous one.
I am kind of at a loss right now on how to continue. All of my practice test scores have been 700+ so I was confident that I would finally break the barrier into the 700s. Unfortunately, that did not happen.

I want to take the GMAT again, but that would be my last try. If I do not get better than a 680, that would be my highest score.
So I guess I have 2 questions:
1. How do I improve to get my target score?
2. What can I do with a 680 when it comes to MBA programs?

I know the easy answer to #1 is to practice more efficiently, etc but I felt as though I have! I've been practicing every day in my problem areas and reviewing all my mistakes. I was so sure I would get the score I want, but was not able to reach it. Are there any prep materials that help with getting over the hump? I feel as though I have a good grasp of concepts, but need to work on my math timing/accuracy specifically. I also feel as though this last test's quant section was pure BS due to how repetitive it was.

Please let me know if anyone has advice, I'm super bummed out right now.

Thanks,
Tanusree
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need some advice on how to proceed in my GMAT journey  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 16:31
Hi Tanusree,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. Back in December, we discussed how similar your first 2 GMAT Score results were - and since this 3rd attempt is 'between' the Scores from your first 2 attempts, it's likely that you continue to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in the same ways as before. You've been performing at this general level for at least the last 6 months, so it's possible that you've gotten 'stuck.' You're actually closer to a 720+ than you probably realize, but you're going to have to make some fundamental changes to how you handle the Quant and Verbal sections - and hone some specific skills - before you'll be able to consistently score at that level on the Official GMAT.

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this recent attempt?
2) Other than the earlier appointment time, did you purposely change any other aspects of Test Day itself (from the moment you went to bed the night before right up to the point that you answered the final question)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V39

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 12:06
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tanusree,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. Back in December, we discussed how similar your first 2 GMAT Score results were - and since this 3rd attempt is 'between' the Scores from your first 2 attempts, it's likely that you continue to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in the same ways as before. You've been performing at this general level for at least the last 6 months, so it's possible that you've gotten 'stuck.' You're actually closer to a 720+ than you probably realize, but you're going to have to make some fundamental changes to how you handle the Quant and Verbal sections - and hone some specific skills - before you'll be able to consistently score at that level on the Official GMAT.

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this recent attempt?
2) Other than the earlier appointment time, did you purposely change any other aspects of Test Day itself (from the moment you went to bed the night before right up to the point that you answered the final question)?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have attached my ESR for this time. Looks like my DS for quant was terrible during this last attempt.
As for things I did differently, I think I was more stressed out than I was the previous time. So that could have had something to do with my performance. Also, for the final break, the attendees took forever to check me back in so I lost some time on the IR section.
Attachments

ESR03212019.pdf [604.49 KiB]
Downloaded 5 times

To download please login or register as a user

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 15:36
Hi Tanusree,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of this ESR and some additional notes and questions.

Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need some advice on how to proceed in my GMAT journey   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2019, 15:36

Need some advice on how to proceed in my GMAT journey

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap