Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 12:31 It is currently 03 May 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
CTO
CTO
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Need your help with member profiles [#permalink]
haha, just gave you a kudos for your great work river ;)

Right now it looks like mods can only give 1 kudo per hour like any member. Did we want to let Mods be able to give more (for great posts or contributions like essays, profiles, wikis)? Or do we want to only allow members to give kudos every day or week and let mods give every hour? Just want to avoid abuse of two members giving each other kudos every hour to get access to stuff without any contribution.

Tino?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
why not limit kudos to just mods. Look at the threads I would say at least a few mods follow pretty much every single one so chances are not many excellent posts will be missed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
that was my original idea, have only the mods give kudos, especially since we have a LOT of mods on these forums.

One forum I've seen uses this very complicated method of allowing people with more Kudos be able to influence your kudos more. For example, if you have 100 kudos and you're not a mod, you can give 1 kudo to a person, whereas someone who has 0 kudos only gives 1/100th of a kudo to someone. something like that. Might be way too complicated, so I would lean towards mod given kudos only to simplify things, unless tino wants to implement the more complicated ones (mods have the most kudos influence, followed by people with high kudos, and so forth).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
I second this idea. kudo-seekers can always create an alternate user ID and give themselves lots of kudos. :idea:

Restrict the kudo-ability to mods for now and extend it to others gradually.

riverripper wrote:
why not limit kudos to just mods. Look at the threads I would say at least a few mods follow pretty much every single one so chances are not many excellent posts will be missed.
CTO
CTO
Send PM
Dear mods, thanks for the feedback.

Here is a link with documentation on the board features that might help answer some questions which I cannot answer:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

riverripper, you may manage the Trusted Members group. Go to User Control Panel > Options > Usergroups > Manage Groups > Trusted Members > Manage Users. You should be able to add/remove users and to approve join requests. Tell me if there are problems.

kryzak, can the mods edit user profiles? I am not sure if this is so. But if yes, editing the profile gives the ability to set Kudos score directly. I will make a much more convenient button for mods today, to appear instead of +1. You would be able to increase/decrease Kudos without limits.

ncprasad, concerning Kudos spoofing, I do not think anyone would care to do that, especially if the access threshold is sufficiently high. Kudos are cheaper than post counts. I was thinking to make access thresholds in the range of 500-1000. You would need 1000 profiles or 1000 hours or a mix of the two, and such activity will not go unnoticed. We can ban spoofers.

Limiting Kudos to just mods - I am slightly opposed to that because I think the ability to give Kudos (even if it is just one) is nice for members - makes them feel their opinion matters. It does not limit the power of mods who can always give +1000 or -1000 - and voila.

But as to limiting the powers of newly registered users - how about limiting the +1 Kudos-giving ability to people with 50+ Kudos? I have seen that on some forums.

kryzak, about complicated systems - I am slightly opposed to that as well, because it is so much easier to explain something that follows a Keep It Simple Stupid design. It is a possibility, though.

Having an economics background, I would of course suggest that giving +1 Kudos should decrease Kudos of the giver by 1. Let only the Central KudoBank have the ability to issue new Kudos. That is the ultimate way to curb Kudos inflation! But I presume this is an outrageous idea.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
tino, thank *you* for all your hard work and prompt responses! We couldn't have asked for a better CTO! :)

thanks for the link! I'll have to read it sometime.

I think we all can do trusted member group by just looking at someone's profile. At least I see a pull down menu where I can change someone from a "regular member" to "trusted member". But that's all I can do in terms of modifying user profiles. Thus, the special button for mods to give unlimited kudos will help.

I agree with a high enough kudos limit, plus the ability to limit kudos giving ability to only those with 50+ kudos already will be good enough to prevent spoofing. I also do agree that it increases morale to let everyone (with 50+ kudos) to give kudos to each other in support.

I'm also opposed to the complicated system, since *I* still don't understand how it works on the forums I've seen them on. So KISS is good :P

hrm... interesting kudos "bank" idea. I actually like it. Maybe if the mods give out kudos (the bank issuing money) and people can "trade" it with each other by giving it to others they believe deserve them more... hrm.. that could work.
CTO
CTO
Send PM
Thanks.. Let's move the Kudos discussions to 5-t57971 until this thread becomes the longest one in the forum.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
alright tino, temporary lock on this thread to redirect people to the Kudos topic. Will redirect people back here to see the history. PM me if you want to post something related to member profiles and I'll unlock it then. :) and NOT A WORD from you, river! :P
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2