Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 09:50 It is currently 08 May 2024, 09:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73110 [1]
Given Kudos: 18936
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GRE 1: Q168 V159
Send PM
Re: How to Negotiate a Scholarship [#permalink]
How do we navigate negotiation without a competing offer?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73110 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ativas wrote:
How do we navigate negotiation without a competing offer?

That’s a tough one. You can see my suggestions in the first post.

Competing offer is the best thing. Otherwise you are kind of fishing… and this late in the season it is hard time to be finishing for money. One option is to ask for TA or fellowships and explain why you need it as opposed to “I don’t want to pay”

It depends on how much you are looking for. Larger amount is going to be hard, and only luck.

Smaller amounts are possible, again they are outlined in the post (eg short a bit of money)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Thank you so much for these advises.
I am wondering if there are scholarships opportunities for the MIT Sloan Fellows MBA program? It seems to me that all the admitted applicants don’t have a scholarship.
Thank you 🙏🏾

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73110 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tantine wrote:
I am wondering if there are scholarships opportunities for the MIT Sloan Fellows MBA program? It seems to me that all the admitted applicants don’t have a scholarship.
Thank you 🙏🏾

Congratulations on the admit. I can’t really comment the whole lot about budgets since those vary from year to year and I can see schools sometimes increasing their budgets and sometimes decreasing them.

Scholarships are away for schools to basically retain a student they would not otherwise be able to attract. They’re not giving them away just because they’re nice. I mean they are nice but that’s not why they giving scholarships :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Tantine wrote:
Thank you 🙏🏾

Congratulations on the admit. I can’t really comment the whole lot about budgets since those vary from year to year and I can see schools sometimes increasing their budgets and sometimes decreasing them.

Scholarships are away for schools to basically retain a student they would not otherwise be able to attract. They’re not giving them away just because they’re nice. I mean they are nice but that’s not why they giving scholarships :-)

Thank you so much. I understand your point. I applied for the SFMBA R2 and am still waiting for an interview. In the meanwhile, I am searching for scholarship opportunities, as the program is very expensive and targets experienced leaders. The possibilities seem narrow compared to a classic 2-year FT MBA.
I am wondering if they are MIT Sloan Fellows who secured a funding upon their admission.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Oh. Thank you for clarifying.
Scholarships for programs such as Sloan fellows as well as fully employed or executive programs are very rare.

There’s a little Budget because the assumption is that you are a seasoned professional as opposed to a recent graduate. The executive programs and fully employed programs, also assume you have a job so they don’t need to give you a scholarship since you have income.

I think your best bet a scholarship would be to get an admission to Stanford and try to leverage that but it won’t go very far 😢

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok thanks a lot for your feedback.
I was not going to apply for the GSB MSx program as I think that the SFMBA perfectly aligns with my goals…Its curriculum also seems more adapted to a senior executive than the MSx’s…

bb wrote:
Scholarships for programs such as Sloan fellows as well as fully employed or executive programs are very rare.

There’s a little Budget because the assumption is that you are a seasoned professional as opposed to a recent graduate. The executive programs and fully employed programs, also assume you have a job so they don’t need to give you a scholarship since you have income.

I think your best bet a scholarship would be to get an admission to Stanford and try to leverage that but it won’t go very far 😢

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
­Hi,

With whom should I negotiate about scholarships and awards?
the admissions office? the person who interviewed me? others? 

​​​​​​​thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
How to Negotiate a Scholarship [#permalink]
Expert Reply

miko2010 wrote:
­Hi,

With whom should I negotiate about scholarships and awards?
the admissions office? the person who interviewed me? others? 

thanks

­Hi, miko2010

From what I know, at most schools, the Admissions Office awards merit scholarships to help recruit top talent, and the Financial Aid Office awards all need-based financial aid. So make sure to contact the appropriate office. If you get a merit scholarship but also have need-based aid, you can then loop both offices into the negotiation process.

In a special scenario, you can ask a member of the AdCom only If you have befriended that person to see if they can check for you instead of going directly to the Director of financial aid. This only works in very few cases, but it is definitely one of the most effective ways to secure a scholarship and increase your chances!

I hope this helps! :) 

Cheers!
Abhyank
Founder & CEO 
BOOK A FREE CALL
MBA and Masters Admissions Consulting

Customer Reviews|Profile Evaluation|School Explorer
Contact us: +91-8448224865  ­­­­­­­­­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi bb
Thank a lot for your advice.
I have got a scholarship from Sloan for the SFMBA. I know the possibilities are very limited for those programs so I feel lucky. But I would like to negotiate the amount.
Could an admission from Wharton EMBA help?

bb wrote:

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tantine wrote:
Hi bb
Thank a lot for your advice.
I have got a scholarship from Sloan for the SFMBA. I know the possibilities are very limited for those programs so I feel lucky. But I would like to negotiate the amount.
Could an admission from Wharton EMBA help?

bb wrote:

It’s much easier to negotiate when you have some thing can negotiate with so depending on your scholarship amount, bringing in an admissions from Wharton, may bump up the amount but if an average person would choose Sloan with a scholarship, the chances are not great. However, there’s no downside to asking so make sure you make the best and most powerful request. It’s kinda like a one shot deal.

PS. Let me know if you succeed or not. I always appreciate real stories and feedback 👍
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts