Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 20:37 It is currently 17 May 2024, 20:37
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Apr 2024
Posts: 8
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37448
Own Kudos [?]: 73246 [0]
Given Kudos: 18981
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Apr 2024
Posts: 8
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37448
Own Kudos [?]: 73246 [0]
Given Kudos: 18981
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sure. Let’s see if @bunuel or @chetan2u have ideas
Intern
Intern
Joined: 17 Sep 2023
Posts: 47
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Location: India
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
remainders-144665.html example 8 is similar and uses binomial distribution
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Posts: 12
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
We can use Fermat’s Theorem here which says
Rem [a^(p-1)/p] = 1 where p is a prime number
=> Rem [2^88/89] = 1
=> Rem [2^89/89] = Rem [2^88/89] * Rem [2/89] = 1*2 = 2

This is what I found online
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37448
Own Kudos [?]: 73246 [0]
Given Kudos: 18981
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Arungmat612 wrote:
We can use Fermat’s Theorem here which says Rem [a^(p-1)/p] = 1 where p is a prime number => Rem [2^88/89] = 1 => Rem [2^89/89] = Rem [2^88/89] * Rem [2/89] = 1*2 = 2

Nice! I don’t think This is tested on the GMAT. You don’t have to know this.
RC & DI Moderator
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Status:Math and DI Expert
Posts: 11264
Own Kudos [?]: 32571 [0]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
I have a feeling there is a quirky formula or solution to this question but I don’t know if this is tested on the GMAT….

Bunuel chetan2u - is this a gmat concept question?


bb,
There are various formulas when it comes to remainder:, Fermat’s remainder theorem, Chinese remainder theorem. Luckily, GMAT doesn’t test them.

Having said that, I believe remainder questions can almost always be solved with pattern. If a question can be answered through a formula, I am sure it must be following some pattern.

Here too it should be the case:
2^1:2,
2^2: 4,
2^3: 8,
2^4: 16,
2^5: 32,
2^6: 64,
2^7: 128 or 128-89 or 39,
2^8: 39*2 or 78
2^9: 78*2-89 or 156-89 or 67
2^10: 67*2-89 or 134-89 or 45
2^11: 45*2 or 90-89 or 1
2^12: 1*2 or 2
So, we are repeating the remainders now and there are 11 different remainders in a pattern.
89=11*8+1
So, 2^89 will have same remainder as 2^1 or 2.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93334
Own Kudos [?]: 624552 [0]
Given Kudos: 81898
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
I have a feeling there is a quirky formula or solution to this question but I don’t know if this is tested on the GMAT….

Bunuel chetan2u - is this a gmat concept question?

­
Yes, the question is out of scope for the GMAT. You can solve it either by binomial expansion or using Fermat's Little Theorem (if p is a prime number, then for any integer a, a^p – a will be a multiple of p). Since 89 is prime, then 2^89 - 2 is a multiple of 89. Thus, 2^89 is 2 more than a multiple of 89, making the remainder equal to 2.

Having said that, you absolutely don't need this for the GMAT and you can ignore the above altogether.
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Apr 2024
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
has anyone opted for gmat intensive classes by Anish and CJ
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Apr 2024
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Are we expecting any new questions if the New GMAT focus prep comes up next month?
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 09 Apr 2024
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Location: India
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Hey, does anyone have the detailed syllabus for GMAT FE?
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Apr 2024
Posts: 5
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Location: India
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
stuts007 wrote:
Hey, does anyone have the detailed syllabus for GMAT FE?

Ya..I have

Which will be better gmat or gre if you are not good in quants??
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Apr 2024
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Location: Azerbaijan
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
I prepped for the GMAT until now (Verbal going very well, Quant not so much, Data sufficiency going very well) -- Are skills transferrable for the GRE or would it require an entirely new practice?
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Apr 2024
Posts: 5
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Hello can someone suggest which book is good for quants and data insights? Jamboree or Kalpan? Or there is some other book?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Feb 2024
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Location: India
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Hi, does anyone know if Manhattan prep offers their own free GMAT practice test or do they just redirect you to mba.com ?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Jun 2021
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Location: India
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Hi Everyone, anyone have rough plan to Prepare for GMAT FE in 3 months
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Feb 2024
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
Hi all. I’ve been studying for the GMAT Focus Edition for a couple of months now and feel as though I’m running out of material to assess my understanding. I have seen varying reviews about non-official sources and want to make sure the material I am using for the exam is as like for like as possible to the real exam. I’ve been using the GMAT Focus Edition Official guides, the GMAT Club Mock and the GMAT Focus Edition Official Mocks, I’m coming to my last 2 final Official Focus Editions Mocks. Could anyone advise any other material that would be good to use? I’d preferably like to save my official mock exams till when I’m ready for the exam to give a true reflection of my understanding and where I am it before sitting the exam. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Nov 2023
Posts: 7
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
SryN1998 wrote:
Hi all. I’ve been studying for the GMAT Focus Edition for a couple of months now and feel as though I’m running out of material to assess my understanding. I have seen varying reviews about non-official sources and want to make sure the material I am using for the exam is as like for like as possible to the real exam. I’ve been using the GMAT Focus Edition Official guides, the GMAT Club Mock and the GMAT Focus Edition Official Mocks, I’m coming to my last 2 final Official Focus Editions Mocks. Could anyone advise any other material that would be good to use? I’d preferably like to save my official mock exams till when I’m ready for the exam to give a true reflection of my understanding and where I am it before sitting the exam. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, even I am using the exact same resources for my prep. Plus forum quiz on the gmat Club. It has a vast pool of Official questions that can be taken in the form of quiz. Hope this helps!

Just out of curiosity.. wat are ur official mock scores like?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Feb 2024
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
I started off with a 635 on a mock Hult exam, then on the official mock exams I’ve had the following: 665, 715, 735 and 715

paradise1234 wrote:
Hi, even I am using the exact same resources for my prep. Plus forum quiz on the gmat Club. It has a vast pool of Official questions that can be taken in the form of quiz. Hope this helps!

I thought of doing that too, but do you feel that some questions are formatted/asked differently to as they would be on the official mocks? I’ve seen reviews of some being harder than they would be on the exam etc.

paradise1234 wrote:
Just out of curiosity.. wat are ur official mock scores like?

how about yourself?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
   1  ...  232   233   234   235   236  ...  249