Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:26 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink]
Is it true you can graduate from Langone program in as little as 2 years?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tulosba82 wrote:
Is it true you can graduate from Langone program in as little as 2 years?

Yes, it is true.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone have a clue whether the weekend program is more competitive than the weekday?

And yea by the way a coworker of mine is graduating this spring in 21/2 years
Manager
Manager
Send PM
divakard wrote:
Does anyone have a clue whether the weekend program is more competitive than the weekday?

And yea by the way a coworker of mine is graduating this spring in 21/2 years

School will deny it, but all signs point to weekend being much harder due to limited spaces in that program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Guys,
Still working on my application, but here are the stats:
-31 Year old, White Male, US
-Undergard: Top 50 school: GPA - 3.53 CompSci major, Business Minor.
-GMAT: 700
-10 Years Experience in IT in Japan and US. My 4th Job. Career progression is lacking although salary progression is pretty good
-Low extra curricular

Writing my third essays - creative introduction. Who am I and what am I doing here?
Accepting responses from Adcom now ;-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all

Here is my profile
-30 Year old, Indian Male (US Resident)
-Undergraduate: Top school in India: GPA - 3.8 Mechanical major
-GMAT: 620(Q43, V32, AWA 5.5)
-9 Years Experience in IT. Decent career progression. Currently, Project Lead
-low to medium extra curriculars.

I know my gmat score is not that good, but i am giving it a shot. Hows everyone's application come along.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Applying to NYU Langone:

The past four months of my life have been filled with the trials and tortures that come with applying to a competitive business school. My app had question marks in it, and all the details of my life were not totally perfect, but I believed I had what it took to go to a top school… Fortunately On June 25th NYU agreed with me.

For those applying to NYU Stern’s Langone program, I put together a little guide of what to expect. This is based on what I learned from my own experience, and from the experiences of other gmat clubbers. Hopefully this will help reduce the anxiety for you, and give you an idea of what's ahead.

- APPLICATION PROCESS -

ROLLING ADMISSIONS AND DEADLINES:
So here’s the deal, it’s not really rolling in the normal sense. You can submit your application before the deadline, but they will NOT be reviewed until after the deadline. Furthermore, they will not necessarily be reviewed in a first in first out manner. Finally, the deadline is not usually enforced, and NYU usually takes apps months after the official cutoff date.

STATUS CHECKING:
NYU has a page where you can get the current status of your application. You’ll get a password for this at around the application deadline date. Your mental health will be best if you can resist the urge to check your status every few minutes. OCD can set in quickly.
Important note: If you don’t have a password 10 days or so after the deadline, call the adcom.

MISSING INFORMATION:
NYU will email you if you’re missing anything, and the missing items NYU needs will show up on the status check page. NYU is very fast at receiving and acknowledging the receipt of new material. When the new material is received, it shows up on the status check site (no email.)
Also, if NYU is asking you for stuff, it usually means your file is being reviewed. Many people receive notification within 2 weeks of sending the info (me included).

The following items will be needed:

= Official undergrad transcript with degree conferral.
= If you had transfer credits applied to your undergrad degree, then you’ll have to include the transcripts for those as well.
= NYU will want a copy of the official degree for international students
= 2 Letters of Rec.
= Essay 3 submission (if you indicated you’re sending something)

Important note: Sometimes you will get notification of a missing item late in the process, and if you cannot get it to them quickly, you can hurt your chances of being admitted.

NOTIFICATION:
When a decision has been made, you’ll get an email saying, “There has been an update to the status of your application to the NYU Stern MBA program.” If you go to the status check page, you’ll see the decision (Accept, Interview, Waitlist, Decline.) The official mailed package will follow in about 2 days.
Notifications can happen as soon as a week after the app deadline for re-apps and exceptionals, but most people will hear 1 – 2 months out. Most notifications come on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and they come in bulk. Notifications can have also come Friday and Monday, but almost never come on Thursday.
The wait is awful, but you’re not alone.

DEPOSIT:
Once you’re admitted, you have 2 weeks to pay NYU a $1000 deposit. You can pay this right away via the new student tour, or you can wait until you receive the official acceptance letter in the mail.
When NYU has your deposit, your status check screen will say the following: “We are in receipt of your Enrollment Deposit. Please be sure to initiate the verification process outlined in your admission letter. Please allow up to 5 business days for your Kroll login to be activated. As a new student…”

NEW STUDENT DATABASE:
When you get in and pay your deposit your name will be placed on the new student database, and you’ll be given access to view it (it's pretty cool). If you copy / past the database in to excel, you can get a count of how many people were admitted so far (it’s polite to post on the GMAT club board with admit count updates whenever you can). There is a delay of a few days between posting your deposit and appearing on the database. Also, the database is usually updated in the mid afternoon, and does not get updated every day.

KROLL:
After you get in, NYU will have an outside agency (Kroll) to investigate you (and they will make you pay for this privilege). While no one knows the extent of the background check, they will definitely confirm employment history (including salaries) and degree conferrals. Furthermore, they might call your referrers, verify your certifications and check criminal records. Military guys will need to provide DD214s. My credit reports don’t show a soft inquiry from Kroll or NYU, so I doubt they are checking credit.
The Kroll verification can take a long time. Do yourself and your nerves a favor and double check everything on your application before you send it. Have your paustubs / w2’s and degrees on hand, just in case. It will save you a lot of anxiety. Oh, and don’t lie on your app, not even a little bit. It’s one thing to be rejected on the truth; it’s another thing entirely to be rejected on a lie.

Important note: It’s a very common thing to have an ‘official title’ and an actual title that are different. Kroll knows this. As long as your employer will say the titles are equivalent, there’s nothing to worry about.

When Kroll is done, they send the info on you to NYU. NYU will review it, and if it's satisfactory, you’ll get an email that says the following: “Welcome to the NYU Stern Langone Program! We have received your enrollment deposit and your verification process has been satisfactorily completed. We are thrilled that you are part of our community.”

WAITLIST:
If you made the waitlist, then NYU clearly likes something about you, but…

1) Something in your application red flags you. For instance, if you live far away and don’t have a relocation plan in place, they will often waitlist you. NYU wants you to have a reasonably stable life and a good, reasonably stable job.
2) You were qualified for the program in every way, but lost out in the competition with other applicants. This usually happens in bulk near the notification deadline. Every cycle about 2 or 3 people like this on the gmat club get converted to admits, but a lot will be dinged. Reapplication success is usually high for this group, especially if they show a real effort to improve themselves (improve the gmat, take a challenging class, lead something…)

EMAIL ADDRESSES TO UNBLOCK
NYU Stern MBA Admissions [decisions@stern.nyu.edu] (Notifications)
NYU Stern MBA Admissions [appstat@stern.nyu.edu] (Status password and missing info messages)

- BACKUP PART TIME SCHOOLS -

I was quickly admitted into Fordham, and to be honest, it made the process of waiting for NYU a little easier. There’s something about having an admit in your back pocket…

NON LOCAL OPTIONS:
Kellogg and U Chicago: Awesome b-schools with awesome part time programs. People will fly-in each weekend for the Saturday program. As far as prestige, both of these are equivalent to NYU in every way.

LOCAL:
Fordham – It’s quite a step down from NYU, but it is generally considered the #2 part time MBA program in NY (though Baruch competes for this honor). The university has a great name and the program is reasonably competitive. It should be ranked, but it isn’t (blame the school, probably). They have a class of 2000+ and charge near what NYU is charging, so I don’t think they care.

Baruch – For finance guys, this may be a great backup. It’s well respected and has plenty of NY area recruiters. If you plan to move away from NY, then the Baruch name may lose some value to you. It’s very affordable.

U-Conn: Has a ranked full time program, which adds to the prestige of the part time one. It seems like a good atmosphere for those within reach of Connecticut.

Rutgers: Also has a ranked full time program and may be a great backup choice for NJ people.

Pace: Not as well regarded as the above, but it’s a good school in the heart of the city.

St. Johns, Hofstra… good backup schools on the island.

----------------------------------------

I hope this helps someone...

~ Tenore

Originally posted by Tenore on 28 Aug 2008, 12:36.
Last edited by Tenore on 29 Aug 2008, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Send PM
-34 Year old, Indian-Male-Techie (US Resident)
-Undergard: Top 25 school: GPA - 3.7
-Grad: Reputable school: GPA 3.41 - IS major
-GMAT: 710
-13+ Years Experience in IT. 9 in Financial Services.
- Good career progression
- Currently Project Manager in Financial Services industry
- Not many extra curriculars.
- Currently struggling with the Essays...

Question regarding Essay-1 that has max of 250 word limit.

Does anyone get the feeling that 250words is too little to outline the short-term as well as long-term career goals. Hardly gives any chance to expand on background and career progression ?

Just want to see what other people felt and any tips/advice...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Tenore! Great information.

Neelesh, regarding essays you are right. Its really hard to say everything you want in 250 words. My Essay-1 is about 300 words and I really had to cut out everything thats not closely relevant to the topic. I got rid of some examples and career background to get closer to the limit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I am a reapplicant. Does anyone know the word limit for Essay 4. Optional essay? Should I assume a max of 500 words?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I wrote the 4th essay. From what people advised me keep it short and to the point. Unless you have something worth 500 words don't go there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I wrote the fourth essay too. It was three paragraphs and less than a page long. Keep it short and concise. If you are explaining sub-par performance, don't be whiny or give excuses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
any NYU indian applicants, did you guys convert % to equivalent GPA...

I have 90.2% In my undergrad...should i specify this in my resume as it is without conversion?

thanks
sv6
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Folks,

I have applied to the Spring 2009 Part-time program at NYU. While all components of my application were submitted on time one of my recommendation provider missed the deadline and was a day late. Is this a big deal ? Does this mean that my application is going to be rejected/wait-listed ?

I sent an email to the adcom folks, asking for a couple of days of extension on my recommendation and this is what they wrote :

"Thank you for your message. To meet the deadline, the recommendations needed to be submitted by September 15th. If not, admissions will be on a space available basis."

What does this mean ?

Can someone who is more experienced and has been through the process please shed any insights into this.
The only reason my recommender got delayed was with all this Lehman fiasco going on at work, he hardly had anytime to finish it.

Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Neelesh....if that's the case then I am totally screwed. My reccos reached 7:20 AM Sept 16th as I express mailed them. I did receive a status check page that said that my application was complete. Did u get the same?

This is new. Usually they will note that those are missing items from your package and ask you to send it.

I wouldn't worry too much. I am a reapplicant and it was only two months later that they told me I needed my UG degree and not the provisional adn the rest is history....

I hope it's nothing much. Don't worry.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Bozo.

Although I have not received any status check email yet. When I had submitted the app, this is what I received as an automated email...

"Thank you for applying online to the NYU Stern School of Business. You will receive an email from Stern MBA Admissions within the coming weeks confirming the receipt of your application, and providing you with a password to our secure Application Status Check Website. Please note that application receipts will not be emailed prior to the application deadline. Please note that application receipts will not be emailed prior to the application deadline. This site will allow you to monitor the status of your application throughout the admissions process. This site is available 24 hours a day and reflects the current status of your application. You will be notified via email when your status has been updated. This site is continuously updated, but it may take up to 10 business days for information to be posted once we receive it, including your supplemental materials. "

I really hope what you are saying is true...it would be very disappointing to see my application go under the pile just because of this.... fingers crossed....

On a side not I was speaking to some of the current part-time students and they said that the number of applicants this year is up 40% compared to previous years....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tenore wrote:
Applying to NYU Langone:

ROLLING ADMISSIONS AND DEADLINES:
So here’s the deal, it’s not really rolling in the normal sense. You can submit your application before the deadline, but they will NOT be reviewed until after the deadline. Furthermore, they will not necessarily be reviewed in a first in first out manner. Finally, the deadline is not usually enforced, and NYU usually takes apps months after the official cutoff date.

~ Tenore

Tenore,

Can you shed some light on bozo's and my situation although I think bozo seems to be in a better shape than me as he has already received the status check email while I have not...Thanks in advance...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10