Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 06:48 It is currently 07 May 2024, 06:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 750 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013
WE 1: Consulting (3 years)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013
WE 1: Consulting (3 years)
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern($) vs Chicago Booth [#permalink]
Kudos
rafi wrote:
First of all thanks for the advice. Second I am really having a hard time deciding on my future path. I initially thought that I would go to IB but I am still not certain it will be the best way to go. I am not sure consulting or general management are not better options, yet I know that due to the fact I am a foreigner getting into consumer companies is harder.

I do plan on going to the admit weekends. My wife is currently getting her travel VISA to the US, so currently it is the only thing stopping me from booking the flights. I really hope that it will arrive on time and that these weekends will make the decision easier.

I see you chose to go Booth and I would really like to ask you, why? did you have other options? or did you already know that you would only want Booth, if accepted?

Thanks!
Rafi

It's ok if you are still undecided on your career - but you definitely need to factor that into your school choice.

Which school is strongest in each of the different areas you might consider pursuing? It's not enough for a school to be strong in your "best guess" area of interest. In case you change your mind, you want your school to be strong in each of the areas you're potentially interested in.

Which school has the best career coaching programs to help you make the final call on what you want to do? Do they give you enough time (via a mandatory recruiting quiet period) for you to do your research before the internship recruiting onslaught starts? Do they have programs for you to reach out to second years and/or alums to learn from their experiences in different fields?

Booth was one of a very small set of schools I applied to. (I'm an early career applicant who was happy to reapply next year, so I only applied to schools I'd be thrilled to attend.) I loved the quality of the professors and the academic rigor of the coursework. I loved all the small ways Booth supports its students, especially in career services. For example, having lockers in the building to conveniently change in and out of recruiting clothes... it's a small thing, but they add up, and more importantly, they signal a real commitment to the quality of student life. I loved the vibe walking around the winter garden, watching all the students interact with each other. It felt like a real community. Those were the biggest factors for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 750 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
motion wrote:
First of all, congrats. It's a great problem to have.

Are you going to both admit weekends? You should if it's at all logistically possible. Visiting is the best way to get a feel of the community and the neighborhood.

What are your career goals? Compare the career reports each school publishes. They have standardized information you can use to compare schools. What % of students get offers, how many in each industry/function, etc. Which school will give you an edge recruiting for your target job?

Look at the course listings, curriculum, and professors at each school. Are there 2 years of awesome classes you want to take? Will the curricular structure let you take what you want to take?

Remember, quality of school isn't just a question of brand. Ask yourself which school will make you a better businessman, manager, and leader over your entire career. You're investing a lot of time and money into an MBA. Make sure you're getting the most out of it. You only go to bschool once.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

First of all thanks for the advice. Second I am really having a hard time deciding on my future path. I initially thought that I would go to IB but I am still not certain it will be the best way to go. I am not sure consulting or general management are not better options, yet I know that due to the fact I am a foreigner getting into consumer companies is harder.

I do plan on going to the admit weekends. My wife is currently getting her travel VISA to the US, so currently it is the only thing stopping me from booking the flights. I really hope that it will arrive on time and that these weekends will make the decision easier.

I see you chose to go Booth and I would really like to ask you, why? did you have other options? or did you already know that you would only want Booth, if accepted?

Thanks!
Rafi
GMAT Club Bot