Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [56]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [18]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 721 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Haas School of Business
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [2]
Send PM
Re: Of the 200 members of a certain association, each member who speaks Ge [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
1) English only = 60. Spanish only = 70. English+German = x. English + Spanish = y. Can't solve. Insufficient.

2) Can't solve either as we only know Spanish only = 70 and None = 20.

Using both:

(German + English) + (English only) + (English + Spanish) + (Spanish only) + None = 200
(German + English) + (English + Spanish) = 200 - 60 - 70 - 20 = 30

Ans C

Note:
1) German only = 0 since each memeber who speaks german also speaks english
2) German + Spanish = 0 for the same reason.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 556 [1]
Send PM
Re: Of the 200 members of a certain association, each member who speaks Ge [#permalink]
Kudos
Yes using Venn Diagram is best.

Total = 200

Only Spanish = 70

Statement 1

Only English = 60

insufficient

Statement 2

None = 20

insufficient

both satements

200 - 20 = 180 speak at least one language.

since 70 speak only Spanish and 60 speak only English and since each member who speaks German also speaks English (but not the other way around) then:

180 - 70 - 60 = 50

no more then 50 people can speak German and they have to speak also English.

either way they speak two languages (even if its English and Spanish).

the answer is 50.

sufficient

the answer is (C)

:)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 556 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Venn Diagram

Green = only Spanish = 70

Blue = only English = 60

Red = three languages = 0

since 20 members speak none then 200-20 = 180

that leaves 180-60-70 = 50 for the yellow and gray.

since both the yellow and gray represents member with two languages then the answer is 50.

:)
Attachments

untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 12.48 KiB | Viewed 28964 times ]

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1029 [0]
Concentration: General
 Q50  V34
Send PM
i got the ans the first time, but now not able to undertsand . is this diag correct?
how to get 50 from this??
Attachments

Doc2.doc [836.5 KiB]
Downloaded 204 times

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
arjtryarjtry, in your diagram:

-all of the zeros are in the right place;
-you correctly have 60 only speaking English, and 70 only speaking Spanish;
-the only mistake is in the overlap of German and English, where you've also written 60; we have no information about how many people speak both German and English. Put a y there instead. Then the question asks for x+y. If we know that 0 people speak none of the three languages, we know that 180 people must be represented in the diagram, so 60+y+0+0+x+0+70 = 180, and x+y = 50. Since x+y is exactly what we're asked for, we have sufficient information. There is no way to actually find the value of either x or y here- we don't have enough information- but luckily we don't need to find x or y; we only need to find x+y.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1029 [0]
Concentration: General
 Q50  V34
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
arjtryarjtry, in your diagram:

-all of the zeros are in the right place;
-you correctly have 60 only speaking English, and 70 only speaking Spanish;
-the only mistake is in the overlap of German and English, where you've also written 60; we have no information about how many people speak both German and English. Put a y there instead. Then the question asks for x+y. If we know that 0 people speak none of the three languages, we know that 180 people must be represented in the diagram, so 60+y+0+0+x+0+70 = 180, and x+y = 50. Since x+y is exactly what we're asked for, we have sufficient information. There is no way to actually find the value of either x or y here- we don't have enough information- but luckily we don't need to find x or y; we only need to find x+y.

thanks Ian, but
how do we interpret the info that each german speaks english?
is it just a red herring?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arjtryarjtry wrote:
thanks Ian, but
how do we interpret the info that each german speaks english?
is it just a red herring?

No, that's important information. If everyone who speaks German also speaks English, then you must have zero people who only speak German. In addition, since no one speaks all three languages, no one speaks both German and Spanish. So this fact is the reason for two of the zeros in your diagram.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
the following are the only formations that result from the problem statement.

200 = E' + E'S' + E'G' + S' + No of ppl who donot speak any language.

E' represents only english
E'S' represnts only english and spanish accoringly..

combing one and two,

200 = 60 + e's' + e'g' + 70 + 20..

the value of e's' + e'g' means the no of people studying speaking 2 languages.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Number who speak exactly two of three languages = (Total - Those who speak none - Those who speak exactly 1 lang - those who speak all 3 languages)

(1) Not sufficient since it does not tell us how many dont speak any language
(2) Not sufficient since we cannot conclude from this how many speak just one language (we know about english but not spanich)

(1) + (2) Sufficient

Total = 200
Speak none = 20
Speak exactly 1 = 60 (E) + 70 (S) + 0 (G, as all who speak german also speak english)
Speak all three = 0
Hence exactly two = 50

Answer = (C)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
I've done the following, could someone please opine about the Venn Diagram and the solution. I've a feel I'm doing something wrong.

E - G - both = 60

Only E + Only S + Both = 180 (because G is inside E)

Only E = 60, only S = 70

=> both S & E = 180 - 130 = 50

=> E = 110

=> 110 - 50 - G = 60

=> G = 0

So people speaking 2 languages = 50
Attachments

Venn.png
Venn.png [ 9.8 KiB | Viewed 18778 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Gordon wrote:
Of the 200 members of a certain association, each member who speaks german also speaks english, and 70 of the members speak only spanish. If no member speaks all 3 languages, how many of the members speak 2 of the 3 languages?

1.) 60 members speak only english
2.) 20 membes do not speak any of the 3 languages.

Please explain your calculation.

Responding to a pm:

I like to analyze every sentence of the question as I read it. Sometimes, it leads me to the answer by the time I read the question stem at the end. This is one of those questions.
Let me explain.

Of the 200 members of a certain association, each member who speaks german also speaks english,

It tells me that there is no one who speaks only German.

and 70 of the members speak only spanish.

70 people speak only Spanish. If now I know how many people speak only English, I will get how many people speak only one language.

If no member speaks all 3 languages,

no one speaks all 3 languages

how many of the members speak 2 of the 3 languages?

200 = Members who speak no language + members who speak only 1 language + [highlight]members who speak exactly 2 languages[/highlight] + members who speak 3 languages (=0)

We need to know the highlighted number.

1.) 60 members speak only english
Now I know how many people speak only one language but I don't know how many speak no language.

2.) 20 membes do not speak any of the 3 languages.
Now I know how many people speak no language but I don't know how many speak only one language.

Both statements together, give me all the information I need. I mark (C) here and move on but I will show the calculation below.

200 = 20 + (60 + 70 + 0) + [highlight]members who speak exactly 2 languages[/highlight] + 0
[highlight]members who speak exactly 2 languages[/highlight] = 50
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 03-19-2015
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Of the 200 members of a certain association, each member who speaks German also speaks English, and 70 of the members speak only Spanish. If no member speaks all three languages, how many of the members speak two of the 3 languages?

Venn diagram is the best way to solve this question. So here are the tips for it:
From the stem if 70 speaks only Spanish and no student speaks three languages, max # of students who speaks two languages is 200-70=130.
Note that if ALL who speaks German speaks English means that no student speaks ONLY German, but not vise-versa, meaning that there may be the students who speak English only.
Also note there may be the students among 200 who speak no English, German or Spanish.

So, basically we need to determine the number of students who speak only English and the number of students who doesn't speak any languages and subtract this from 130 (as we already subtracted only Spanish and know that there are no only German).

(1) 60 speaks ONLY English, max # of students who speaks two languages is 200-70-60=70. But we don't know how this 70 is split: don't know how many don't speak any of the languages. Not sufficient.

(2) 20 don't speak any of the language. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) 70-20(any languages)=50 (# of students who speak two languages).

Answer: C.

I still dont get it Bunuel, I'll put forward my explanation and please correct me where i am making a mistake. I'll Share a diagram with my explanation.

According to the information in the question, I created the following diagram. We know that All german speakers spoke English BUT NOT ALL ENGLISH SPEAKERS SPOKE GERMAN. So, the Orange region is the ONLY GERMAN SPEAKING segment..

Since, NO ONE SPOKE JUST GERMAN, AND EVERY GERMAN SPEAKER SPOKE ENGLISH WE CAN PUT THE ORANGE OVAL INSIDE THE GREEN BIGGER OVAL WHICH DENOTES THE ENGLISH SPEAKERS, SO THE ALL GREEN area denotes ONLY THE ENGLISH SPEAKERS. (Not the German + English Speakers)

The red denotes ONLY SPANISH SPEAKING people and Blue denotes people who spoke 2 languages, and the only 2 languages possible here are Spanish and English, since no one speaks all three languages.

Now we need to determine the size of the BLUE region.

Statement 1: I think statement 1 tells us the size of the GREEN, ONLY the green region and we still dont know the size of the orange region. NOTE that 200 = Orange+Green+Blue+Red+White (Universe, who speak no language). So insufficient, since we just have the value of Green and the red region.
we have,

200= Orange+60+Blue+70+White
70= Orange+Blue+White. So Not Sufficient.

Statement 2: again, we know 200= Orange+Green+Blue+Red+White
Here we know Red= 70, White= 20

so, 200= Orange+Green+Blue+70+20
110= Orange+Green+Blue. Not sufficient.

St (1)+(2),

We know Green= 60, Red=70, White= 20, However regions Orange and Blue are unknown.

200= Orange+Green+Blue+Red+White
200= Orange+60+Blue+70+20
200= 150+Orange+Blue
200-150= Orange+Blue
50= Orange+Blue.

Now since we dont know what Orange is, we cannot know the value of Blue. If the Statement 1 was, Only 60 Speak English, then we could have presumed that 60 includes all English speaking individuals including the German+english, however, Statement 1 says, 60 ONLY speak english and not german, and so it tells us about the Green region.

So, IMO answer E, tell me where I am wrong, Bunuel. Thanks :)
Attachments

german and all.png
german and all.png [ 15.98 KiB | Viewed 20861 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
Paur wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Of the 200 members of a certain association, each member who speaks German also speaks English, and 70 of the members speak only Spanish. If no member speaks all three languages, how many of the members speak two of the 3 languages?

Venn diagram is the best way to solve this question. So here are the tips for it:
From the stem if 70 speaks only Spanish and no student speaks three languages, max # of students who speaks two languages is 200-70=130.
Note that if ALL who speaks German speaks English means that no student speaks ONLY German, but not vise-versa, meaning that there may be the students who speak English only.
Also note there may be the students among 200 who speak no English, German or Spanish.

So, basically we need to determine the number of students who speak only English and the number of students who doesn't speak any languages and subtract this from 130 (as we already subtracted only Spanish and know that there are no only German).

(1) 60 speaks ONLY English, max # of students who speaks two languages is 200-70-60=70. But we don't know how this 70 is split: don't know how many don't speak any of the languages. Not sufficient.

(2) 20 don't speak any of the language. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) 70-20(any languages)=50 (# of students who speak two languages).

Answer: C.

I still dont get it Bunuel, I'll put forward my explanation and please correct me where i am making a mistake. I'll Share a diagram with my explanation.

According to the information in the question, I created the following diagram. We know that All german speakers spoke English BUT NOT ALL ENGLISH SPEAKERS SPOKE GERMAN. So, the Orange region is the ONLY GERMAN SPEAKING segment..

Since, NO ONE SPOKE JUST GERMAN, AND EVERY GERMAN SPEAKER SPOKE ENGLISH WE CAN PUT THE ORANGE OVAL INSIDE THE GREEN BIGGER OVAL WHICH DENOTES THE ENGLISH SPEAKERS, SO THE ALL GREEN area denotes ONLY THE ENGLISH SPEAKERS. (Not the German + English Speakers)

The red denotes ONLY SPANISH SPEAKING people and Blue denotes people who spoke 2 languages, and the only 2 languages possible here are Spanish and English, since no one speaks all three languages.

Now we need to determine the size of the [color=#0000ff]BLUE region. [/color]

Statement 1: I think statement 1 tells us the size of the GREEN, ONLY the green region and we still dont know the size of the orange region. NOTE that 200 = Orange+Green+Blue+Red+White (Universe, who speak no language). So insufficient, since we just have the value of Green and the red region.
we have,

200= Orange+60+Blue+70+White
70= Orange+Blue+White. So Not Sufficient.

Statement 2: again, we know 200= Orange+Green+Blue+Red+White
Here we know Red= 70, White= 20

so, 200= Orange+Green+Blue+70+20
110= Orange+Green+Blue. Not sufficient.

St (1)+(2),

We know Green= 60, Red=70, White= 20, However regions Orange and Blue are unknown.

200= Orange+Green+Blue+Red+White
200= Orange+60+Blue+70+20
200= 150+Orange+Blue
200-150= Orange+Blue
50= Orange+Blue.

Now since we dont know what Orange is, we cannot know the value of Blue. If the Statement 1 was, Only 60 Speak English, then we could have presumed that 60 includes all English speaking individuals including the German+english, however, Statement 1 says, 60 ONLY speak english and not german, and so it tells us about the Green region.

So, IMO answer E, tell me where I am wrong, Bunuel. Thanks :)

Two of the 3 languages is the sum of Orange (English and German) and Blue (English and Spanish) and it's 50, as you've correctly written, so the answer is C, not E,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [1]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM