Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]
daagh - could you please help to understand which part of sentence is subjunctive ? Also what is mean my subjunctive is unwarranted ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]
What does "it" stands for in (D)?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
IanStewart is "it" incorrect in (A) since there is no antecedent? or does "it" have an antecedent

It depends how you read answer A - it's not a proper sentence because of the first comma (after '1993'). If you delete that comma, then 'it' refers to the long part of the sentence 'that a citizen hold gold (etc)'. If you think of these two much simpler sentences:

Littering is a crime
It is a crime to litter

or if you prefer something a bit closer to the original, these two:

On account of a 1993 law, littering is a crime.
On account of a 1993 law, it is a crime to litter.

then the meaning of each sentence is identical, and each is grammatically correct. In the versions that use 'it', the word 'it' refers to 'to litter'. The same happens in the original question in this thread, but the wording is a lot more complicated. And if you delete the first comma in answer A, then the word 'it' functions the same way as it does in answer D.

The problem with A is that the first comma sets off the 'On account...' phrase from the rest of the sentence. It then becomes a modifier we should be able to delete and still have a complete sentence (just as you can in the two sentences I wrote above that begin "On account of a 1993 law, ..."). But if you delete that part of answer A, you don't have an English sentence, so that first comma alone is fatal, and A can't be right. And because the sentence doesn't make any sense as written, it's actually hard to decide what role the word 'it' is even playing.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Why no one is pointing to the glaring subject-verb agreement error between the subject "a US citizen" and the verb "hold" in option-A and B?

Could anyone please shed some light?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
aarkay87 wrote:
Why no one is pointing to the glaring subject-verb agreement error between the subject "a US citizen" and the verb "hold" in option-A and B?

The verb is in the subjunctive in answers A and B, and is actually correct. Some replies early in this thread argued that the use of the subjunctive here was unwarranted, but as best I can tell, it's mandatory. If the sentence were changed to the indicative, so if it said something like (simplifying) :

It is a crime that a citizen holds gold...

then the sentence is saying "A citizen holds gold, and that is a crime." But that's not the intention here; the sentence means to describe a hypothetical only. It means to say "If a citizen were to hold gold, that would be a crime." And the subjunctive mood exists precisely to express hypotheticals (and a few other things). Phrased with the subjunctive:

It is a crime that a citizen hold gold...

the sentence now means "If it were true that a citizen held gold, that would be a crime."

We don't use the subjunctive often in ordinary writing or conversation, and people often don't use it when it would be the technically correct (according to grammarians) choice, so sometimes sentences that use it correctly can sound strange, and I can see how that would be the case here.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
aarkay87 wrote:

The verb is in the subjunctive in answers A and B, and is actually correct. Some replies early in this thread argued that the use of the subjunctive here was unwarranted, but as best I can tell, it's mandatory. If the sentence were changed to the indicative, so if it said something like (simplifying) :

It is a crime that a citizen holds gold...

then the sentence is saying "A citizen holds gold, and that is a crime." But that's not the intention here; the sentence means to describe a hypothetical only. It means to say "If a citizen were to hold gold, that would be a crime." And the subjunctive mood exists precisely to express hypotheticals (and a few other things). Phrased with the subjunctive:

It is a crime that a citizen hold gold...

the sentence now means "If it were true that a citizen held gold, that would be a crime."

We don't use the subjunctive often in ordinary writing or conversation, and people often don't use it when it would be the technically correct (according to grammarians) choice, so sometimes sentences that use it correctly can sound strange, and I can see how that would be the case here.

Hi IanStewart

Thanks for the revert!

For subjunctive mood, there must be a bossy verb for standard structure "Bossy verb + THAT + Subject + command subjunctive"
which one is the bossy verb in the problem under-discussion?

I also checked option-A & B in "Grammarly.com". Grammarly also says that there should be a singular verb i.e. "holds" for a grammatically correct structure.

Please share your inputs.

Regards
Rohit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]
jlgdr wrote:
THE SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD
So this is basically used in two special situations:
- Unlikely or unreal conditions (usually after 'if' or a similar word)
- Proposals, desires, and requests formed with certain verbs and the word that
These two uses correspond to two forms of the subjunctive mood: The Hypothetical Subjunctive and the Command Subjunctive, respectively

The Hypothetical Subjunctive
We use it in a few circumstances to indicate unlikely or unreal conditions. Principally, this form occurs after 'if', 'as if', or 'as though'
Now the basic form of the Hypothetical Subjuctive is equivalent to the Simple Past of every Verb, with one exception. For the verb 'to be' . For the verb 'to be' the form were is always used.
Eg. To overcome my fear of germs, I will think about disease as though it WERE harmless

The Command Subjunctive
The other form of the subjunctive mood is the Command Subjunctive, which is much more important on the GMAT than the Hypotethical Subjunctive
The command subjunctive is used with certain BOSSY VERBS such as require or propose. Bossy Verbs tell people to do things
This form is also known as the Bare Form of the verb: the infinitive without the 'to'.
The subjunctive construction with a Bossy Verb is always as follows: Bossy Verb + THAT + subject + Command Subjunctive
However, there are some common Bossy Verbs, such as WANT, you cannot use the Command Subjunctive with but rather an infinitive (to + the bare form)
- Common Verbs that take ONLY the Command Subjunctive when indicating desire: demand, dictate, insist, mandate, propose, recommend, request, stipulate, suggest

Note: Propose can take an infinitive when there's no second subject (Eg. The attorneys PROPOSED TO MEET the following day)
- Verbs that take ONLY the infinitive: advice, allow, forbid, persuade, want
- Verbs that take EITHER the Command Subjunctive OR the infitinive: ask, beg, intend, order, prefer, urge, require

Also, you should keep in mind that few bossy words, most notably prohibit, take other constructions alltogether (Prohibit FROM)
The Command subjunctive can also be used with nouns derived from Bossy Verbs, such as a demand or a request.
Also the Command subjunctive is possible with 'It is X', in which X is an adjective, such as essential, that conveys urgency. It is X is not commonly tested on the GMAT (Eg. It is essential THAT Gary BE ready before noon)

Other adjectives conveying urgency include: advisable, crucial, desirable, fitting, imperative, important, mandatory, necessary, preferable, urgent and vital.
Note also that you can use an infinitive in these constructions (Eg. It is essential for Gary to be ready before noon)
Avoid the use of the Command Subjunctive 'whether'. This usage is old fashioned (Eg. I like Ice cream, , whether it BE choclolate, vanilla, or any other flavor)

Oh and by the way, a few Bossy Verbs can be used in non-Bossy ways: Her presence SUGGESTS that she IS happy. In this context, suggests means "probably means"; it is not acting Bossy. As always, pay close attention to the meaning!

Hope it helps you out
Make some Kudos rain if you like it. I really need them for my GMAT tests

Take it easy ok?
Cheers
J :)

P.S. Oh, and BTW will some clarify what's wrong with Choice (B) in the question above? Let me know

Thanks

GREAT explanation. I want to add
in hypothetical subjective, some cases can be
1. wish. I wish that you came.
2, subjective+modal meaning. I wish he should have passed gmat. I wish he could have passed gmat.

your work is great because you categorize subjective into unreal case and command case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]
Hi AjiteshArun

I chose A over D because the wording "a law passed" made me think that the sentence calls for a command subjunctive. How do we judge with absolute conviction if a command subjunctive is needed or not?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
AjiteshArun IanStewart - is this a fair way to eliminate (A) ?

In (A) -- I thought Comma + Verb'ing (Making) is wrong because what is before the comma IS NOT A clause (On account of a law passed in 1993 is not a clause)

Per my understanding Comma + Verb'ing (Making) works if there is a clause BEFOREHAND
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:

To answer your query, there is no fixed rule that the "comma + present participle" construction must be preceded by a clause.

Hi ExpertsGlobal5 - Could you give some simple examples of sentences in which "comma + present participle" construction IS NOT preceded by a clause and the sentence works ?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:

To answer your query, there is no fixed rule that the "comma + present participle" construction must be preceded by a clause.

Hi ExpertsGlobal5 - Could you give some simple examples of sentences in which "comma + present participle" construction IS NOT preceded by a clause and the sentence works ?

Hello jabhatta2,

We hope this finds you well.

Please consider this sentence as an example - "John, feeling cold, decided to order pizza."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Why (E) is not correct, since "Being" can modifies a Law ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 308
Send PM
Can anyone please help me to understand that generally the rule says to use Because of + noun form
But in option 4, I believe Because of is followed by Clause

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
sagarpatelceo wrote:
Can anyone please help me to understand that generally the rule says to use Because of + noun form

Thanks in advance.

Hi sagarpatelceo,

The fourth option does not use a subject-verb combination after because of. Making is not a "complete" verb (an -ing can never be a complete verb on its own), and hold is part of the infinitive to hold (infinitives are also not complete verbs). Finally, passed as it is used here is also not a complete verb. Instead, it's a participle modifier, a shorter way to say that was passed.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
sagarpatelceo wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hello sagarpatelceo,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, here "making" is not an active verb, but a present participle ("verb+ing") that acts as a modifier upon the noun "law"; thus, "Because of" is not followed by a clause; it is followed by the noun phrase "a law", which is in turn modified by a present participle.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts