GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 00:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 19:52
D is right because in other options, "that" are put in wrong places to modify wrong nouns.
Also, here is an important note: preposition + noun + participle is 100% wrong in gmat
For example, because of his troops dying from the cold, Napoleon had to retreat from Russia.

However, in this question, "because of law passed in 1933 making..." is correct, because "making" does not modify the "law", but the whole clause "law passed in 1933"
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 04:54
On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k,

IN option A there might be some other errors but could you please let me know what making is modifying

As per my knowledge comma + -ing modifies the preceding clause

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 14:41
NandishSS wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k,

IN option A there might be some other errors but could you please let me know what making is modifying

As per my knowledge comma + -ing modifies the preceding clause

Dear NandishSS,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, any one-size-fits-all rule about participles is worse than useless. Participles have a bewildering array of uses and no one rule is going to capture it all.

In the bigger picture, your question is indicative of the wrong approach. Many students incorrectly imagine that they can get to GMAT SC mastery by memorizing all the rules: that is an entirely chimerical pursuit. Yes, there are some grammar rules one needs to learn, but even if one learns every conceivable rule, that's less than half the story. Mastery comes from developing intuition about the language, about how words and structures are used in the living flow. For a non-native speaker, the best way to develop this intuition is to cultivate a rigorous habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

In this SC problem, version (A) is an awkward disaster. For a native speaker, it's obvious how awful it is. That would be the most important thing for a non-native speaker to learn to appreciate. The participle "making" here acts as a noun-modifier modifying "law." That's one of the few things that (A) gets correct.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 15:15
mikemcgarry wrote:
In this SC problem, version (A) is an awkward disaster. For a native speaker, it's obvious how awful it is. That would be the most important thing for a non-native speaker to learn to appreciate. The participle "making" here acts as a noun-modifier modifying "law." That's one of the few things that (A) gets correct.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike, it is not obvious to me. I have read through these explanations (and a portion of Manhattan Prep's 10 pages on this question), and I have not seen an intuitive reason why both A and D could not work. To me, A and D both 'sound' okay, so I am hoping there is a rule I can learn.

Thank you,

ChiefsFan
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jul 2018, 20:47
Top Contributor

A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold --- 1. This is defective in structure because of the comma after 1933. 2. The comma indicates that the present participle is not able to modify the law. It can neither modify the immigrants lest it should become improper modification. 3. the subjunctive bare infinitive 'hold' is not appropriate I the context. Hold should be changed to either 'holds', 'to hold', or 'holding'.

B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold-- This means that the immigrants were armed with a law.

C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding --The first part, being a modifier is not able to connect with the second part with a preposition. Nor does it have a verb and proper conjunction to make it a complex or compound sentence.

D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold---- 1. Now the present participle is able to modify the law because of the removal of the comma.2.'Because of' provides the much need conjugation with the second part. Correct choice

E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold --'Due to' cannot be used in the context owing to the lack of a noun such as 'passage' and 'being passed in 1933' makes no sense.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 14 Jul 2018, 20:38.
Last edited by daagh on 14 Jul 2018, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 04:49
daagh - could you please help to understand which part of sentence is subjunctive ? Also what is mean my subjunctive is unwarranted ?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 07:17
Top Contributor
Avinash
Quote:
Also what is mean my subjunctive is unwarranted?

Who said so?

I couldn't get what you meant by your subjunctive. Choice A contains the subjunctive bare infinitive 'hold,' (that a US citizen hold) which is inappropriate I said.

You are aware that the gist of the command subjunctive and the use of the bare infinitive are there to indicate a compulsion by X (the commander) who insists that Y, (the receiver of the command) do something. This mandating is sometimes stated explicitly by such words as order, required, etc. or even implicitly by such words as recommended, desired and so on.

Now in the given case, what is the law saying? It wants to say that it will punish if the citizen holds bullion on entry. However, the wording seems to be such that the law is exhorting the citizen to hold. This is a meaning fault.

HTH

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im &nbs [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 07:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap