It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2008, 21:40
Because of a law passed ... immigrants found that does not make it correct sentence. Same is true with On account of and Due to
Also starting the sentence with Because of creates a subordinate clasue.

The subjunctive mood in B is correct.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2008, 09:22
uf! this one is very difficult!

I picked A... can we have the OE?

Regarding D, I thought that the use of "Because of" needs a noun after, making D incorrect

Can someone confirm this point?

Thanks

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 13

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 40 [3], given: 0

Schools: HBS,Yale, British Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2012, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dont bother urself using those hard grammatical word-subjunctive rules. Try to analyze each sentecnce from OG and try to find a way of answering questions without using hardcore grammar knowledge but using sense and direction.

Let me show u how u can do it.

A. On account of a law
passed in 1993, making
it a crime punishable by
imprisonment that a
United States citizen
hold (wrong because US citizens didn't held pusnishment, they got punishment for holding gold.)
B. With a law passed in
1933 that makes it a
crime punishable by
imprisonment that a
United States citizen
hold
(wrong because of the same reason of A)
C. A law passed in 1933
that made it a crime
punishable by
imprisonment for a
United States citizen
holding ( no realating conjunction is used)
D. Because of a law
passed in 1933 making
it a crime punishable by
imprisonment for a
United States citizen to
hold
E. Due to a law being
passed in 1933 that
makes it a crime
punishable by
imprisonment for a
United States citizen to
hold ( E would be correct if the mention time would be correct.)

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 40 [3], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 25

GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2012, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
option A and B are wrong because of meaning issue. A law is not hold be US citizen
C is wrong as two independent clauses should be linked by conjunction.
Between D and E...
E is wordy
D correct

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 25

9 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 770 [9], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dishagoyal90 wrote:
Can anyone help me understand what is subjunctive mood?

Sure thing buddy, let me help you out.

THE SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD
So this is basically used in two special situations:
- Unlikely or unreal conditions (usually after 'if' or a similar word)
- Proposals, desires, and requests formed with certain verbs and the word that
These two uses correspond to two forms of the subjunctive mood: The Hypothetical Subjunctive and the Command Subjunctive, respectively

The Hypothetical Subjunctive
We use it in a few circumstances to indicate unlikely or unreal conditions. Principally, this form occurs after 'if', 'as if', or 'as though'
Now the basic form of the Hypothetical Subjuctive is equivalent to the Simple Past of every Verb, with one exception. For the verb 'to be' . For the verb 'to be' the form were is always used.
Eg. To overcome my fear of germs, I will think about disease as though it WERE harmless

The Command Subjunctive
The other form of the subjunctive mood is the Command Subjunctive, which is much more important on the GMAT than the Hypotethical Subjunctive
The command subjunctive is used with certain BOSSY VERBS such as require or propose. Bossy Verbs tell people to do things
This form is also known as the Bare Form of the verb: the infinitive without the 'to'.
The subjunctive construction with a Bossy Verb is always as follows: Bossy Verb + THAT + subject + Command Subjunctive
However, there are some common Bossy Verbs, such as WANT, you cannot use the Command Subjunctive with but rather an infinitive (to + the bare form)
- Common Verbs that take ONLY the Command Subjunctive when indicating desire: demand, dictate, insist, mandate, propose, recommend, request, stipulate, suggest

Note: Propose can take an infinitive when there's no second subject (Eg. The attorneys PROPOSED TO MEET the following day)
- Verbs that take ONLY the infinitive: advice, allow, forbid, persuade, want
- Verbs that take EITHER the Command Subjunctive OR the infitinive: ask, beg, intend, order, prefer, urge, require

Also, you should keep in mind that few bossy words, most notably prohibit, take other constructions alltogether (Prohibit FROM)
The Command subjunctive can also be used with nouns derived from Bossy Verbs, such as a demand or a request.
Also the Command subjunctive is possible with 'It is X', in which X is an adjective, such as essential, that conveys urgency. It is X is not commonly tested on the GMAT (Eg. It is essential THAT Gary BE ready before noon)

Other adjectives conveying urgency include: advisable, crucial, desirable, fitting, imperative, important, mandatory, necessary, preferable, urgent and vital.
Note also that you can use an infinitive in these constructions (Eg. It is essential for Gary to be ready before noon)
Avoid the use of the Command Subjunctive 'whether'. This usage is old fashioned (Eg. I like Ice cream, , whether it BE choclolate, vanilla, or any other flavor)

Oh and by the way, a few Bossy Verbs can be used in non-Bossy ways: Her presence SUGGESTS that she IS happy. In this context, suggests means "probably means"; it is not acting Bossy. As always, pay close attention to the meaning!

Hope it helps you out
Make some Kudos rain if you like it. I really need them for my GMAT tests

Take it easy ok?
Cheers
J :)

P.S. Oh, and BTW will some clarify what's wrong with Choice (B) in the question above? Let me know

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 770 [9], given: 355

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 08:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

INCORRECT PORTIONS UNDERLINED......

A.On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonmentthat a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold....CORRECT
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 70

8 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 948 [8], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2014, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
Modifier,Modifier,Modified Noun(immigrants)
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
Immigrants , with a law passed.., found that
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
Main Clause,Main Clause RUNON
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Shows stated cause and effect.
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Due to ...being

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 948 [8], given: 322

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1968 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2014, 23:37
Option (D) has grammatical error:

D. Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

ing modifier modifies immediate noun but it is placed after 1993, further doer of the action is missing.. who is making ?

IMO only option B has no grammatical errors.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1968 [0], given: 229

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 298

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 12:37
technocrat wrote:
Because of a law passed ... immigrants found that does not make it correct sentence. Same is true with On account of and Due to
Also starting the sentence with Because of creates a subordinate clasue.

The subjunctive mood in B is correct.

There is no subjunctive mood here, subjunctive mood uses-
Demand/Request/Recommend word +THAT + Subject+ Subjunctive Verb

subjunctive verb is plural.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 298

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 21:06
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
uf! this one is very difficult!

I picked A... can we have the OE?

Regarding D, I thought that the use of "Because of" needs a noun after, making D incorrect

Can someone confirm this point?

Thanks

Cheers

Actually the answer to this should be D, and not B (as mentioned by a poster above).

In D, because of is indeed followed by a noun a law.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 14

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2014, 16:47
OA is D according to MGMAT

MGMAT Explanation:http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/on-account-of-a-law-passed-in-1993-making-it-a-crime-punish-t3096.html

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 2405

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 03:19
Nihit wrote:

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

we have no idiom that

make it a crime +that-clause

am I right?

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [2], given: 34

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2014, 01:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

ambiguous, because "making" could refer to "immigrants"
"makes" should be "made"
C. A law (passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding)
fragment
correct usage
awkward

Kudos [?]: 12 [2], given: 34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 18

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 12:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
PiyushK wrote:
Option (D) has grammatical error:

D. Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

ing modifier modifies immediate noun but it is placed after 1993, further doer of the action is missing.. who is making ?

IMO only option B has no grammatical errors.

Verb-ing modifier without a comma modifies the preceding noun or noun phrase. In option D making modifies the noun phrase "law passed in 1993". So it is grammatically correct.
Refer to this very useful post by e-GMAT http://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html?fl=similar

Option B has a number of grammatical errors.
B. With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins
The word "With" requires a doer. Who passed the Law ? and Why did the person/entity passed the Law ?
In the absence of a doer the sentence is incomplete. If we cut through the fluff, this sentence is reduced to:
With a law passed that makes it a crime that a US citizen do something, immigrants found something. - Makes no sense. With and Because are not interchangeable.

Also the law itself is not stated clearly in B - Law that makes it a crime that a US citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins.
The Law is supposed to make it a crime for a US citizen to hold gold.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2014, 23:31
By imprisonment to whom or for whom?? Not that a US
So Eliminate AB
C _ Holding , Law was passed long back
E _ Due to modifies a noun(Adjectival)
D _ Because of ( Adverbial) Making it a crime

D
:-D

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 00:23

"," is used inappropriately
"that a United States citizen hold" awkwardly modify imprisonment

make the intended meaning of the sentence become unclear, the law passed in 1933 is the reason that immigrants had to surrender all of the gold

run on sentence

correctly express the intended meaning, "because of" logically represent reason for the action in the second clause

"being" is awkward
"due to" is not use appropriately

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 21:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 07:39
Can someone tell what is the antecedent of the pronoun 'it' in all the five cases?

It appears that it refers to "holding gold in form of coins or bullions". But holding gold is definitely not a noun.
How can a pronoun refer to something else??
Also if you still support that "holding gold in form of coins or bullions" is the antecedent, in that case, when we substitute back this in the sentence, the sentence sounds very awkward.

Can someone explain?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 07:40
Can someone tell what is the antecedent of the pronoun 'it' in all the five cases?

It appears that it refers to "holding gold in form of coins or bullions". But holding gold is definitely not a noun.
How can a pronoun refer to something else??
Also if you still support that "holding gold in form of coins or bullions" is the antecedent, in that case, when we substitute back this in the sentence, the sentence sounds very awkward.

Can someone explain?

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 08:01
I am going in for D as well

Confused between D and E. Don't remember if Due to is recommended or not in GMAT english.

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 46

Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2016, 08:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap