GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Sep 2017, 20:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:55) correct 34% (01:00) wrong based on 750 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

(A) On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

(B) With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

(C) A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding

(D) Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

(E) Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

hey ya......

Originally posted by nakib77 on 22 Oct 2005, 06:02.
Last edited by hazelnut on 26 Sep 2017, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
13 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 10:40
THE SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD
So this is basically used in two special situations:
- Unlikely or unreal conditions (usually after 'if' or a similar word)
- Proposals, desires, and requests formed with certain verbs and the word that
These two uses correspond to two forms of the subjunctive mood: The Hypothetical Subjunctive and the Command Subjunctive, respectively

The Hypothetical Subjunctive
We use it in a few circumstances to indicate unlikely or unreal conditions. Principally, this form occurs after 'if', 'as if', or 'as though'
Now the basic form of the Hypothetical Subjuctive is equivalent to the Simple Past of every Verb, with one exception. For the verb 'to be' . For the verb 'to be' the form were is always used.
Eg. To overcome my fear of germs, I will think about disease as though it WERE harmless

The Command Subjunctive
The other form of the subjunctive mood is the Command Subjunctive, which is much more important on the GMAT than the Hypotethical Subjunctive
The command subjunctive is used with certain BOSSY VERBS such as require or propose. Bossy Verbs tell people to do things
This form is also known as the Bare Form of the verb: the infinitive without the 'to'.
The subjunctive construction with a Bossy Verb is always as follows: Bossy Verb + THAT + subject + Command Subjunctive
However, there are some common Bossy Verbs, such as WANT, you cannot use the Command Subjunctive with but rather an infinitive (to + the bare form)
- Common Verbs that take ONLY the Command Subjunctive when indicating desire: demand, dictate, insist, mandate, propose, recommend, request, stipulate, suggest

Note: Propose can take an infinitive when there's no second subject (Eg. The attorneys PROPOSED TO MEET the following day)
- Verbs that take ONLY the infinitive: advice, allow, forbid, persuade, want
- Verbs that take EITHER the Command Subjunctive OR the infitinive: ask, beg, intend, order, prefer, urge, require

Also, you should keep in mind that few bossy words, most notably prohibit, take other constructions alltogether (Prohibit FROM)
The Command subjunctive can also be used with nouns derived from Bossy Verbs, such as a demand or a request.
Also the Command subjunctive is possible with 'It is X', in which X is an adjective, such as essential, that conveys urgency. It is X is not commonly tested on the GMAT (Eg. It is essential THAT Gary BE ready before noon)

Other adjectives conveying urgency include: advisable, crucial, desirable, fitting, imperative, important, mandatory, necessary, preferable, urgent and vital.
Note also that you can use an infinitive in these constructions (Eg. It is essential for Gary to be ready before noon)
Avoid the use of the Command Subjunctive 'whether'. This usage is old fashioned (Eg. I like Ice cream, , whether it BE choclolate, vanilla, or any other flavor)

Oh and by the way, a few Bossy Verbs can be used in non-Bossy ways: Her presence SUGGESTS that she IS happy. In this context, suggests means "probably means"; it is not acting Bossy. As always, pay close attention to the meaning!

Hope it helps you out
Make some Kudos rain if you like it. I really need them for my GMAT tests

Take it easy ok?
Cheers
J :)

P.S. Oh, and BTW will some clarify what's wrong with Choice (B) in the question above? Let me know

Thanks
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2005, 07:11
nakib77 wrote:
Q18:
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.
A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

Choice D is the best.
A is not the best because, "for" should follow "making it a crime punishable by imprisonment"'
B is awkward.
C creates a run-in sentence
D - "Due to" means "Caused by" so is not appropriate.

Mayur

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2005, 14:22
**************What is the importance of comma?****************
I really hate this question, Could someone explain me???
I will take D in the exam becaues of its concise, but only my doudt is......

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, thus officers making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
In ETS---structure is " s+v, thus s+v " (cause-effect)
ex1 I would like to have a high Gmat score, so it makes me insane.
ex2 I would like to have a high Gmat score, thus it makes me insane.
ex3 I would like to have a high Gmat score, thus making me insane.
ex4 I would like to have a high Gmat score, making me insane.
ex1-ex4 is correct answer, reling on what your emotion is. ;-)
In very formal writting----you can eliminate "thus" that make many people confused, including me. So I really hate this type of question coz readers must be guessed what an auther dream. If you not exactly understand structure of "S+V, thus S+make", you might be confused with relative pronoun. I try to understand many hundred times, before get this insane rule.
(if the question is true, it must answer A)

B. With a law (which a law was)passed in 1933 (that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment) that a United States citizen hold
1.you have double relative pronoun,
2. what " that make it a crime...." modifies" in 1933"or "a law"(but subject is too far),
3.and "it " mean a law. so B is so confused,awkward and weird.

C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
like answer B.

D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
"Mayur".... I agree with your answer that "for" should follow "making it a crime punishable by imprisonment"'. Only my missgiving is that is it double relative pronoun??like answer B. I would like to pick this awswer only if it has a comma behind "in 1933".it is unquestionable for me that choic D is more concise than A and look like the best answer. Finally, I think "nakib 77" must be fallen a comma, when she types this question.

E. Due to a law (which was)being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Because of+ noun
due to + noun
on account of + noun
thanks to+noun
owing to +noun
all of these group are the same function, except "Due to" you must not put before clause. In toefl, it may be right, but not in GMAT
ex1 He succeed due to his indomitalbe will.
ex2 because of/ thanks to/on account of/owing to/ the height of the wall, the house con't be seen from the road.
ex3 It was due to the fog that the rain was delayed. 555
4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:33
fiesta wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they hat to surrender all of the gold they hat brought with them
A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1993 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Please hepl me, thanks!!!

US citizen hold gold in the form of... --> incorrect
US citizen "to hold"/"holding" gold in the form of... --> correct

A, B are out.

C --> modifier problem.. rewrite the setence

immigrants,A law passed in 1993 that made , found that .. they had to surrender ..,
--> means immigrants -- are a law passed in 1993

Between D and E
D) immigrants,Because of a law passed in 1993 ..., found that .. they had to surrender .
--> LOOKS GOOD
E) immigrants,Due to a law being passed in 1993 ..., found that .. they had to surrender . --. No modifer problem but being passed ... always (most of the time) incorrect in GMAT.. strike out.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

7 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Sep 2008, 21:14
Nihit wrote:

B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

I guess its D,

Reverse the sentence to make more sense out of it

immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold gold in the form of bullion or coins.

Clearly because of seems to make more sense here. This SC looks weird because the orig. sentence is sort of reversed. The best way to attack is FLIP THE SENTENCE :)

BTW, I found out this method while I was solving this SC. I did not read this anywhere so don't follow it blindly. Use it at your discretion :)

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Originally posted by amitdgr on 20 Sep 2008, 13:58.
Last edited by amitdgr on 20 Sep 2008, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2008, 22:40
Because of a law passed ... immigrants found that does not make it correct sentence. Same is true with On account of and Due to
Also starting the sentence with Because of creates a subordinate clasue.

The subjunctive mood in B is correct.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS,Yale, British Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2012, 00:39
dont bother urself using those hard grammatical word-subjunctive rules. Try to analyze each sentecnce from OG and try to find a way of answering questions without using hardcore grammar knowledge but using sense and direction.

Let me show u how u can do it.

A. On account of a law
passed in 1993, making
it a crime punishable by
imprisonment that a
United States citizen
hold (wrong because US citizens didn't held pusnishment, they got punishment for holding gold.)
B. With a law passed in
1933 that makes it a
crime punishable by
imprisonment that a
United States citizen
hold
(wrong because of the same reason of A)
C. A law passed in 1933
that made it a crime
punishable by
imprisonment for a
United States citizen
holding ( no realating conjunction is used)
D. Because of a law
passed in 1933 making
it a crime punishable by
imprisonment for a
United States citizen to
hold
E. Due to a law being
passed in 1933 that
makes it a crime
punishable by
imprisonment for a
United States citizen to
hold ( E would be correct if the mention time would be correct.)

Posted from my mobile device
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2012, 03:13
option A and B are wrong because of meaning issue. A law is not hold be US citizen
C is wrong as two independent clauses should be linked by conjunction.
Between D and E...
E is wordy
D correct

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 09:48

INCORRECT PORTIONS UNDERLINED......

A.On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonmentthat a United States citizen hold
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold....CORRECT
9 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2014, 12:11

Modifier,Modifier,Modified Noun(immigrants)
Immigrants , with a law passed.., found that
Main Clause,Main Clause RUNON
Shows stated cause and effect.
Due to ...being

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2014, 00:37
Option (D) has grammatical error:

D. Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

ing modifier modifies immediate noun but it is placed after 1993, further doer of the action is missing.. who is making ?

IMO only option B has no grammatical errors.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 13:37
technocrat wrote:
Because of a law passed ... immigrants found that does not make it correct sentence. Same is true with On account of and Due to
Also starting the sentence with Because of creates a subordinate clasue.

The subjunctive mood in B is correct.

There is no subjunctive mood here, subjunctive mood uses-
Demand/Request/Recommend word +THAT + Subject+ Subjunctive Verb

subjunctive verb is plural.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 22:06
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
uf! this one is very difficult!

I picked A... can we have the OE?

Regarding D, I thought that the use of "Because of" needs a noun after, making D incorrect

Can someone confirm this point?

Thanks

Cheers

Actually the answer to this should be D, and not B (as mentioned by a poster above).

In D, because of is indeed followed by a noun a law.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2014, 02:27

ambiguous, because "making" could refer to "immigrants"
"makes" should be "made"
C. A law (passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding)
fragment
correct usage
awkward
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 13:33
PiyushK wrote:
Option (D) has grammatical error:

ing modifier modifies immediate noun but it is placed after 1993, further doer of the action is missing.. who is making ?

IMO only option B has no grammatical errors.

Verb-ing modifier without a comma modifies the preceding noun or noun phrase. In option D making modifies the noun phrase "law passed in 1993". So it is grammatically correct.
Refer to this very useful post by e-GMAT http://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html?fl=similar

Option B has a number of grammatical errors.
B. With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins
The word "With" requires a doer. Who passed the Law ? and Why did the person/entity passed the Law ?
In the absence of a doer the sentence is incomplete. If we cut through the fluff, this sentence is reduced to:
With a law passed that makes it a crime that a US citizen do something, immigrants found something. - Makes no sense. With and Because are not interchangeable.

Also the law itself is not stated clearly in B - Law that makes it a crime that a US citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins.
The Law is supposed to make it a crime for a US citizen to hold gold.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 01:23

"," is used inappropriately
"that a United States citizen hold" awkwardly modify imprisonment

make the intended meaning of the sentence become unclear, the law passed in 1933 is the reason that immigrants had to surrender all of the gold

run on sentence

correctly express the intended meaning, "because of" logically represent reason for the action in the second clause

"being" is awkward
"due to" is not use appropriately
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 08:40
Can someone tell what is the antecedent of the pronoun 'it' in all the five cases?

It appears that it refers to "holding gold in form of coins or bullions". But holding gold is definitely not a noun.
How can a pronoun refer to something else??
Also if you still support that "holding gold in form of coins or bullions" is the antecedent, in that case, when we substitute back this in the sentence, the sentence sounds very awkward.

Can someone explain?
Expert Post
Top Contributor
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 08:36
Top Contributor
A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold ---- the use of command subjunctive" that US citizen" hold is unwarranted

B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold ---- it gives a feeling as if the immigrants passed the law ---distorted meaning.

C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding --- No connect between the first and the second part due to the lack of a proper connector.

D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold --- the correct choice.

E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold--- 'being passed' -- bad verb tense

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 01:09
fiesta wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them

B. With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1993 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
E. Due to a law being passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

Please hepl me, thanks!!!

I want to add something.
this problem look testing an idiom. but, in fact, I think, it tests us more the difference between "comma+doing" and "doing" than the idiom because this idiom is hard to remember.

look at choice A and D, the difference between them is "comma" before "making". this is the point gmat want us to know. gmat wants us to know the difference between

noun+doing
and
noun+ comma+doing.

in the first, the doing modify the preceding noun (idealy, the noun touch the doing but it dose not need to touch the doing". in the second, the doing modify the whole clause before or after it.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im &nbs [#permalink] 20 Feb 2017, 01:09

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap