It is currently 17 Jan 2018, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 0

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2005, 05:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:52) correct 32% (00:49) wrong based on 358 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

(A) On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

(B) With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

(C) A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding

(D) Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

(E) Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

hey ya......

Last edited by hazelnut on 26 Sep 2017, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 0

Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2005, 03:52
A. 'making it' looks like modifying 'immigrants'.
C. a conjunctive word is missing.
E. 'being' is useless.

Between B and D, I pick D.

The immigrants had to surrender golds BECAUSE OF a law, not WITH a law.

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2005, 06:11
nakib77 wrote:
Q18:
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.
A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

Choice D is the best.
A is not the best because, "for" should follow "making it a crime punishable by imprisonment"'
B is awkward.
C creates a run-in sentence
D - "Due to" means "Caused by" so is not appropriate.

Mayur

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2005, 07:10
D is correct. because is require here to express the cause and effect..........................

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2005, 07:55
Vote for B.

"a crime that a US citizen hold gold..." is better.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2005, 08:16
HIMALAYA wrote:
D is correct. because is require here to express the cause and effect..........................

In addition, is the usage "Due to a law "being" passed in 1933 correct?

Mayur

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2005, 10:55
Mayur wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:

In addition, is the usage "Due to a law "being" passed in 1933 correct?

with some exceptions, the use of bing in GAMT is incorrect...........

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2005, 13:00
I choose D as well.

But OA is B.

Can someone explain it little more detail. why not D?

hey ya......

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2005, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
**************What is the importance of comma?****************
I really hate this question, Could someone explain me???
I will take D in the exam becaues of its concise, but only my doudt is......

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, thus officers making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
In ETS---structure is " s+v, thus s+v " (cause-effect)
ex1 I would like to have a high Gmat score, so it makes me insane.
ex2 I would like to have a high Gmat score, thus it makes me insane.
ex3 I would like to have a high Gmat score, thus making me insane.
ex4 I would like to have a high Gmat score, making me insane.
ex1-ex4 is correct answer, reling on what your emotion is. ;-)
In very formal writting----you can eliminate "thus" that make many people confused, including me. So I really hate this type of question coz readers must be guessed what an auther dream. If you not exactly understand structure of "S+V, thus S+make", you might be confused with relative pronoun. I try to understand many hundred times, before get this insane rule.
(if the question is true, it must answer A)

B. With a law (which a law was)passed in 1933 (that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment) that a United States citizen hold
1.you have double relative pronoun,
2. what " that make it a crime...." modifies" in 1933"or "a law"(but subject is too far),
3.and "it " mean a law. so B is so confused,awkward and weird.

C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
like answer B.

D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
"Mayur".... I agree with your answer that "for" should follow "making it a crime punishable by imprisonment"'. Only my missgiving is that is it double relative pronoun??like answer B. I would like to pick this awswer only if it has a comma behind "in 1933".it is unquestionable for me that choic D is more concise than A and look like the best answer. Finally, I think "nakib 77" must be fallen a comma, when she types this question.

E. Due to a law (which was)being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Because of+ noun
due to + noun
on account of + noun
thanks to+noun
owing to +noun
all of these group are the same function, except "Due to" you must not put before clause. In toefl, it may be right, but not in GMAT
ex1 He succeed due to his indomitalbe will.
ex2 because of/ thanks to/on account of/owing to/ the height of the wall, the house con't be seen from the road.
ex3 It was due to the fog that the rain was delayed. 555

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2005, 17:26
Hi,

when you send in an exmaple, havent u got the answers?

it would help all of us...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2005, 17:44
The participle "making" starts a dangling modifier which incorrectly modifies the "law". Therefore the only possible solution is B. That's my pick!

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2005, 00:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I checked the same question in the Test Magic Forum, which gives D as the OA.
You can refer the thread: -
http://www.urch.com/forums/showthread.p ... light=1933

Mayur

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [2], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

(B) With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

(C) A law passed in 1993 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding

(D) Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

(E) Due to a law being passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

Last edited by hazelnut on 28 Aug 2017, 23:30, edited 5 times in total.
Grammar Error & Style

Kudos [?]: 57 [2], given: 2

4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1123 [4], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fiesta wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they hat to surrender all of the gold they hat brought with them
A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1993 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Please hepl me, thanks!!!

US citizen hold gold in the form of... --> incorrect
US citizen "to hold"/"holding" gold in the form of... --> correct

A, B are out.

C --> modifier problem.. rewrite the setence

immigrants,A law passed in 1993 that made , found that .. they had to surrender ..,
--> means immigrants -- are a law passed in 1993

Between D and E
D) immigrants,Because of a law passed in 1993 ..., found that .. they had to surrender .
--> LOOKS GOOD
E) immigrants,Due to a law being passed in 1993 ..., found that .. they had to surrender . --. No modifer problem but being passed ... always (most of the time) incorrect in GMAT.. strike out.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1123 [4], given: 5

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1123 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 06:51
fiesta wrote:
Thank x2suresh, I agree with you, I went with D. But the OA* is B. It makes me so confused.

No way B is correct.. I bet...What is the source of this question?
B has modifer problem too..
immigrants,With a law passed in 1993 .., found that .. they had to surrender .
--> suggest that ---> immigrants with a law passed... (immigrants has law.. with them..)..
hmmm how come this is correct..???? unless if I am missing something..

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1123 [0], given: 5

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:00
x2suresh wrote:
fiesta wrote:
Thank x2suresh, I agree with you, I went with D. But the OA* is B. It makes me so confused.

No way B is correct.. I bet...What is the source of this question?
B has modifer problem too..
immigrants,With a law passed in 1993 .., found that .. they had to surrender .
--> suggest that ---> immigrants with a law passed... (immigrants has law.. with them..)..
hmmm how come this is correct..???? unless if I am missing something..

OA is actually D: 11-t58377

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 12:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED

B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 12:50
Because of ...., immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

and

Due to ..., immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

sounds good to me. I would go with the first one out of this two as
Quote:
because
is better, I feel.

My choice - D.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

4 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 745 [4], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 12:58
This post received
KUDOS
Nihit wrote:

I guess its D,

Reverse the sentence to make more sense out of it

immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold gold in the form of bullion or coins.

Clearly because of seems to make more sense here. This SC looks weird because the orig. sentence is sort of reversed. The best way to attack is FLIP THE SENTENCE :)

BTW, I found out this method while I was solving this SC. I did not read this anywhere so don't follow it blindly. Use it at your discretion :)

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Last edited by amitdgr on 20 Sep 2008, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 745 [4], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2008, 14:53
OA is B for some obscure reason. I wonder how ?

Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2008, 14:53

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap