Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:41 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [28]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28576 [8]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [2]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28576 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: One of the claims of laissez-faire economics is that increasing the mi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Akela wrote:
Great explanation!
You mentioned that this question doesn't have the feel of a GMAT CR argument. Is it because it tests the principle behind the argument?

Dear Akela,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I would say that this question, like many LSAT LR questions, leans toward formal logic, toward philosophical categorical statements ("If all these X are true, then Y is false"). I don't know how much classic philosophy you have read, say, Aristotle or Kant. The categorical statements in this LR question have the ring of classic philosophical writings, and the LSAT definitely leans in that direction.

By contrast, the GMAT CR is eminently practical, because the business world is practical. Business people don't care about philosophical statements. They care about where the rubber meets the road. They care about what motivates people to buy or sell, what causes money to change hands. The focus in most GMAT CR concerns real people making real choices, or real factors impinging on real decisions. In fact, the more you understand the push-and-pull of real world business decisions, the more the GMAT CR will make sense to you. See:
GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: One of the claims of laissez-faire economics is that increasing the mi [#permalink]
One of the claims of laissez-faire economics is that increasing the minimum wage reduces the total number of minimumwage jobs available. In a recent study, however, it was found that after an increase in the minimum wage, fast-food restaurants kept on roughly the same number of minimum-wage employees as before the increase. Therefore, laissez-faire economics is not entirely accurate.
Type - Assumption

(A) If laissez-faire economics makes an incorrect prediction about the minimum wage, then all the doctrines of laissez-faire economics are inaccurate. - Incorrect - too extreme as we are generalizing all based on one

(B) Minimum-wage job availability at fast-food restaurants included in the study was representative of minimum-wage job availability in general. - Correct - negate this and the argument falls apart

(C) No study has ever found that a business has decreased the number of its minimum-wage employees after an increase in the minimum wage. - Incorrect- No study is too extreme - even if atleast one study has found , it does not affect the argument

(D) The fast-food restaurants included in the study did not increase the average wage paid to employees. - Irrelevant - we are only concerned about minimum wage and not average wage

(E) The national unemployment rate did not increase following the increase in the minimum wage. - Out of scope - we are only concerned about min wage here

Answer B
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [5]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos