Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [4]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Opponents of the proposed water desalination plant cite [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
tarunanandani wrote:
Opponents of the proposed water desalination plant cite the environmental impact and the tremendous cost as being reasons not to approve the plan.

A. as being reasons not to
B. to be reasons not to
C. as if they were reasons not to
D. for reasons that they should not
E. as reasons not to

This question is based on Idiomatic Usage and Construction.

The verb ‘cite’ in the sentence indicates idiomatic usage. The appropriate idiomatic expression is “cite X as Y”.
In this sentence, the appropriate expression would be - cite the environmental impact and the tremendous cost as Y not to approve the plan. ‘Y’ should be replaced by a noun.

On the basis of idiomatic usage, Options B and D can be ruled out as neither option contains the conjunction ‘as’.

Option A contains the redundant participle ‘being’ after the conjunction ‘as’. The appropriate expression is cite X as Y. ‘Y’ should be a noun, not a participle. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option C has an awkward construction because of the placement of a conditional clause “if they were reasons not to” after the conjunction ‘as’. The phrase “as if” generally indicates an improbable situation. Since there is no such meaning intended, Option C can be eliminated. This option also contains an ambiguous pronoun ‘they’.

Option E contains the appropriate idiomatic usage – cite…….as reasons. Therefore, E is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
tarunanandani wrote:
Opponents of the proposed water desalination plant cite the environmental impact and the tremendous cost as being reasons not to approve the plan.

A. as being reasons not to
B. to be reasons not to
C. as if they were reasons not to
D. for reasons that they should not
E. as reasons not to

Consider X as Y is correct idiomatic usage, hence answer must be (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Opponents of the proposed water desalination plant cite [#permalink]
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The idiom “x is cited as y” can also be phrased “cite x as y,” as in this sentence. However, the original sentence incorrectly introduces the unnecessary verb “being.” (A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) This choice does not use the correct idiom “cite x as y,” instead introducing the unidiomatic form “cite x to be y.”
(C) This choice does not use the correct idiom “cite x as y,” instead introducing the unidiomatic form “cite x as if they were y.” In addition, the phrase “as if they were” properly refers only to hypothetical situations rather than the concrete example in this sentence.
(D) This choice does not use the correct idiom “cite x as y,” instead introducing
the unidiomatic form “cite x for y.” In addition, the phrasing “that they should not” is unnecessarily more wordy than “not to.”
(E) CORRECT. This choice uses the correct idiom “cite x as y.”
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts