Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 13:25 It is currently 06 May 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Send PM
Re: New Member and the Ultimate Study Plan I have put together. [#permalink]
This is what some one would say an ideal study plan.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks ksp that was my goal when I was researching and putting together my plan of attack.

Also, in addition to using this thread as a journal of my progress and experiences, I will also be posting reviews of the books as I work through them and updates/details to the study plan as I get into the meat of it after I get through these two Foundations books.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I plan on starting now and taking my test in February. I was curious on how much time you are devoting (planning) on studying a week for prep and how you are balancing topics week to week?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@rstaha: Right now I am just getting started and working my way through the Foundations books, so I would say I don't really study for more that 1-2hrs a day, and its not very intense. In fact I wouldn't even call is studying, more like reviewing and refreshing since I already know all this stuff and just want tor remind myself of it to make sure I have a solid base to continue to build on once I get into the main books.

When I get to the 8 guides and the OGs I plan on bumping up study time to 2-3hrs a day, and 4hrs on weekends. Haven't yet thought how I am going to structure the actual progression through the topics, the options are to do Math first and then Verbal (as is suggested in many places on this site and others) OR to do a mix of both Math and Verbal each week so that both stay fresh in my head throughout the study process (at the moment I am leaning towards the latter however, but it could change; I will be sure to update once I decide on one route or the other).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Finished Chapter 4 (Divisibility) last night. Still nothing earth shattering but I feel this was the most useful chapter thus far. If you don't know Prime Factorization, LEARN IT!

STUDY NOTE: Memorize all prime number between 0 and 100.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Finished Chapter 5 (Exponents and Roots) just now. Very simple, but again very good review. Again, if there is a lesson to be learned here its Prime Factorization. Know it cold, as it can be applied in numerous situations.

Will try to get through Chapter 6 tonight.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, its been a very productive day. I ended up finishing two more chapters tonight. Ch. 6 (Fractions) and Ch.7 (Fractions, Decimals, and Percents).

Hope to finish the last two chapters in the book and get started on Foundations of Verbal this weekend. Pretty pleased that it will have taken only 4 days to read every single page and perform every single problem in the book, regardless of how easy they were. Shoot, at this rate I may be able to finish Verbal before I head on vacation next Friday (and I wasn't aiming on completing that until Dec. 21st). So moving right along:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Very similar plan to mine, the MGMAT foundation and strat guides have been great so far!

I took the first MGMAT as a filler one month ago and I will be taking the second MGMAT Saturday the 19th.

GL and will be checking on your updates
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Unforseen how did you choose to structure your studies after the two Foundations books? Are you just going in order, ie starting with book 1 and moving through to book 8 in the Strat guides, or are you trying a bit of math and verbal each week?

I am still making up my mind on how to proceed on this front and would appreciate the input. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You can check how I've done it so far in my review in my signature but I recommend the following:

Go through chapters 1 - 8 in MGMAT foundations before moving to Math strat guides 1 - 4. an MGMAT rep here recommended another strategy I didn't like because honestly the material in ch 1 - 8 overlaps all over the place in guides 1 - 4.

As for the strategy guide orders, I would recommend Number Properties followed by E, I VICs, then FDP, and finally Word Translations. Make sure you leave WT for last.

I'm doing Geometry this weekend, and from what I've seen this section is on its own. What I mean by this is that you can do it before everything else (do chapter 9 Foundations followed by the geometry strat guide) or last.

As for verbal, I'm learning from my math review errors and doing all the foundations book before moving to the strat guides. My order of guides will be SC, CR, and finally RC. I read news articles and reports all the time at work so I complement my verbal all the time.

Finally I subscribed to the daily questions from the forum which I'm doing at work every morning.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ok based on what you've done, finish chapter 8 and move to the strat guides. finish the guides then do chapter 9 followed by geometry strat guide. That is my recommendation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great, thanks for the input. My approach is a little different in that I am doing both Foundations of Math and Verbal before getting into the Strategy Guides. I am just trying to figure out if I want to segregate Math and Verbal once I actually get to the Strategy Guides or if I want to do a mix of both Math and Verbal guides on a weekly basis. Oh well, I'll figure it out. I still have loads of time and am making much faster progress, than anticipated; so at this point I am pretty happy:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just started the foundations of verbal while I finish the math guides. Its impossible to tell what the optimal strategy is and it depends heavily on the time you can put per week.

I'm concentrating more on Quant over verbal on my journey
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yea, I definitely agree with that. It just depends on each individual and how they learn best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Finished Ch. 8 (Inequalities and Absolute Values). Still very easy, but the refresher on absolute values was very much a needed one. One more long chapter to go and I am done with this book and on to Verbal!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Finished Ch. 9 (Geometry) at last. This was a great review of the geometry rules I had tried to so hard to forget since middle school (I hated geometry!). Moving right along to Foundations of Verbal tomorrow. I will also post a holistic review of Foundations of Math if I have time tomorrow.

Originally posted by adavydov7 on 14 Nov 2011, 21:45.
Last edited by adavydov7 on 15 Nov 2011, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'm not sure how you could score poorly with that study plan. Very comprehensive. Just remember to be disciplined and stick to a schedule and you'll definitely do well.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2