Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:19 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: 660 to a... 680 :-( [#permalink]
novanative wrote:
Sorry to hear,

but I don't think the business schools care so much about what company you work for and those you previously worked at as much as what things you picked up in those jobs.

As for test taking times, that's up to personal preference to be honest, and most exams are at 8 AM and I think the later times go away that much quicker. I took my 1st GMAT at 4 PM and will take my 2nd one at 2 PM, but that's because I want an afternoon test and prefer a later exam time. If you wake up consistently at 6 in the morning, then go for the 8 AM exam. If it was me, I may bomb it because I don't like waking up that early, and I start work at 10 AM. For me, the nearest test center is 40 miles away, so it would require me to be up at least three hours before the exam, or in other words, I have to wake up at 5 AM or so to eat, get ready, and commute there.

I think the migraine may have been a bigger factor than what time you took the exam, but if you take it at noon, depending on what time you wake up, you want to make sure you eat a couple hours before the exam, so you won't feel hungry during most of the test, and also make sure that you don't have to take a piss every 15 minutes if you drink a lot of coffee on most mornings.

Most schools don't care how many times you take the exam, especially considering that you aren't applying for Fall 2012. However, if they see that you're getting several scores in the same range and always score there, they will think you maxed out at a certain point, and if your essays and other parts of your application are worse, then that won't look good either.

good luck with the next exam

True, test time depends on personal preference. I know I would wake up every morning at 5am to study, and start my commute at 7. I've always found it easier to concentrate first thing in the morning.

I know admission into these programs doesn't rely solely on which companies you've worked for... but since I don't have a prestigious undergrad I think it would count a bit more. I haven't gone through one of the rigorous selection processes to get into either an ivy league or a big consulting firm. Although I've done very well and moved up in every job I've had, and I'll have great recommendations, I think it may be too many strikes against me before I get to tell adcoms my story.

I know a big reason behind my score was my inability to focus due to being sick. Also, being sick stressed me out, brought my confidence down, and just hurt my overall preformance. I was a mess.

I set out with a goal of at least 700 (but secretly 740). Although I know I haven't hit the highest I can score, there is always a chance I dont break 700 again... so I guess I need to figure out if the risk of scoring under 700 for a 3rd time is worth it.

Originally posted by highwyre237 on 12 Dec 2011, 05:14.
Last edited by highwyre237 on 12 Dec 2011, 06:23, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
sandeeepsharma wrote:
680 is a good score but yeah not very competitive for good B schools

yeah 680 (85th percentile) will get you into a great school if you have a strong undergrad and work experience... I cant afford another strike against me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
When I looked at the first sentence of your post it gave me a sense of happiness to see that you had progressed but the sad smiley told me that you are not completely happy. :( Please don't be disheartened. I am just out of college and still preparing for my first GMAT attempt but I must tell you that when I attended the GMAT fair organized by GMAC, I sat for discussions with various schools and there were many who raised questions about the impression that giving more than 2 attempts creates on the minds of the people on the selection board. You would be surprised to know that some of experts mentioned that it is not necessarily something that would weaken your application, especially if your scores have risen with each attempt.It shows that you have the patience, perseverance and endurance,it puts the impression out that you have the will and strength to achieve what you had set out to do.

Coming to your concerns about experience, I should tell you that I am currently unemployed,and straight out of college so I wanted to make sure that I gather the kind of experience that the top schools expect from a candidate. So more often than anything else, I asked them what they preferred- excellent experience in an average company or average(or even good) experience in an excellent company, and almost every single time the reply I got was that its what the candidate does that matters to them more than what the organization he worked for does. After all its you who's getting the MBA and not your firm. Its great people who make great companies, and not necessarily the other way round.

In my opinion, if you aren't happy with your scores, you should give it another shot, especially when you know you are already almost there. You made the effort, you deserve the result, just don't let your dream slip by.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
I don't know about your application deadline situation. However if you have time would suggest to study for 1 or even 2 months to get to 720.

680 is 80%ile and 720 is 95%ile a big gap - you are beating the masses that you are supposed to beat to get a seat.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
ijoshi wrote:

So more often than anything else, I asked them what they preferred- excellent experience in an average company or average(or even good) experience in an excellent company, and almost every single time the reply I got was that its what the candidate does that matters to them more than what the organization he worked for does. After all its you who's getting the MBA and not your firm. Its great people who make great companies, and not necessarily the other way round.

Its the way things should be however the reality is different. If you work in an excellent company - it already signals to the B School that you are a filtered candidate. Working at a no name company in an bad profile signals the opposite.
People starting their careers are inavriably given limited opportunities and roles and hence its very difficult to get differntiated on the basis of work alone. Do you wonder why they bring - GMAT/GPA/Extra -curriculars in the picture ?
Not trying to discourage you - just calling - spade a spade.
Director
Director
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
I don't know about your application deadline situation. However if you have time would suggest to study for 1 or even 2 months to get to 720.

680 is 80%ile and 720 is 95%ile a big gap - you are beating the masses that you are supposed to beat to get a seat.

I still have time. I'm applying for fall of 2013, so I still have a full year in some cases. Planned on R2 of this year at first, but next year made more sense for me.
Director
Director
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
ijoshi wrote:

So more often than anything else, I asked them what they preferred- excellent experience in an average company or average(or even good) experience in an excellent company, and almost every single time the reply I got was that its what the candidate does that matters to them more than what the organization he worked for does. After all its you who's getting the MBA and not your firm. Its great people who make great companies, and not necessarily the other way round.

Its the way things should be however the reality is different. If you work in an excellent company - it already signals to the B School that you are a filtered candidate. Working at a no name company in an bad profile signals the opposite.
People starting their careers are inavriably given limited opportunities and roles and hence its very difficult to get differntiated on the basis of work alone. Do you wonder why they bring - GMAT/GPA/Extra -curriculars in the picture ?
Not trying to discourage you - just calling - spade a spade.

Its true. People who do well in high school go to top colleges, people who do well in top colleges got to top companies, people who go to top companies go to top B-Schools.

Those of us without that story need to stand out a bit more in other areas. I've worked for great companies, but not the best of the best. I went to a decent school, but not one of the best. I did very well on my GMAT, but I'm not in the top 90%. So... why would I assume I could make one of the best schools?

I ma be wrong, but I think someone with this type of background needs a great gmat score, so atleast adcom takes notice and gives that applicant a chance to tell their story.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts