Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:41 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: 760- This peaceful, easy feeling, GMATClub material rocks! [#permalink]
PTK wrote:
Great job Santanu,
my congs!

I am wondering why MiF and not MBA at LBS?
Is is any difference (except for $)?
Is MiF considered more prestigious in finance world than an MBA? Or given that it is LBS it does not matter?

thansk

Hi PTK

Thanks!

I already have around 7 years of experience post MBA and am a VP at an investment firm. I plan to do my MIF because I want to explore specific buyside oppotunities in AMCs or hedge funds outside of India - in Europe, Singapore or HK. Given my relevant experience and given the concentration of the MIF .course on specific opportunities in Finance for people like me, I believe MIF is a better option for me. Of course, at this stage of my career, a one year course would be ideal for me and less dollars, clearly, would be a bonus...:)

Cheers

Santanu

Santanu76 wrote:
sunneysood wrote:
Congrats for your great score !!
Which schools are u targets ?
All the best for ur applications

Thanks Sunney!

I am targeting the Masters in Finance course at the London Business School.

How are your GMAT peps going?

Santanu
Send PM
sunneysood wrote:
My first attempt at GMAT was a lowly 600(44,29)..I have started again with Verbal and plan to retake in next 2-3 months..so I am mostly out of 2012 admission rounds..

Okay, I think the quants score can be improved a couple of points through more practice and employing the right strategies. On verbals, have you had a look at the e-GMAT course?

Santanu
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Santanu76 wrote:
sunneysood wrote:
My first attempt at GMAT was a lowly 600(44,29)..I have started again with Verbal and plan to retake in next 2-3 months..so I am mostly out of 2012 admission rounds..

Okay, I think the quants score can be improved a couple of points through more practice and employing the right strategies. On verbals, have you had a look at the e-GMAT course?

Santanu

I was actually doing well in Verbal and not so in Quant but over work/stress did me in..I wanted to do too well and lack of sleep had full effect..I remember almost waking up to time of 10 mins and 8 questions left in verbal..

I have decided to go back to basics..I am studing SC using Aristrotle SC Grail and then I plan to restudy MGMAT SC guide..I plan to do OG 10, 11 and 12 questions and then I will take a MGMAT test to check my progress..If i don't improve I will take e-gmat but I hope I don't need it :)
Send PM
sunneysood wrote:
Santanu76 wrote:
sunneysood wrote:

Santanu

I was actually doing well in Verbal and not so in Quant but over work/stress did me in..I wanted to do too well and lack of sleep had full effect..I remember almost waking up to time of 10 mins and 8 questions left in verbal..

Santanu:

I hear you. I have a friend who had a similar experience. Is very strong in English but mistimed his verbal section, panicked and got a 27. Am sure you will get the score you deserve this time.

I had attended a number of e-GMAT free sessions and found them to be structured, organised and pretty helpful. Probably, you could have a look at the free sessions to get a feel?

I have decided to go back to basics..I am studing SC using Aristrotle SC Grail and then I plan to restudy MGMAT SC guide..I plan to do OG 10, 11 and 12 questions and then I will take a MGMAT test to check my progress..If i don't improve I will take e-gmat but I hope I don't need it :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Let me check out the free videos and questions for e-gmat..will keep you posted ..

A question for you : What do you think about the present job market esp in Europe for a Finance Grad? I started with MBA programme search but I am more inclined towards a Masters in Finance (with high quant)..I have IT background with 5+ years work exp..
Send PM
sunneysood wrote:
Let me check out the free videos and questions for e-gmat..will keep you posted ..

A question for you : What do you think about the present job market esp in Europe for a Finance Grad? I started with MBA programme search but I am more inclined towards a Masters in Finance (with high quant)..I have IT background with 5+ years work exp..

Sunney

The current financial situation in Europe is, indeed, concerning. Markets and resultantly, the job situation, could get even worse in the next six months. Precisely why now could be a good time to do an MBA I think. This scenario, however grim it looks now, shall not last forever, and in the next couple of years, the financial markets should improve from here.

On the MBA vs Masters in Finance question, I think an MBA makes sense if you want to do a pure switch from IT to Finance. The MIF seems to be geared more towards oldies like my humble self, with some financial experience already under their belts. However, if you do get admission to a good MIF course in the US or Europe, it could be a good option both in terms of dollars and time.

Santanu
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [5]
Send PM
GMAT 760: Things they told you to do, but I didn't... [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hello again folks!

I have already added my debrief after scoring a 760 here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html.

Have decided to add another discussion thread, capturing some more random thoughts, once the bubbly excitement of a 760 score has settled down now.

So here goes:

Things they tell you to do, but I didn't:

- Take no tests in the last few days, just revise:

I had taken 3 full tests in the last 3 days leading to the GMAT - this was primarily because I had set myself a timeframe of only 10 days for my second attempt as I was going on vacation after that and it was not possible to take the GMAT later. Also, for me specifically, getting accustomed to the test taking mindset just prior to the actual test works - keeps me mentally agile and on my toes. I think, given the more than one month of inaction after my first attempt, taking a host of tests leading into the G-day helped me get over my rustiness.

- Always include the AWAs in your mock tests:

In all my mock tests, I have never, ever done that. A 4 hour ordeal, including the one hour taken for the AWAs, would have been very stressful and would not have allowed me to take 5 practice tests in the last 7 days. Despite many pieces of advice to the contrary, I believe that, for people who are comfortable expressing themselves cogently in English, leaving out the AWA sections during the practice tests could actually be beneficial. In fact, in the actual test, writing the two AWAs in a relaxed mode helped me enter the quants section in a comfortable frame of mind.

- Maintain an error log:

I have never maintained an error log, though I have revised my incorrect solutions post taking a mock test in detail. Revising the problems that I got wrong and those that I got right accidentally have been very helpful in improving my overall accuracy and performance. However, I am not a very organized person by nature and maintaining an error log of all questions I had gotten wrong across all mock tests would have been too tall a mountain to climb. For me, learning from my mistakes after taking a mock test largely offset the need for a specific error log.

- Take your time when going through the RC passages, and take detailed notes:

Well, this strategy did not work for me. It led to significant time leakage and did not improve my accuracy. For me, quickly browsing through the passages to have an overall idea of the structure (occasionally spending a bit more time on sentences that are more dificult to comprehend) and then diving into the requisite portion when answering a specific question worked better than taking detailed notes. It ensured that I spent time on questions that actually needed spending more time on.

I must mention here that many other pieces of advice here at the forum have been real gems and have helped me achieve the score I have.

A couple of key ones are:

- Keep track of time - give yourself a minute max to evaluate whether you can solve the problem - if you think you cannot, make an educated guess if possible else a random one, and MOVE ON!

This worked like a dream for me - I had spent more time than I should have on some obstinate quant problems and ended up with a rushed and panicked quant score of 48 in my first attempt - followed the advice to the tee the next time and got a sweet 50 on the next attempt.

- The problem sets on DS and PS by Bunuel, strategies, tips and solutions by Walker and Bunuel:

A mere thank you is not enough to express how much the problems and solutions have helped me. To all ye future test takers - please go through these freely-available documents and include them in your test prps.

- The various verbal threads, verbal guides by Whiplash, Gayathri, TestMagic, RC guide by Rhyme etc:

Apart from the Manhattan SC guide, these documents and discussion threads were invaluable - had gone through all these documents and the SC, CR and RC discussion threads on GMATCLub. Would have, without doubt, gotten a lower verbal score if I had not gone through them.

Cheers and wish you a very happy new year!

Santanu

Originally posted by Santanu76 on 31 Dec 2011, 02:51.
Last edited by Santanu76 on 03 Jan 2012, 00:18, edited 6 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: GMAT 760: Things they told you not to do, but that worked... [#permalink]
great advice, I also haven't done the AWA section in my mock tests, will do that from now on. Congrats on your score.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you - I tend to agree with many of them (except the RC one - it worked for me much better to read the entire passage in detail).

Also, how many probability/combination questions did you encounter during your test? Was it worth in your opinion to study all the higher end questions? (I have recently seen some theories that it is not worth spending much time on probability, combinations, statistics, and other high end 700+ questions, so I am curious how true that is... I actually did not study these fields as they were not covered in the Kaplan Math Workbook and of course I got a probability question on my test that I could not answer.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hey if you still have them, could you post the links to the following things:

- The problem sets on DS and PS by Bunuel, strategies, tips and solutions by Walker and Bunuel, especially on probability:
- The various verbal threads, by Whiplash, Gayathri, TestMagic, RC guide by Rhyme etc:
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thank you - I tend to agree with many of them (except the RC one - it worked for me much better to read the entire passage in detail).

Also, how many probability/combination questions did you encounter during your test? Was it worth in your opinion to study all the higher end questions? (I have recently seen some theories that it is not worth spending much time on probability, combinations, statistics, and other high end 700+ questions, so I am curious how true that is... I actually did not study these fields as they were not covered in the Kaplan Math Workbook and of course I got a probability question on my test that I could not answer.)

Santanu:

I encountered only one or two probability / combination questions. But working on the practice problems helped boost my confidence that I can handle them if I happen to meet them on test day. And this confidence helped me attack the quants section boldly, I think. Also, for me, specifically, working on the probability / combination problems helped me use my 'little grey cells', as Hercule Poirot would have said, and keep them well oiled. Also, I was making a number of errors on DS problems. Using Bunuel's approach to solve DS problems in number theory, inequality, modulus, geometry and probability / combinations from his DS problems set helped a great deal in improving my DS accuracy.
Send PM
BN1989 wrote:
great advice, I also haven't done the AWA section in my mock tests, will do that from now on. Congrats on your score.

Thanks and welcome!

Regarding AWAs, I honestly feel that, if one is comfortable with writing in English, one need not include the two AWAs in each mock test he or she takes, but that's my opinion only....

Santanu
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
topspin330 wrote:
hey if you still have them, could you post the links to the following things:

- The problem sets on DS and PS by Bunuel, strategies, tips and solutions by Walker and Bunuel, especially on probability:
- The various verbal threads, by Whiplash, Gayathri, TestMagic, RC guide by Rhyme etc:

Pls go through this link: download.php

This link contains GMATClub resources, and has links to all downloadable documents.

Santanu
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
whoever told you to take detailed RC notes is crazy

nonetheess, good job man!
Send PM
Unforseen wrote:
whoever told you to take detailed RC notes is crazy

nonetheess, good job man!

Well, then ManhattanGMAT staff and most other experts out here would be crazy, going by that definition given most advise students to take one's time the first time one reads an RC passage and take detailed 'short-hand' notes. 'Detailed RC notes' does not mean writing out paragraphs of notes, but jotting down most key datapoints.

Cheers

Santanu
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi Santanu,

First of all congrats for the phenomenal score.
I would like to know how tough was the Maths section as compared to your practice tests.

And did you find any idioms questions in the SC?

BR
Mandeep
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
samramandy wrote:
Hi Santanu,

First of all congrats for the phenomenal score.
I would like to know how tough was the Maths section as compared to your practice tests.

And did you find any idioms questions in the SC?

BR
Mandeep

Hi Mandeep

The first time I took my GMAT (730, 48q, 42v), I found the quants section tougher than GMATPrep quants. I think that was partly the luck of the draw given I seemed to have gotten at least 3-4 tough geometry and coordinate geometry problems. Also, I think my quant prep was undercooked the first time around and my strategy flawed.

The second time (760, 50q, 42v), the questions seemed easier and more inline with GMATPrep quant, with only one or two weird problems for which I promptly guessed and moved on. My DS preparation was better plus I had decided that I would skip problems that I did not understand - I had wasted time during my first GMAT.

In sum: I think it was a 50:50 mix the second time: The questions I got were relatively simpler and on expected lines - also, I was better prepared and had a sound strategy.

Santanu
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts