Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 08:54 It is currently 01 May 2024, 08:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 376 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: A tough Journey from 520 to 730 [#permalink]
cvsmech,
Thankyou so much for taking time to write such a detailed reply. Your post was very helpful and encouraging :).I will definetly start working on the OG problems. I also like your idea of writing down examples.It's definetely a great approach.
So I did google SC1000. I found all the questions but can't seem to find the answers :(. Oh and before I forget, what did you do with the Idiom chapter in Mgmat SC? Did you memorize all of them? Did you come across a lot of those on G day? Do let me know.

Again, thank you for all your help. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
congrtaz on you score :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks for sharing
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Eagerly waiting for reply from cvsmech!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Deat cvsmech,

My hearty Congragulations on your sucess!!! :-D
I am planning to give my GMAT on March 14...
Can you please throw some light on SC 1000...
I am not able to find the solutions or explanations for SC1000

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Shampatwardhan,

Been really busy with work and business. I guess I am too late to reply. Hope you had enough time to review your mistakes.

Be confident and do well on your GMAT tomorrow.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kashishh wrote:
congrats cvsmech and all the best towards applications - admission.
i belong to math background, perhaps this is the reason i find it difficult to focus on verbal sec
SC questions , i find them very tough, always chosing wrong one. i m using MGMAT SC.
to create interest with passage reading(RC) and critical reasoning is more difficult.
i appreciate your suggestion, if anything else could be added by you will be nice,

thanx

Kashish,

Thank you.

I understand how you feel. You can improve SC a lot with practice and make sure you review your mistakes. And you know one thing I did was that I tried to find my own mistakes on my own before checking the official explanation. Doing so helped me finding mistakes in answer choices and therefore eliminating those choices.

I was good at pretending that I wanted to learn about criminology or what not for RC because it helped me to learn more about the subject and always pay attention to key words such as however, on the contrary, etc. Try to write important dates and names.

Most importantly, your confidence on the exam day or during the practice exam plays a big role in your performance. So be sure to practice enough so that you feel confident about the exam before you take it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aisha12 wrote:
cvsmech,
Thankyou so much for taking time to write such a detailed reply. Your post was very helpful and encouraging :).I will definetly start working on the OG problems. I also like your idea of writing down examples.It's definetely a great approach.
So I did google SC1000. I found all the questions but can't seem to find the answers :(. Oh and before I forget, what did you do with the Idiom chapter in Mgmat SC? Did you memorize all of them? Did you come across a lot of those on G day? Do let me know.

Np. I'm glad I could help.

I didn't study the idiom chapters at all and it was a good decision to ignore it altogether. Anyway, I didn't see any question that required the knowledge of idioms anyway.

Check your inbox!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
cvsmech wrote:
aisha12 wrote:
cvsmech,

Np. I'm glad I could help.

I didn't study the idiom chapters at all and it was a good decision to ignore it altogether. Anyway, I didn't see any question that required the knowledge of idioms anyway.

Check your inbox!!!

got it, thankyou!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1211 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Awesome Man! An inspitational story after long. Just started pumping blood in my veins due to similarity of score of 620 earlier I guess. BOL

I am huge fan of SC1000 though have been ridiculed of using them. You reinforced my belief.

I suck at RC. Is Kaplan’s Mastery the LSAT really effective in improving RC? I mean you mentioned that it helped but I would like to know how much improvement did you felt after going through this book and how much time did you spent in wrapping up this book. Is there another book which I should consider for practising RC?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
joshnsit wrote:
Awesome Man! An inspitational story after long. Just started pumping blood in my veins due to similarity of score of 620 earlier I guess. BOL

I am huge fan of SC1000 though have been ridiculed of using them. You reinforced my belief.

I suck at RC. Is Kaplan’s Mastery the LSAT really effective in improving RC? I mean you mentioned that it helped but I would like to know how much improvement did you felt after going through this book and how much time did you spent in wrapping up this book. Is there another book which I should consider for practising RC?

Haha, thanks. Are you planning a re-take as well?

Kaplan's book helped me in improving my focus. I noticed that in RC I was doing worse in the biology and sociology passages. over the period of time, I improved on biology passages because GMAT usually used the same terminology in all the passages that I practiced. Kaplan's book helped me stay up while reading (boring) passages on law, sociology, criminology. Some of the questions are very tricky and it helps you shape your brain to tackle GMAT RC questions well. After doing those passages, I found GMAT passages were much easier. I hope it helps you as well if you plan on using it. But remember, one size doesn't fit all and you might not find it as useful as I did.

Time: There were about 4 sections in the book with about 9 passages in each sections, each passage was 60 lines long and had about 6-7 questions. I did a passage from each section every day and I was able to finish it in 9 days (9 different days, not 9 days in a row).

Another book: I did OG 10, 11 and 12 and verbal review 2nd edition other than Kaplans. For me that was more than enough. But if you wanna practice more, RC99 isn't bad either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1211 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
cvsmech wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

Haha, thanks. Are you planning a re-take as well?

Kaplan's book helped me in improving my focus. I noticed that in RC I was doing worse in the biology and sociology passages. over the period of time, I improved on biology passages because GMAT usually used the same terminology in all the passages that I practiced. Kaplan's book helped me stay up while reading (boring) passages on law, sociology, criminology. Some of the questions are very tricky and it helps you shape your brain to tackle GMAT RC questions well. After doing those passages, I found GMAT passages were much easier. I hope it helps you as well if you plan on using it. But remember, one size doesn't fit all and you might not find it as useful as I did.

Time: There were about 4 sections in the book with about 9 passages in each sections, each passage was 60 lines long and had about 6-7 questions. I did a passage from each section every day and I was able to finish it in 9 days (9 different days, not 9 days in a row).

Another book: I did OG 10, 11 and 12 and verbal review 2nd edition other than Kaplans. For me that was more than enough. But if you wanna practice more, RC99 isn't bad either.

Hey cvsmech
I am definitely planning. GMAT has proved to be the biggest mental block. So I have to get over it. he he

From your quote above, you meant you were doing 4 passages daily till all of them got over? So can I say that there were 36 passages in toto? How much time were you taking on an average to get through them? Did you timed your RCs on daily basis?

I have purchased RC99 to get through[partly on your reference :) and some research of my own]. I am looking for soft copies for Kaplan's Mastery now. If I will not get them, I will order it from Amazon.

When you said "other than Kaplans", did you mean any other book of Kaplan?

BTW, Where are applying?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37337 posts